stamped in @ nong khai for 2 years on 0-A

stamped in @ nong khai for 2 years on 0-A 

my O-A  from Los Angelas, expires Dec 7, today, I crossed from VTE to Nong Khai yesterday, expecting a 1 year stamp, but got two years. 

now that the visa is expired , I plan on getting a re entry permit  near the end of my stay, end of January, 

will that re entry permit , also, be good for 2 years to the end of the stamp ?

or how does it work ?

4 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

The Re Entry Permit is valid until the end of your stay which should be one more year.

Looks like they made a mistake.

Pop along to Immigration and get it changed.

actually, when I noticed it said 2018, I went back and asked, and they confirmed it was 2 years. 

perhaps there is some new rule ?

I certainly don't want to "pop along" anywhere, much less chang wattana, without a good reason

• Like 1

The "reason" being that it is YOUR responsibility to have the correct stamps, and change them if they are faulty....

So you will be the one they will blame and debit you for overstay..... So do as Lite Beer suggests.. go and make things right otherwise you will end up in the cellar..

Glegolo

• Like 2

If it were  me I would not count on the  2nd  year being considered  valid at  end of the  first year! In fact it  could  be a  major problem if at any time before that you have a need to deal  with immigration  some place other than the location that  made the  mistake if there was suspicion it  is a fraudulent  entry. Safer to approach them to  "verify" the stamp date then request  a  re-entry .

• Like 1

If the IO gave you 2 years it was a mistake. The maximum permission allowed from a Non 'O-A' visa entry is 1 year so you need to get it changed, although it doesn't need to be done immediately. You can get the error corrected and buy the re-entry permit at the same visit to immigration. They will spot the error when you apply for the re-entry permit even if you don't point it out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

No he won't be on overstay even if they screwed up his visa dates he would still have a year so not on overstay

If he attempted to stay in Thailand for the full two years he would eventually be on overstay. Saying that he can be on overstay does not mean he would immediately be on overstay.

11 hours ago, chubby said:

i will probably do the permit  at the airport on the way out .

Not sure if immigrations at the airport can correct errors in your entry stamp. You may be surprised to find that they tell you that you need to go to CW to get the entry stamp corrected before they can issue you with a re-entry permit. They definitely would not issue you an re-entry permit that expired two years out.

At the very least you'll probably spend a lot longer at the airport trying to get the re-entry permit than you expected and it could be refused until the error is corrected.

16 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

If it were  me I would not count on the  2nd  year being considered  valid at  end of the  first year! In fact it  could  be a  major problem if at any time before that you have a need to deal  with immigration  some place other than the location that  made the  mistake if there was suspicion it  is a fraudulent  entry. Safer to approach them to  "verify" the stamp date then request  a  re-entry .

This is the right approach. It you go to Chaeng Wattana, and they verify its authenticity, and they give you the re-entry permit, you will be on much more solid ground. Otherwise, you are, as was mentioned previously, courting disaster past the first year, and needlessly I might add. These situations never break in our favor. And if there was no correspondent increase in fees, count on a reversal. 

• Like 2

Hi. relating to this topic,i am due to go to Lao for a new SETV, i am thinking of taking a domestic flight by Lao Airways direct to Vientiene but that will take me directly into Lao so will that mean i will then have to cross from Vienteine airport back into Thailand to exit at Nong Kai & then go back into Lao to the Lao embassy?? if so that will be a very messy proceedure.

Thanks for any welcome advise

6 minutes ago, ray richards said:

Hi. relating to this topic,i am due to go to Lao for a new SETV, i am thinking of taking a domestic flight by Lao Airways direct to Vientiene but that will take me directly into Lao so will that mean i will then have to cross from Vienteine airport back into Thailand to exit at Nong Kai & then go back into Lao to the Lao embassy?? if so that will be a very messy proceedure.

Thanks for any welcome advise

When you arrive at the airport in Vientiane you will get the Lao visa on arrival there.

Then you can go directly to the Thai embassy consular section to apply for your visa if you arrive early enough.

Completely agree with the posters who indicate you should go to a regular immigration office to sort this out. The airport will ask you all kinds of questions while they investigate this. Go to Chaengwattana to sort the dates out then get the re-entry permit. Mistakes like this have been reported on this board and it is always the passport holder that is found responsible and in some cases when overstay is involved has to pay the fee. 

• Like 1

yes, i see the consensus, what a pain, not sure how they managed to do this. 

however, I was told by airport immigration to NOT get my reentry permit , until it is near my departure (end of january) , as the reentry date would be shortened.

so:

do I go to CW  now  for the fix  to 1 year  permission to stay,  THEN  in near end of january go again    to get reentry permit?

OR:

do re-entry permit  now, with the fix on the stamp? 

OR: wait and do both end of January ? 

btw, what is suggested arrival time at CW to avoid  long lines  for  my 2 tasks  above ?   

I was hoping the 2 years might be real, as they should know what they are doing @ Nong Khai , 2 different agents  confirmed the 2 years .......etc 

6 minutes ago, chubby said:

however, I was told by airport immigration to NOT get my reentry permit , until it is near my departure (end of january) , as the reentry date would be shortened.

That is not correct.

When you get a re-entry permit it is issued to the date your current permit stay ends which should be December 6th, 2017.

Not sure what would be the best time to arrive would be but my suggestion would be there shortly after they open 8:30.

well, that seems to make 3 immigration officers, giving wrong information and stamps.

i guess, I always imagined, they would know their business  well, the don meung  reentry permit guy, had a stack of reentry permits next to him, i can't imagine, he is doing everyone of them wrong, hmmm

Check, check and double check. I'm on O-A extension of stay. Coming back from Lao at the Nong Khai border the immigration man in the booth stamped my date wrong, I say booth because I was with a contractor for the US Embassy. He caught it on his computer screen the same time I did and took passport back, scratched through the incorrect date, put the right one in and and scribbled his name. The next day I went straight to immigration in Udon and showed Mr. 90 day. He looked it over and said no problem it's OK now. Why should I sweat it out not knowing if the correction was good or not? Wait too long and immigration may not straighten it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chubby said:

well, that seems to make 3 immigration officers, giving wrong information and stamps.

i guess, I always imagined, they would know their business  well, 

Probably too many for being just a coincidence, isn'it?

I am surprised that this successful "business model", it's not much more widespread of what currently is.

Think about it, you go out to buy any services/product listed at a very cheap price, only to find out when the bill comes, that it was multiple times what the real cost should have been, and you get sent straight to prison if you don't promptly fork out the cash.....the list of TTT here on TV telling you that it's all your fault, would be almost endless :partytime2: 

3 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

Check, check and double check. I'm on O-A extension of stay. Coming back from Lao at the Nong Khai border the immigration man in the booth stamped my date wrong, I say booth because I was with a contractor for the US Embassy. He caught it on his computer screen the same time I did and took passport back, scratched through the incorrect date, put the right one in and and scribbled his name. The next day I went straight to immigration in Udon and showed Mr. 90 day. He looked it over and said no problem it's OK now. Why should I sweat it out not knowing if the correction was good or not? Wait too long and immigration may not straighten it out.

so immigration at  CW, is likely to be more competent  than    Nong Khai  and  Don Meung ?   

I still can't believe that Don Meung is doing all their  re-entry permits  incorrectly by this agent 

6 hours ago, chubby said:

i guess, I always imagined, they would know their business  well, the don meung  reentry permit guy, had a stack of reentry permits next to him, i can't imagine, he is doing everyone of them wrong, hmmm

is it the entry stamp that is wrong or  you have a re-entry stamp that is wrong, you seem in a catty way to be inferring that.

ya i dont know what 'catty' means.  but if you read above, it should make sense.

i have no re-entry permit yet.

so i don't think i have a 're entry stamp'  if that is what you meant

it is my entry stamp, at nong khai , 1 day before the visa expired