West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

Let me just clear one thing up about the MLS Game, firstly it was played on surface in which we were severly uncomfortable with & selected a Team to play on it leaving the likes of Bellamy & Noble out because of it, secondly & most importantly of all, the MLS won the All Star Game last year, the year before, this year against us & will win it next year WHOEVER they play, if you get my drift... :o

Faubert never impressed me at all on the Tour.

Bellamy did in Columbus & Ashton did in both Games, as did the Kids, Widdowson was good, Jordan Spence also along with Stanislas who i like, Collison too..

Bearing in mind we had Sears & Tomkins not there as they were playing for England Under 19's, it's obvious that the Academy is still producing quality & HUGE thanks must go to Tony Carr for this.

The future is good & the Tour was a complete success..

COYI..

Edited by MSingh

I've got something to send us into a state of depression...

What was many of our biggest concern & gripe last year ??

Injuries..

Now just have a look at the below, it had to clear up & soon too otherwise thoe Ladbrokes odds at having Curbishley as favourite to be sacked first look pretty good indeed..

M.I.A: current status

Lee Bowyer: back in full training; may feature for reserves this weekend

Matthew Etherington: one brief pre-season run-out; may play at Grays for reserves this weekend

Dean Ashton: illness; hoping to play at Ipswich on Monday

Kieron Dyer: break; still hoping to make comeback at Ipswich next week

James Tomkins: recovering from knee injury picked up on England duty; possibly Villarreal

Freddie Sears: took a knock (foot) against Cambridge; possibly Ipswich, probably Villarreal

George McCartney: back in full training; should return prior to season kick-off

Luis Boa Morte: light training; return date unknown

Nigel Quashie: unknown foot injury, out since last March; return date unknown

Danny Gabbidon: still recovering from therapy; return date unknown

James Collins: recovering from cruciate; could be back by September

Jonathan Spector: torn labrum; hoping to return in January 2009

Carlton Cole: ankle; unknown

Freddie Ljungberg: given extended leave after Euro 08; current whereabouts/return date unknown

I've got something to send us into a state of depression...

What was many of our biggest concern & gripe last year ??

Injuries..

Now just have a look at the below, it had to clear up & soon too otherwise thoe Ladbrokes odds at having Curbishley as favourite to be sacked first look pretty good indeed..

M.I.A: current status

Lee Bowyer: back in full training; may feature for reserves this weekend

Matthew Etherington: one brief pre-season run-out; may play at Grays for reserves this weekend

Dean Ashton: illness; hoping to play at Ipswich on Monday

Kieron Dyer: break; still hoping to make comeback at Ipswich next week

James Tomkins: recovering from knee injury picked up on England duty; possibly Villarreal

Freddie Sears: took a knock (foot) against Cambridge; possibly Ipswich, probably Villarreal

George McCartney: back in full training; should return prior to season kick-off

Luis Boa Morte: light training; return date unknown

Nigel Quashie: unknown foot injury, out since last March; return date unknown

Danny Gabbidon: still recovering from therapy; return date unknown

James Collins: recovering from cruciate; could be back by September

Jonathan Spector: torn labrum; hoping to return in January 2009

Carlton Cole: ankle; unknown

Freddie Ljungberg: given extended leave after Euro 08; current whereabouts/return date unknown

The club made some progress with the recent appointments, 2 in the physio dept and a new doctor l believe, but it is the fitness department where the news faces are needed. The above people are good at rehabilatation when players are injured, but a top fitness trainer might avoid some of the injuries in the first place.

As l mentioned before l work as a personal trainer in the UK and Thailand, l first qualified 17 years ago so l have a bit of insight into the fitness side of things, on the opening day of pre-season the club website proudly announced that the players had done a double training session and a gym session on the first day. 3 sessions on the first day back is insane, the club has no real control what the players do during the summer hoildays, you would hope that being the consumate professionals they are, some basic cardio vascular work would have been done during the break but the reality is they don't know. Now most clubs would be fitness testing the boys on the first day, but no not us, lets hammer the F### out of them and see where that gets us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sports science is such a fast moving subject, unfortunately West Ham seems to be in the dark ages with their approach !! :o:D

Bellamy is now unlikely to start the season after injuring his hamstring at Ipswich last night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In all the pre-season games bar one this season we have failed to keep a clean sheet ........................ a bit worrying :o:D

West Ham and Freddie Ljungberg have parted company.

According to the West Ham Website they have reached a mutual agreement about the termination of his contract.

This from soccernet.

West Ham Utd terminate Ljungberg's contract

Updated: August 6, 2008, 10:25 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

West Ham United claim they have come to an agreement 'mutually acceptable to both parties' after reports Swedish midfielder Fredrik Ljungberg was allowed to exit Upton Park with a £6million pay-off.

The 31-year-old has left the Hammers - after joining them only 12 months ago from Arsenal - and has thrashed out 'undisclosed terms' over the termination of his contract, which had one year and an option for another to run.

Ljungberg made 25 starts for the Hammers after his £3million move across London last summer but failed to make much impact following a largely golden nine-year spell at Highbury, where he helped the Gunners win two Premier League titles and three FA Cups.

Injuries slowed down his career under Arsene Wenger and he was on the treatment table after his opening match for West Ham last August.

He finished the season with a cracked rib, threatening his participation in the Euro 2008 finals, but was eventually passed fit for Sweden's campaign.

West Ham have denied the decision to let him go has anything to do with his seemingly unreliable fitness, insisting in a club statement 'he proved himself fit at Euro 2008'.

To West Ham fans it will look like the first instalment in clearing the decks after the massive spending on new players under former chairman Eggert Magnusson last season.

Ljungberg, who has asked his agent to see what offers could now come his way in England, Italy and Spain, explained: 'I gave my all at West Ham and enjoyed my time there but the decision is the best for the both of us.

'Now I will take my time to consider my football future.'

Hammers chief executive Scott Duxbury said: 'We respect Freddie Ljungberg's position and are pleased we could reach agreement and wish him all the best in the future.

'This deal is mutually acceptable to both parties.'

Although West Ham have since disputed claims manager Alan Curbishley is under pressure to drastically cut the squad and the wage bill this season, their only significant buy this summer has been Switzerland's left back Valon Behrami for £5million from Lazio - following the sale of striker Bobby Zamora and defender John Pantsil to Fulham for a combined £6.3million.

The Hammers have now been linked with a bid for Manchester United's French forward Louis Saha and boss Curbishley could find himself short up front after more injury problems for Craig Bellamy and Kieron Dyer.

The pair cost £13.5million between them a year ago but missed most of the season after Bellamy needed groin surgery and Dyer suffered a double fracture of his right leg.

Comeback man Dyer has since been sidelined again for an estimated two more months after a stress fracture while Bellamy damaged a hamstring against Ipswich in a friendly on Monday night.

The Hammers have now been linked with a bid for Manchester United's French forward Louis Saha and boss Curbishley could find himself short up front after more injury problems for Craig Bellamy and Kieron Dyer.

That's all we need.

Another cripple.

West Ham and Freddie Ljungberg have parted company.

According to the West Ham Website they have reached a mutual agreement about the termination of his contract.

Lazybergs presence at the club must have been unsettling for other players considering the wages he was repuated to be on, but l doubt he got 6 million thats just short of the value of the rest of his contract. The fact that he has gone with a large sum of money l think will do little to impress the likes of Rob Green who are chasing and deserving of better wages.

Now if only they can get Boa-Morte and Neill to follow suit !!!!!! :o:D

Having a look at Knees Up Mother Brown today if you check out the news section and then comments that follow seems to be alot of unhappy fans out there. The situation with the board and the manager regarding Lazyberg seems to all getting piled unfairly on Curbishleys head it seems. Whatever the fianal figure in the payoff was, it seems inconceivable that board could say it was Curbishley's decision, no manger gets invovled in payoff's surely ??

Looks as though Ashton could be sold after all, lf he does go l think the board will have sold themselves a one-way ticket with the fans. We are so short on fire power upfront l can't even believe it enters their chain of thought, if the wage bill needs reducing why not get rid of Boa-Morte, Bowyer, Neill and Mullins. Then again who is going to take on a lemon like Boa-Morte on the wages he is on, my dad had an idea for Lazyberg and Boa-Morte make them play in reserves every week, they would soon get pi##ed off and buck up their ideas.

I too am one of the unhappy Fans, i must say i've got no enthusiasm for this year & i'm not one of those Fans with unrealistic ambitions of the CL at all, i suppose it's just us being stuck in what seems to mediocrity for us, whcih is boring as a West Ham Fan.. :o

1-1 today, i'll be over the moon getting the Season strated with 3 points but we'll see..

COYI

I too am one of the unhappy Fans, i must say i've got no enthusiasm for this year & i'm not one of those Fans with unrealistic ambitions of the CL at all, i suppose it's just us being stuck in what seems to mediocrity for us, whcih is boring as a West Ham Fan.. :D

1-1 today, i'll be over the moon getting the Season strated with 3 points but we'll see..

COYI

I'm not feeling over the moon or under it; we definitely had a poor second half but we did show flashes of good passing and movement at times.. I thought Neil had a reasonable game and Faubert was a threat with his pace but after Parker took that knock we gave the midfield to them; Palacios really gave Noble a bad time. I'm a Mark Noble fan, but the number of times he gave the ball away was totally frustrating. Carlton Cole also had a mixed game I like the way he holds the ball up when it was hoofed up to him but he seems to need too much time to make up his mind about the next step so he was often robbed by sharper Wigan defenders. He doesn't seem to compliment Dean Ashton either. He was another who had contrasting halves. When Sears came on I thought we started looking more dangerous on the break. However you have to give a thumbs up to Wigan. They reminded me of Man City on the opening day of last season and played some good football at times. Anyway there were a few positives from yesterday -especially the first goal!! Some of the mistakes will be ironed out when the players gel, get really match fit and dare I say it some come back from the treatment room. :o .

I think we should go for the Jugular against Satay on Sunday, i wasn't that happy with the Second Half on Saturday but we grinded out the win & that's important..

I really do feel we need to strenghthen before the Window shuts, especially if Ferdinand goes like he appears to be.

Also i think we have to strenghthen in other areas too but apparently Curbishley feels that we will be fine " When we get all of our Players back from Injury " !!!!!!!!!!!

Bwahahahaha, never in a million years & a stupid & unrealistic comment to make from the Manager..

The West Ham thread seems very quiet, and l think the silence speaks a thousand words !!

What a dreadful game Sunday, l think regardless of the sending off the result would have been the same, l feel for those loyal supporters who have probably spent in excess of 200 quid to go up there watch that.

We were awful in the middle of the park, Faubert hardly completed a pass all afternoon, and Matty Etherington would you even notice he was playing ???? Surely we need to bring in a decent midfielder before the window closes.

On the plus side Behrami looked ok to me, at least he made an effort !! Personally l don't rate Curbishley l never have but l think events off the field have conspired against him in the last few months, and l don't think he stands a chance. Anyway all we can do is hope for better Saturday, we have a reasonable record against Blackburn and l would love to put one over Ince. Has anyone noticed how fat Paul Ince's face is nowdays, his neck his fighting his chin to get out of his shirts !! :o:D

The West Ham thread seems very quiet, and l think the silence speaks a thousand words !!

What a dreadful game Sunday, l think regardless of the sending off the result would have been the same, l feel for those loyal supporters who have probably spent in excess of 200 quid to go up there watch that.

We were awful in the middle of the park, Faubert hardly completed a pass all afternoon, and Matty Etherington would you even notice he was playing ???? Surely we need to bring in a decent midfielder before the window closes.

On the plus side Behrami looked ok to me, at least he made an effort !! Personally l don't rate Curbishley l never have but l think events off the field have conspired against him in the last few months, and l don't think he stands a chance. Anyway all we can do is hope for better Saturday, we have a reasonable record against Blackburn and l would love to put one over Ince. Has anyone noticed how fat Paul Ince's face is nowdays, his neck his fighting his chin to get out of his shirts !! :D:D

I thought we started pretty well; the first ten minutes, at least but then we didn't seem to be able find an outlet to the strikers. I suppose we depend on Carlton Cole too much and our options became more limited when he went off injured. I thought Faubert and Etherington were anonymous too but the worse culprits were the same as last week; Paul Parker and Mark Noble. I don't think Parker is 100 % fit He looked off the pace against Wigan and Mark Noble has looked out of his depth so far. This is a shame because last season he put in some good performances. Who is to blame? There seems to be a dark cloud hanging over the club not helped by lack of communication from the board and AC's usual flat attempt at explaining things. Reading the West Ham Online forum people are starting to point the finger at the chairman and Duxbury. There's certainly a lot of paranoia but in the long term I see things improving with the academy players and Nani's connections overseas. I think Curbishley is worth supporting despite his terrible PR with the media and non-existent personality, as he has a good track record of bringing through players However with the high rollers on the treatment table it's going to take a season of consolidation before we start pushing for the top 6 or so. Anyway at least our neighbours from N17 are not having the greatest start to the season, :o Keep the faith and Come on you Irons!!!

l think it's difficult to pinpoint the clubs problems without knowing what is going behind the scenes, but although l don't rate Curbishley l think we have to get behind him, that's what we've always done at West Ham so why not for him.

The worry for me is all the turmoil off the pitch is bound to have a knock on effect on the players, and we all know what that can mean.

Nani was a step in the right direction with the influence and respect that he has around europe, because Curbishley has not bought well which ever way you look at it, but now the club has to make the best out of what we have, hopefully when Bellamy and McCartney come back Neill can push over to right side and Behrami can move into midfield. Anyway lets hope for better Saturday, and hopefully no banana skin tomorrow night !!!!

Please take Ferdinand back before it's too late!!! Don't want him!!

8 million????

We're just getting our own back after we took back Gentleman Don Hutchinson for a ridiculous sum, not so long ago. :o However Anton isn't that bad when off the treatment table and when he hasn't been on the razz at a few local night spots. :D

Please take Ferdinand back before it's too late!!! Don't want him!!

8 million????

Ha ha too late...

Actually, he's probably better that anyone else you have, but not as good as Rio.. Too good for a small club from a Northern scumpit anyway.. :o

He's also had a few issues off the pitch which he'll hopefully learn from, depending on who else is there to lead him astray.

I was told earlier by a Friend of mine who was at the Ground earlier buying Tickets for an Away Game that he saw Stephen Appiah ( Fenrbache Midfielder ) getting into a Chauffer driven Motor being whisked away from teh Ground all smiles..The Guy knows his Football & Footballers & is admanet that it was him, i don't know a lot about Appiah if i'm honest though exceopt that he's a Central Midfielder ( where i think we need to stregthen ) & the Ghananan Captain or was anyway..

I've got a question for you Chaps..

What Team out of the below is the odd one out & why ??

T*ttenham

Sunderland

Everton

West Ham

Man Satay

Villa

Pompey

It could be Pompey, the only club with a p in the name and the only one named after a failed Roman general but I'm afraid it could be us, as we're the only club in the list never to have won the title. :o

T*ttenham

Sunderland

Everton

West Ham

Man Satay

Villa

Pompey

It could be Pompey, the only club with a p in the name and the only one named after a failed Roman general but I'm afraid it could be us, as we're the only club in the list never to have won the title. :o

I would at a guess say west ham but the reason why would be they have no chance of ever winning a title

:D

T*ttenham

Sunderland

Everton

West Ham

Man Satay

Villa

Pompey

It could be Pompey, the only club with a p in the name and the only one named after a failed Roman general but I'm afraid it could be us, as we're the only club in the list never to have won the title. :D

I would at a guess say west ham but the reason why would be they have no chance of ever winning a title

:D

Well there is that but at least we have never proclaimed to be in the hunt for the Title or bang on about breaking the Top 4 every Summer..:o

Anyway's, the answer to the question of course is West Ham & why ??

We're the only <deleted> Club out of that lot that allegedly have aspirations of finishing higher than our League position last year but have failed to strenghthen the Squad we have over the Summer, i'm hearing really bad things out of the Club at the moment & have a really bad feeling in my stomoch about the current Ownership..

I watched this game while listening to Reading beat Palace (sadly no more live Reading games).

WHU were pretty impressive..Bellamy has not lost his touch...maybe some punters would have made a grave mistake to back AC who is the favorite with the Bookies to be the fisrt casualty of the managerial merry-go-round,,,sems to be doing OK ..I think 6 points out of nine...I could be wrong but I think I am right.

I am still sticking to Ramos to be the first to go, Spurs play Chelsea tomorrow and that will leave them even lower than Hull or Stoke

Ramos will go and Gus will take over..mark my words..sorry this has nothing to do with WHU, but I know you don't have any compassion for any other London club...why would you????

But of course I could (and am usaually am) wrong

I watched this game while listening to Reading beat Palace (sadly no more live Reading games).

WHU were pretty impressive..Bellamy has not lost his touch...maybe some punters would have made a grave mistake to back AC who is the favorite with the Bookies to be the fisrt casualty of the managerial merry-go-round,,,sems to be doing OK ..I think 6 points out of nine...I could be wrong but I think I am right.

I am still sticking to Ramos to be the first to go, Spurs play Chelsea tomorrow and that will leave them even lower than Hull or Stoke

Ramos will go and Gus will take over..mark my words..sorry this has nothing to do with WHU, but I know you don't have any compassion for any other London club...why would you????

But of course I could (and am usaually am) wrong

I don't think Ramos will be sacked but he could eventually walk if Tottenham continue to 'underachieve' I wonder who is teaching him English because he's not ready to step up and do an interview with the TV and press. On more important matters I feel happy for Alan Curbishley; it was an imperfect but commited performance and we had some neat play at times with Noble, Berahmi, Parker, Carlton Cole,Faubert and Callum Davenport -the new Peter Crouch :o looking especially lively. However it could have been different if Blackburn had taken their chances. Jason Roberts always has a good game against us-apart from the pen, today- and it was a great goal he scored. Bellamy-the illustrated man-had a good cameo. He's carrying more tatoos than a Hells Angel veteran . Still a lot of things need to be improved but we looked a lot sharper than the Wigan and City games. As for the other London clubs I hope the mighty Orient manage to have a good season but that's just about all I'm willing to concede. :D Good comeback by your club by the way.