Bahtbus 20 baht ?

Pattaya46

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more or less expecting kind of a worse scenario. 

Minor compliance with the new rules by some drivers for a rather limited period of time --  set routes, expanded routes, no charters, maybe even bus stops THEN the price rise and THEN rather rapid degradation back to almost exactly what we had before, but with DOUBLED fares.

Obviously from the baht bus drivers POV, the radical changes could only be acceptable with a fare rise, but that doesn't mean the drivers like most of the new changes, or can really be expected to keep the changes going without strict enforcement ... and when have we ever seen strict (or really ANY) enforcement here over such matters? 

No, I don't like all of the theoretical "improvements" particularly the bus stop thing and the end of Soi Buakow service. Though I understand why for the latter if 3rd road service starts. 

Hope they prove me wrong ... but have seen so many of these ambitious transport plans fizzle before, why would this be different? 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

...... Hope they prove me wrong ... but have seen so many of these ambitious transport plans fizzle before, why would this be different? 

Because this one can be enforced by guns and boots if needed and the baht bus cooperative knows that. 

1 minute ago, ThaiBob said:

Because this one can be enforced by guns and boots if needed and the baht bus cooperative knows that. 

They can't be everywhere indefinitely. They know that too. So there might be some short term theater of compliance ... but really, how many resources is the government really willing to commit to that LONG TERM? 

It could be done with hard core punishments, like being kicked off the driving fleet for transgressions, but we all know that ain't gonna happen. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/6/2016 at 11:40 PM, whitemouse said:

So you are telling me baht bus takes you to your hotel or condo from North Rd bus terminal for 50 Baht. LOL 

Maybe you can then tell me why to motorcycle taxi boys charge no less than 100 baht to anywhere in Pattaya, given that baht bus takes you for 50

Standard fare from North Terminal was  always 100+ THB if they could find those willing to pay it.

That's a totally controlled  mafia kind of arrangement.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They can't be everywhere indefinitely. They know that too. So there might be some short term theater of compliance ... but really, how many resources is the government really willing to commit to that LONG TERM? 

It could be done with hard core punishments, like being kicked off the driving fleet for transgressions, but we all know that ain't gonna happen. 

As ever in Thailand money will be funnelled upwards to a Mr Big, <deleted> Put the squeeze on baht bus antics should result in less income and fewer clients (baht bus drivers) for Mr Big. Mr Big then goes to the army and either

1. agrees to discipline his drivers into behaving in a more regulated and orderly fashion. The army responds by agreeing to a rise in fares.

or

2. Mr Big agrees to some other unrelated condition the army have. The army back off and the situation slowly returns to the normal traffic chaos.

Many ways to skin a cat and everything is inter-related. It is all opaque so who knows.

• 1 month later...
On 26/12/2016 at 3:01 PM, Jingthing said:

They should employ you as a Baht Bus consultant.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

UPDATE: As of 27th Jan, Baht Buses charging 10 Baht as ever. RUMOUR is that the change will occur Feb 1st but I have no evidence to support that.

There is a big banner slung accross Pattaya/Naklua road this morning in English saying something about busses and Feb 1st. I'll try to get a photo later.

Edited by champers
Spellink errur

6 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I'm told that when going to or from Jomtien, over the "hill", no matter where you get off/on either side, it's been 20 Baht since January 1st. 

It's been established already that is not correct. I also paid the standard 10 baht recently. Feb 1st could be a different story. 

On 12/5/2016 at 4:46 PM, mcfish said:

This will be the end of Pattaya,. Everybody I know is packing up and heading home.. Just thought I would put that out there before any one else

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Your right,i read recently the #1 reason a member was moving to Patts was for the 10 baht songtaew.,guess he will be moving now.

On 12/6/2016 at 4:01 AM, AbeSurd said:

This thread is all a bit 'post-truth' for me so far.

So far no one is confirming the OP's assertion.

The OP says it's on "FB". I believe this may refer to Facebook. I don't use Facebook. Can anyone confirm this is on Facebook?

I can't see this story in the Pattaya news thread on the ThaiVisa website I am used to using.

The OP doesn't say that this applies to Pattaya. Maybe it only applies to baht buses in Chiang Mai or elsewhere?

"Baht Bus" is peculiar only to Patts.Nowhere else has them.

On 12/6/2016 at 4:27 PM, mcfish said:

It's been 50 baht for a long time now. You can't expect wages to go up and inflation and leave it at 20 baht. It always amuses me when tourists fly half way around the world, ready to drop 5k USA $ and then storm off the Baht bus for a fare that amounts to one dollar and fifty cents.. Very strange behaviour

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

It's the principle.

On 12/11/2016 at 11:28 AM, Pattaya46 said:

So, after one week and no other media confirming this fee increase,  will ThaiVisa News publish a new post to inform us it was just yet another unfounded rumor? :whistling:

I doubt it.They never do retractions,eg 10 year visa fake news.

28 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Your right,i read recently the #1 reason a member was moving to Patts was for the 10 baht songtaew.,guess he will be moving now.

Sad days if true - that said I may have to consider a mix of baht buses , walking and cycling in the light of such an increase. They've got to increase about 1000 % though to equal Phuket's economy killing tuk-tuks. As others have said one would walk for short trips instead of taking the 10baht lazy option so your health increases (assuming you take especial precautions to stay safe on these treacherous roads) - so as an optimist it could be a winning situation .....

Russians call baht buses tuk tuk when used as buses and the adaptable baht bus drivers play along with that. Typically Russians will ask tuk tuk? to inquire if they will be entering a bus fare ride. Da.

The Jomtien to Pattaya fare as far as Pattaya Klang is still 10 baht. People get confused and spread false rumors everyone year especially in high season because a minority of rogue drivers demand 20. If there is an official change we will know when it happens.

5 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Why is it called a bus, when it is clearly a songtaew?Do Thais call it a baht bus?Is it because lazy farangs find it too hard to say songtaew?

Possibly the same reason Thais speaking English say "Bangkok" but speaking Thai say "Krungthep"?? It's only pretentious farang speaking English who say "Krungthep"