No experience needed: Trump taps Carson for HUD secretary

webfact

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:
6 minutes ago, Silurian said:

True dat.

Do you think Dr Carson passed Calculus?

Yes I do, and I'm giving him extra credit for that.

Huh, and here I thought the US was divided into the "passing Calculus" side and "not passing Calculus" side. I thought I read that somewhere. I guess Dr. Carson is on both sides...hmmm.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Huh, and here I thought the US was divided into the "passing Calculus" side and "not passing Calculus" side. I thought I read that somewhere. I guess Dr. Carson is on both sides...hmmm.

I didn't say that. Every doctor has to pass Calculus. Medicine is a real degree. The other thing I was talking about Trump.

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I didn't say that. Every doctor has to pass Calculus. Medicine is a real degree. The other thing I was talking about Trump.

Ok, understood. My misunderstanding.

45 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Dr Carson and Don the Prez have something in common...lawsuits. Guess that is what makes him specifically qualified. All that arbitration experience will come in handy.

Ben Carson Was Sued for Malpractice at Least Eight Times

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/04/ben-carson-was-sued-for-malpractice-at-least-eight-times.html

Ben Carson's patients claim malpractice in star doctor's path to politics

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/04/ben-carson-malpractice-claims-doctor-for-president

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to questions Carson's fitness for the position. Like his unwillingness or inab[lity to acquaint himself with even basic facts.  No need to question his accomplishments as a surgeon.

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to questions Carson's fitness for the position. Like his unwillingness or inab[lity to acquaint himself with even basic facts.  No need to question his accomplishments as a surgeon.

I wasn't really trying to call out any question on Carson's surgical skills. I also understand that the more famous and more specialized doctor's tend to get more lawsuits.

I was just trying (unsuccessfully it seems) in a tongue in cheek manner that both Carson and Don the Prez are familiar with lawsuits and arbitration so that might come in handy as HUD secretary. Part of what HUD deals with are settlements and legal issues. It was the long way around and I failed miserably in the attempt...so I will stop here.

On 12/6/2016 at 8:34 AM, Pimay1 said:

That I believe. He will be the only secretary of the department of HUD to have actually lived in government housing. Certainly a step in the right direction. I wish him well.

Carson never lived in government housing:
The New York Times issued a correction Monday after saying that Carson aide Armstrong Williams originally told the paper that Carson was raised in public housing.
"Using information from a close friend of Ben Carson, the nominee for housing secretary, an earlier version of this article misstated that Mr. Carson spent part of his childhood in public housing," the Times wrote. "The friend, Armstrong Williams, said Monday that Mr. Carson had never lived in government housing."
( http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/06/politics/carson-public-housing/index.html?sr=fbpol120616carson-public-housing0501PMVODtopLink&linkId=32019045 )

3 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Carson never lived in government housing:
The New York Times issued a correction Monday after saying that Carson aide Armstrong Williams originally told the paper that Carson was raised in public housing.
"Using information from a close friend of Ben Carson, the nominee for housing secretary, an earlier version of this article misstated that Mr. Carson spent part of his childhood in public housing," the Times wrote. "The friend, Armstrong Williams, said Monday that Mr. Carson had never lived in government housing."
( http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/06/politics/carson-public-housing/index.html?sr=fbpol120616carson-public-housing0501PMVODtopLink&linkId=32019045 )

I stand corrected.

On 12/9/2016 at 5:58 AM, NeverSure said:

So you hire someone with a college degree in something like urban planning but who has no real world experience with the ghetto? You get an idealist who also is totally unqualified.

Your dire predictions about so much (including that Hillary would be the next POTUS) will just continue to be proven mistaken.

Cheers.

So you're saying that someone with a college degree in something like urban planning will have no real experience of the ghetto? You mean it's only brain surgeons who start out with experience of the ghetto?  What a ridiculous comment.

What's all this about Carson?

He grew up poor in the very ghettos he will be in charge of. And he knows nothing about them?

He managed to pull himself up by his bootstraps and get through college, medical school, and then on to become a neurosurgeon. It's apparent he's a genius.

He works for a big time real estate developer who will be the first POTUS in my lifetime with a goal of cleaning up the inner cities. Trump's knowledge of the business and Carson's knowledge of the culture are a perfect match.

Both men are very hard workers who don't know how to quit. Donald Jr. said "The way to get my father to do something is to tell him it can't be done." People could have told Carson that what he did couldn't be done.

My money is on this duo to do more for the inner cities than anyone has in 100 years. Just watch.

Cheers.

Spot on.

There are few that can empathize with the plight of those living in America's ghettos like Carson.

Carson is a figure that should inspire all Americans - black, white, yellow or brown. He is proof that anyone can succeed.

It is an inspired pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Carson is a "genius'.  What has he achieved that shows he has advanced human understanding in a major way?  I think it's very to say he's very intelligent. But so are a lot of illiterate people. The question at hand isn't the power of his intellect but what he knows. And he demonstrated during his campaign that he's abysmally ignorant about the issues.  

He saved many lives.

He used his brains to help people, not to sit on a campus doing research.

How many lives have you saved?

9 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

He saved many lives.

And him being a brain surgeon and saving people on the operating table helps him how in his new role?

55 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

He saved many lives.

I know what you mean. Like Henri Pasteur doing research that led to the discovery that bacteria can cause disease oror...oh I can't go on. Some comments are so self-evidently unintelligent that there's no need to pile on.

6 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I know what you mean. Like Henri Pasteur doing research that led to the discovery that bacteria can cause disease oror...oh I can't go on. Some comments are so self-evidently unintelligent that there's no need to pile on.

How silly you are.

Some people go into research, some people get hands on and save lives, them some people (like yourself) pick faults.

He was tapped for a reason, if not his experience as a brain surgeon it must be something else.
So the question is very relevant.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

He was tapped because of his bizarre right wing ideology that government should do nothing. He's there to gut that agency. He sleeps a lot. That should help. We're supposed to respect that man? As a surgeon I would? To run a large agency with zero experience with a background of being a sleepy Looney tunes. No!

2 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

How silly you are.

Some people go into research, some people get hands on and save lives, them some people (like yourself) pick faults.

Let me requote what you posted:

"He saved many lives.

He used his brains to help people, not to sit on a campus doing research."

Are you saying that research is irrelevant to what Brain surgeons do? That they are just born with this knowledge and somehow all the technology that helps them in their work just appears by magic? That 100 years ago brain surgeons were doing exactly what they do today and that in another 100 years they'll still be doing their work the same way?  Do you actually bother to think about the implications of what you write before you hit the keyboard?

He was tapped because of his bizarre right wing ideology that government should do nothing. He's there to gut that agency. He sleeps a lot. That should help. We're supposed to respect that man? As a surgeon I would? To run a large agency with zero experience with a background of being a sleepy Looney tunes. No!

Now that's a reason.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

One more reason why I do not intend to return to the USA. Trump cannot even be controlled by his own party.

While basing a residence, even in part on who is president seems a bit silly to me, especially since you landed in Thailand which is probably not one of the last bastions of freedom, I do respect the fact that you did move, as opposed to those many so-called celebrities who promise to move and never deliver.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On ‎06‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 6:45 AM, GinBoy2 said:

To anyone that has every worked in fairly senior levels of Corporate America, this is really familiar

CEO's appoint VP's lead business divisions, who may or may have experience, have personal tension with other VP's as a way to driver performance.

I have no idea whether or not that works at a Government level, but it's tactic I'm totally familiar with

The idea that the head of the department should have "experience" is just more Dems BS sour grapes misinformation propaganda. Heads of departments have many "advisors" to assist them.

Not having been in the corrupt Washington establishment is an advantage, as it means the < deleted > lobbyists will be at a disadvantage in trying to "buy" influence.

If a neurosurgeon can't decide which of his advisors' suggestions are worthy of merit, no one can.

The argument would have more substance if the current incompetents pretending to run departments had actually been able to have achieved anything in the past 8 years.

20 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

How silly you are.

LOL. Some people can't do anything, so they come on TVF and try to put down anyone that isn't approved by themselves, even if the reasons they give are ludicrous.

18 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Let me requote what you posted:

"He saved many lives.

He used his brains to help people, not to sit on a campus doing research."

Are you saying that research is irrelevant to what Brain surgeons do? That they are just born with this knowledge and somehow all the technology that helps them in their work just appears by magic? That 100 years ago brain surgeons were doing exactly what they do today and that in another 100 years they'll still be doing their work the same way?  Do you actually bother to think about the implications of what you write before you hit the keyboard?

Some people go into research, some people get hands on and save lives,

which he actually said is nothing like what you are implying with Are you saying that research is irrelevant to what Brain surgeons do?  ( type size nothing to do with me )

Got to love the fact that it was a lie that Carson lived in public housing so he was qualified based on that. Spin....spin...spin. Maybe it was that his childhood home was "near" a public housing complex....yeah, that's it. Maybe he could see it from his house.

The document that proves Ben Carson did NOT grow up in public or subsidized housing - which his spokesman said qualified him for cabinet role

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4006788/Document-proves-Ben-Carson-did-NOT-grow-public-subsidized-housing-spokesman-said-qualified-cabinet-role.html

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The idea that the head of the department should have "experience" is just more Dems BS sour grapes misinformation propaganda. Heads of departments have many "advisors" to assist them.

Not having been in the corrupt Washington establishment is an advantage, as it means the < deleted > lobbyists will be at a disadvantage in trying to "buy" influence.

If a neurosurgeon can't decide which of his advisors' suggestions are worthy of merit, no one can.

The argument would have more substance if the current incompetents pretending to run departments had actually been able to have achieved anything in the past 8 years.

Especially a neurosurgeon who has demonstrated time and time again that he is massively ignorant of the issues and never showed much interest in actually learning about them. You always want a person at the top who is completely unprejudiced by any knowledge of the situation. Because ignorance is power.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A neurosurgeon would know which medical advice to choose. They do not necessarily possess any relevant knowledge to make other decisions with similar professionalism.

If you feel that nothing have been achieved in the past 8 years (which is nothing more than a blanket  "misinformation propaganda", as you put it yourself), then you'd need to invent better arguments on how things will be improved by putting someone like Carson in charge. I know...I know..."I don't care", "Trump won!".

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Some people can't do anything, so they come on TVF and try to put down anyone that isn't approved by themselves, even if the reasons they give are ludicrous.

Some people can't even do that much, so they log on to troll other posters.

:coffee1:

16 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

While basing a residence, even in part on who is president seems a bit silly to me, especially since you landed in Thailand which is probably not one of the last bastions of freedom, I do respect the fact that you did move, as opposed to those many so-called celebrities who promise to move and never deliver.

The difference is that I have no interest in Thai politics because it is not my country. I have been here for two years, so  I did not leave because of Trump. Also, "freedom" exists in many different categories in Thailand. I am not particularly concerned about free speech.

The difference is that I have no interest in Thai politics because it is not my country. I have been here for two years, so  I did not leave because of Trump. Also, "freedom" exists in many different categories in Thailand. I am not particularly concerned about free speech.

Thanks for your thoughts. I must say that I believe that freedom of speech is a core freedom and the foundation for most if not all of our other freedoms. Without freedom of speech, I would say that our freedoms are severely limited. However, much like you, while in Thailand, not my circus, not my monkeys.