Bahtbus 20 baht ?

Pattaya46

ThaiVisa News announced yesterday on FB

that the baht bus fare will increase to 20 baht on January 1st... :blink:

so I am surprised to not find any huge topic on this very "touchy" subject ?? :wink:

Any one knows more about that? Any official announcement somewhere?

Edited by Pattaya46

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mcfish said:

This will be the end of Pattaya,. Everybody I know is packing up and heading home.. Just thought I would put that out there before any one else

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

You just gotta laugh at comments like that!

When in Pattaya I usually have a rent scooter and also use Baht bus if convenient.

At 20 Baht for every ride (however short it is) I will turn to scooter more often.

Here in upcountry 15 Baht buys the granddaughter a 16 km ride in the "Baht bus" (song thaeow) to the district town.

Just as an aside: I was on 2nd road yesterday and asked a baht bus if he was going to Naklua. About half the buses go to Naklua, the other half to Beach Road. The baht bus driver shouted "200 Baht". He must have had a bad day. 

This thread is all a bit 'post-truth' for me so far.

So far no one is confirming the OP's assertion.

The OP says it's on "FB". I believe this may refer to Facebook. I don't use Facebook. Can anyone confirm this is on Facebook?

I can't see this story in the Pattaya news thread on the ThaiVisa website I am used to using.

The OP doesn't say that this applies to Pattaya. Maybe it only applies to baht buses in Chiang Mai or elsewhere?

6 hours ago, champers said:

Just as an aside: I was on 2nd road yesterday and asked a baht bus if he was going to Naklua. About half the buses go to Naklua, the other half to Beach Road. The baht bus driver shouted "200 Baht". He must have had a bad day. 

Sounds like he thought you wanted to hire him privately to go to Naklua.

4 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

Yep, talking to a baht bus driver means you're chartering. Most you can do is give the hand signal for north or turn and he'll pass you up if not. Probably. ;) If there are locals also waiting, you might ask them as they sometimes know.

11 hours ago, champers said:

5 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

It's been said before that usually (always?) when a farang asks a baht bus driver a question about a destination it is automatically translated into a request for a private taxi hire to that destination.

[edited to add:]

Whoops, didn't see JSixpack's post.   We're both saying the same thing in different ways.

Edited by wpcoe

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If it happens I would hope they erect signs. So would it mean long rides go up 40?

Funny you should mention that. What do you think about the following situation as you seem to use these vehicles certainly much more than I do?

I don’t go to Bangkok that often but I did about 2  months ago arriving back at the big bus station near Bangkok Hospital late at night. When I boarded one of the parked baht buses the driver immediately advised the fully occupied  bus that everyone would need to pay 50 baht. I just assumed it was a kind of penalty rate (or ransom fare) because it was so late at night and there didn’t seem to be any baht  buses running along the road outside the bus station. So there were a few moans and grumbles amongst the passengers but everybody reluctantly agreed to pay that rate because there were no other options.

But this morning I made a very quick trip to Bangkok and returned to Pattaya about 1:30 PM. I was one of the first passengers off the bus without any luggage so when I boarded the baht bus today there was just me and a Thai lady. When the driver said again 50 baht the lady immediately objected and so did I! I said I thought it was 20 baht but the driver said go out onto the road if you want to pay 20 baht (and yet people on this forum have said it should only be 10 baht outside ).

There were scores of people leaving the bus station and crossing the road to get a baht bus that was already waiting and he was charging 20 baht to Walking St.

My question is I wonder by how much will the 50 baht fare from the bus station go up in January? And it’s not a great impression for first-time tourists arriving here to see residents objecting to being overcharged.

Yeah, but I consider that bus greeting thing as a special exception to regular service, but sure, I would expect it to go up too.

To add, I'm not endorsing the news in the O.P. as true.

Like the news of the new Long Stay visa, for full details, we'll need to WAIT. 

Funny you should mention that. What do you think about the following situation as you seem to use these vehicles certainly much more than I do?
I don’t go to Bangkok that often but I did about 2  months ago arriving back at the big bus station near Bangkok Hospital late at night. When I boarded one of the parked baht buses the driver immediately advised the fully occupied  bus that everyone would need to pay 50 baht. I just assumed it was a kind of penalty rate (or ransom fare) because it was so late at night and there didn’t seem to be any baht  buses running along the road outside the bus station. So there were a few moans and grumbles amongst the passengers but everybody reluctantly agreed to pay that rate because there were no other options.
But this morning I made a very quick trip to Bangkok and returned to Pattaya about 1:30 PM. I was one of the first passengers off the bus without any luggage so when I boarded the baht bus today there was just me and a Thai lady. When the driver said again 50 baht the lady immediately objected and so did I! I said I thought it was 20 baht but the driver said go out onto the road if you want to pay 20 baht (and yet people on this forum have said it should only be 10 baht outside ).
There were scores of people leaving the bus station and crossing the road to get a baht bus that was already waiting and he was charging 20 baht to Walking St.
My question is I wonder by how much will the 50 baht fare from the bus station go up in January? And it’s not a great impression for first-time tourists arriving here to see residents objecting to being overcharged.

It's been 50 baht for a long time now. You can't expect wages to go up and inflation and leave it at 20 baht. It always amuses me when tourists fly half way around the world, ready to drop 5k USA $ and then storm off the Baht bus for a fare that amounts to one dollar and fifty cents.. Very strange behaviour

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, but I consider that bus greeting thing as a special exception to regular service, but sure, I would expect it to go up too.

To add, I'm not endorsing the news in the O.P. as true.

Like the news of the new Long Stay visa, for full details, we'll need to WAIT. 

it's already made television news anyway ( at 3.43 minutes on the video on the Thai Visa home Page)

billed as " baht bus fare shock rise "

http://www.thaivisa.com/

19 minutes ago, mcfish said:

It's been 50 baht for a long time now. You can't expect wages to go up and inflation and leave it at 20 baht. It always amuses me when tourists fly half way around the world, ready to drop 5k USA $ and then storm off the Baht bus for a fare that amounts to one dollar and fifty cents.. Very strange behaviour

I just paid 108 baht to travel from Ekkamai to Pattaya and you would then see nothing wrong with paying 50 baht to travel to Beach Road?:blink:

I just paid 108 baht to travel from Ekkamai to Pattaya and you would then see nothing wrong with paying 50 baht to travel to Beach Road?:blink:

Wouldn't have been 108 baht it's gone up as well lol

By the way the 50 baht is for hotel drop off in the immediate area.

Maybe you should just buy a back pack and walk, save the 50 for a Chang on the Way

4 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Wouldn't have been 108 baht it's gone up as well lol

no it hasn't.it was 108 at 6 o'clock this morning the Bangkok and 108 to return at 11.30 sitting in fairly comfortable seats with air-conditioning as opposed to sitting sideways on bench seats