West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

Curbs has definitely had a charisma by-pass operation but he knows how to run a football club

Same could be said for Sir red nose. So here's hoping. :o

Can't find a link to Ashton's goal. But keep an eye out - in Roy of The Rovers speak - it's a "real corker".

Heard the rumour - Ashton's last for us, etc ?

Curbs has definitely had a charisma by-pass operation but he knows how to run a football club

Same could be said for Sir red nose. So here's hoping. :D

Can't find a link to Ashton's goal. But keep an eye out - in Roy of The Rovers speak - it's a "real corker".

Heard the rumour - Ashton's last for us, etc ?

I hope not :D but he always seems a bit of an outsider, definitely wouldn't be making shapes in that notorious club, 'Faces' :o When he scored that cracker against Man U I thought I detected a murmer of approval from the prawnies as if to say yes! we could do with some of that next season! I don't know when his contract is up but I hope he hangs around for awhile. It's going to be interesting to see who stays and goes.if the rumours about trimming the squad are true. Good article on Westhamonline about this. As for Rednose i occasionally wonder what would have happened to them if he had been given the boot back in the eighties.

Ashton is by far our main Man..If he leaves over the Summer i will be very, very dissapointed..

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jN...4fEJsCQJ19wH2lg

Ashton plea for West Ham talks

11 hours ago

Dean Ashton hopes to stay at West Ham but has revealed he is growing concerned over his future due to the lack of dialogue from the club.

Manchester United are rumoured to be ready to test the Hammers' resolve to keep Ashton by tabling an £8million bid for the England prospect this summer.

"As far as I know I'll be at West Ham. The only worry is that the club haven't spoken to me yet so I don't know where I stand," he said. "Obviously I'd like to speak to the club about my future. I'd just like to know where my future lies."

He added: "Obviously I had to prove myself after spending so long out injured and I feel I've done that now.

"West Ham is the team I play for. I want to talk to the club because I've really enjoyed myself here and that's all I'm really thinking about."

Portsmouth and Newcastle are also reported to be interested in the 24-year-old, who returned this season after a year out spent recovering from a broken ankle.

Hammers boss Alan Curbishley is meeting with the board on Monday to review the season and discuss plans for the transfer window.

Ashton is by far our main Man..If he leaves over the Summer i will be very, very dissapointed..

11 hours ago

Dean Ashton hopes to stay at West Ham but has revealed he is growing concerned over his future due to the lack of dialogue from the club.

Manchester United are rumoured to be ready to test the Hammers' resolve to keep Ashton by tabling an £8million bid for the England prospect this summer.

"As far as I know I'll be at West Ham. The only worry is that the club haven't spoken to me yet so I don't know where I stand," he said. "Obviously I'd like to speak to the club about my future. I'd just like to know where my future lies."

He added: "Obviously I had to prove myself after spending so long out injured and I feel I've done that now.

"West Ham is the team I play for. I want to talk to the club because I've really enjoyed myself here and that's all I'm really thinking about."

Portsmouth and Newcastle are also reported to be interested in the 24-year-old, who returned this season after a year out spent recovering from a broken ankle.

Hammers boss Alan Curbishley is meeting with the board on Monday to review the season and discuss plans for the transfer window.

I just have the feeling that he'll be off, especially if it's true that Man u want him. Newcastle, possibly. But can't see that would really benefit him, even though there's something of the Shearer about him.

Stil we can always try and get Crouch as a replacement, a snip at 15ml. :o

11 hours ago

I just have the feeling that he'll be off, especially if it's true that Man u want him. Newcastle, possibly. But can't see that would really benefit him, even though there's something of the Shearer about him.

It sounds like the usual thing. His agent is trying to squeeze more money out of the club but I think it could also be homesick northerner syndrome. Something that David Cross became afflicted with back in the day. :D

It sounds like the usual thing. His agent is trying to squeeze more money out of the club but I think it could also be homesick northerner syndrome. Something that David Cross became afflicted with back in the day. :o

But Ashton's from Swindon... :D

Look like we're aware he's the main Man & thank <deleted> we do..

From the Official Site an hour ago..

http://www.whufc.com/page/News/0,,12562~1311626,00.html

West Ham United are due to meet with Dean Ashton on Friday 16 May to discuss terms for a new long-term contract at the club.

With the 2007/08 season only just concluded last Sunday, the focus at the Boleyn Ground has already switched to looking ahead to the next campaign and Ashton is an integral part of Alan Curbishley's plans. The 24-year-old striker, who finished the season with eleven goals including five in his last eight matches, has two years left on his contract and the aim is to secure Ashton's services in line with the club's vision for the future which also includes the return of key players like Kieron Dyer and Craig Bellamy.

West Ham United Chief Executive Scott Duxbury said: "The end of the season was the appropriate time to discuss such matters and to meet Dean Ashton and his representatives. We will sit down on Friday with a view to agreeing a new long-term contract to keep Dean Ashton at Upton Park. Everyone at West Ham United is committed to taking the club forward and we will keep all supporters up to date with developments via the official website as and when we have them to report."

11 hours ago

It sounds like the usual thing. His agent is trying to squeeze more money out of the club but I think it could also be homesick northerner syndrome. Something that David Cross became afflicted with back in the day. :D

Could be, but to be honest there's something about Deano that's never quite been West Ham. Can't put my finger on it, subjective I know, and most of all I hope that I'm wrong. Gotta a funny feeling about him and the Barcodes now as well.

Blimey, I'm getting more anxieties than Joey Beauchamp's missus did about crossing the road in London. :D

But Ashton's from Swindon... :D

Look like we're aware he's the main Man & thank <deleted> we do..

From the Official Site an hour ago..

http://www.whufc.com/page/News/0,,12562~1311626,00.html

West Ham United are due to meet with Dean Ashton on Friday 16 May to discuss terms for a new long-term contract at the club.

With the 2007/08 season only just concluded last Sunday, the focus at the Boleyn Ground has already switched to looking ahead to the next campaign and Ashton is an integral part of Alan Curbishley's plans. The 24-year-old striker, who finished the season with eleven goals including five in his last eight matches, has two years left on his contract and the aim is to secure Ashton's services in line with the club's vision for the future which also includes the return of key players like Kieron Dyer and Craig Bellamy.

West Ham United Chief Executive Scott Duxbury said: "The end of the season was the appropriate time to discuss such matters and to meet Dean Ashton and his representatives. We will sit down on Friday with a view to agreeing a new long-term contract to keep Dean Ashton at Upton Park. Everyone at West Ham United is committed to taking the club forward and we will keep all supporters up to date with developments via the official website as and when we have them to report."

He may have been born in Swindon but he is a northerner by upbringing growing up in Crewe and coming through Dario Gradi's academy as a kid :o . If he stays it would probably be the end for either Cole or Zamora but I'm not sure who should go. It's a toss up basically but one of them will probably be sold on to one of the newly promoted clubs or a struggling club like Bolton or Fulham. Talking of struggling clubs. I've heard the Totts will be looking for a striker soon :D

He may have been born in Swindon but he is a northerner by upbringing growing up in Crewe and coming through Dario Gradi's academy as a kid :o . If he stays it would probably be the end for either Cole or Zamora but I'm not sure who should go. It's a toss up basically but one of them will probably be sold on to one of the newly promoted clubs or a struggling club like Bolton or Fulham. Talking of struggling clubs. I've heard the Totts will be looking for a striker soon :D

Well he's got what i class as a Southern Accent so that'll do for me.. :D

Outing Zamora or Cole has no comparison at all in my eyes to what getting rid of Ashton would mean, for me he's the future England Number 9 if he steras clear of Injury, i think he's THAT good & i really, really hope we won't sell him.

Well he's got what i class as a Southern Accent so that'll do for me.. :D

Outing Zamora or Cole has no comparison at all in my eyes to what getting rid of Ashton would mean, for me he's the future England Number 9 if he steras clear of Injury, i think he's THAT good & i really, really hope we won't sell him.

The fact is they are going to trim the squad from five strikers to four (I'm not including Kamara(spelling?) on loan and one of them has got to go, though if Dean Ashton walks we would have to deal with what we have already, though I agree a fit Ashton is the best we've got and we should try and hang onto him. We've yet to see a Bellamy Ashton partnership which would be terrific if they both stay fit but if the owner doesn't want to break whatever wage structure we have and increase his money then he goes. :D

Fingers crossed, from the Official Site today..

West Ham United are due to meet again with Dean Ashton's representatives after positive talks last Friday about securing the striker's long-term future at the Boleyn Ground.

The 24-year-old is a firm part of Alan Curbishley's plans for next season and the 16 May talks were aimed at extending the terms of his existing deal, which still has two years left to run. A second meeting will be held the week after next following the opening discussions. West Ham United Chief Executive Scott Duxbury said: "We had a very productive meeting. Dean wants to stay and we want him to stay. We are committed to finding agreement on a new long-term contract."

West Ham United are due to meet again with Dean Ashton's representatives after positive talks last Friday about securing the striker's long-term future at the Boleyn Ground.

Still smarting after the Benayoun turn-around to raise any hopes, until I see him at least putting in an appearance in the pre-season friendlies, tbh.

Edited by Happy Hammer

• 2 weeks later...
West Ham represents everything that is good about the English game ,nuturing youngsters until they reach their potential. It is unfortunate that those players don't stay with the club and that gets back to the evil of too much money among too few clubs, The playing surface is far from even.

Thanks mate. But I don't think that we'll ever be in the position to sell like we were forced to when we went down last time.

Yes, it's true that if the likes of Man u come in for Ashton then it'd be hard to keep him if he wants to go. Likewise with West Ham fan, Mark Noble. As much as he's a Hammer in his blood, is he really going to turn down an offer to play for Arsenal let's say ?

But we've still got some fine youngsters coming through and as you say it's the likes of Chelsea that are an anathema to the traditions of the game, and all it means beyond money and glory-hunting.

I don't think , with all due respects ,to Dean Ashtons ability, that Man U would be looking at him, more likely a Berbatov, or someone of his ilk, is on their shopping list. With their coffers overflowing after winning the double the owners will ,within reason, give Ferguson a free hand. Manuche,sorry about the spelling is a young striker already signed but waiting for a work permit .He starred at the African nations Cup. Saha will go so they do need another striker.I would not be surprised to see Ashton with a better contract and happy to stay a Hammer.

West Ham represents everything that is good about the English game ,nuturing youngsters until they reach their potential. It is unfortunate that those players don't stay with the club and that gets back to the evil of too much money among too few clubs, The playing surface is far from even.

Thanks mate. But I don't think that we'll ever be in the position to sell like we were forced to when we went down last time.

Yes, it's true that if the likes of Man u come in for Ashton then it'd be hard to keep him if he wants to go. Likewise with West Ham fan, Mark Noble. As much as he's a Hammer in his blood, is he really going to turn down an offer to play for Arsenal let's say ?

But we've still got some fine youngsters coming through and as you say it's the likes of Chelsea that are an anathema to the traditions of the game, and all it means beyond money and glory-hunting.

I don't think , with all due respects ,to Dean Ashtons ability, that Man U would be looking at him, more likely a Berbatov, or someone of his ilk, is on their shopping list. With their coffers overflowing after winning the double the owners will ,within reason, give Ferguson a free hand. Manuche,sorry about the spelling is a young striker already signed but waiting for a work permit .He starred at the African nations Cup. Saha will go so they do need another striker.I would not be surprised to see Ashton with a better contract and happy to stay a Hammer.

I hope you're right.

I hope that you're right too and that we don't take Saha in some sort of exchange deal. Its not as if we exactly need another injury prone player.

You can have Balsa Boy :o , but I don't reckon United are interested in Ashton, although the "interest" came at a good time, for hiscontract negotiations.

In fairness to Saha, when he is fit he is an excellent all round striker, but the big problem is that he spends as much time on the treatment table as girl from Lolita's spends on her knees.

Ashton, although the "interest" came at a good time, for hiscontract negotiations.

:o

I do hope that you're not suggesting that his agent would be so mercenary as to manufacture the whole story so as to push Ashton's wages up. I mean those chaps have a hard enough time carrying their cut to the bank as it is. :D

But to be fair, although going to Man u on the face of it seems a remote possibility, I don't think that it'd come as much of a suprise amongst Hammers fans to see Ashton go. Especially as a lot of what's happening is strangely reminiscent of the whole Benayoun episode of the season before last.

Ashton, although the "interest" came at a good time, for hiscontract negotiations.

:D

I do hope that you're not suggesting that his agent would be so mercenary as to manufacture the whole story so as to push Ashton's wages up. I mean those chaps have a hard enough time carrying their cut to the bank as it is. :D

But to be fair, although going to Man u on the face of it seems a remote possibility, I don't think that it'd come as much of a suprise amongst Hammers fans to see Ashton go. Especially as a lot of what's happening is strangely reminiscent of the whole Benayoun episode of the season before last.

I think the Banayoun case was a bit different. He was 27 and he probably realised that it was now or never if he was going to play in the champions league. Dean Ashton's 3 and a half years younger and still developing. Another reason is that he could easily become Man U's Peter Crouch not get the games and feel frustrated. There's also the doubt about being injury prone from their point of view. However I wouldn't be surprised if Keegan came in and made a bid but I think he'll stay for now. However contracts don't mean much and if we aren't progressing this time next year I think he'll go. :o

I think the Banayoun case was a bit different. He was 27 and he probably realised that it was now or never if he was going to play in the champions league.

There's an awful lot of this and that around concerning why Benayoun went. Undisputable fact is though that he renegaded on his new contract. Not good.

Dean Ashton's 3 and a half years younger and still developing. Another reason is that he could easily become Man U's Peter Crouch not get the games and feel frustrated.

To be fair, anyone who joins Man u and isn't aware of Ferguson's rotation policy is too thick to sign any contract anyway. Possibly why Paolo never signed ? Couldn't have imagined him being happy as a bench-warmer.

If he stays and reaches anywhere his full potential next season then the vultures come in for sure. Even more so if this 6-5 rule ever becomes a reality.

However I wouldn't be surprised if Keegan came in and made a bid but I think he'll stay for now.

Newcastle = perennial underachievers. So not much difference between us and them really. Someone should tell Ashton if he considers joining the Barcodes. :o

I think the Banayoun case was a bit different. He was 27 and he probably realised that it was now or never if he was going to play in the champions league.

There's an awful lot of this and that around concerning why Benayoun went. Undisputable fact is though that he renegaded on his new contract. Not good.

Dean Ashton's 3 and a half years younger and still developing. Another reason is that he could easily become Man U's Peter Crouch not get the games and feel frustrated.

To be fair, anyone who joins Man u and isn't aware of Ferguson's rotation policy is too thick to sign any contract anyway. Possibly why Paolo never signed ? Couldn't have imagined him being happy as a bench-warmer.

If he stays and reaches anywhere his full potential next season then the vultures come in for sure. Even more so if this 6-5 rule ever becomes a reality.

However I wouldn't be surprised if Keegan came in and made a bid but I think he'll stay for now.

Newcastle = perennial underachievers. So not much difference between us and them really. Someone should tell Ashton if he considers joining the Barcodes. :D

Yes, Yossi Benayoun did renege on his deal and we even offered him more money but Rick Parry struck again :o We should have held out for more money from them but easy come easy go, I suppose. We certainly missed his creativity last season. As for Paulo was it case for us holding out for more money and then he got injured? There was also an urban myth that during contract talks with us the directors put up a portrait of the primma donna in the boardroom to make him feel competely wanted :D As for the 6-5 unfortunately I can't see it getting off the ground though maybe there should be some inducement- UEFA cup places or money -for clubs who produce a majority of home grown players. As for Newcastle they make us look like a successful club, at least our last trophy was in 1980! :D

As for Paulo was it case for us holding out for more money and then he got injured?

I think you're right.

There was also an urban myth that during contract talks with us the directors put up a portrait of the primma donna in the boardroom to make him feel competely wanted :o

I must admit to not having heard that one. But if true, I trust that they went all the way in accommodating him with a portrait El Duce pose, complete with fascist salute. :D

As for Paulo was it case for us holding out for more money and then he got injured?

I think you're right.

There was also an urban myth that during contract talks with us the directors put up a portrait of the primma donna in the boardroom to make him feel competely wanted :D

I must admit to not having heard that one. But if true, I trust that they went all the way in accommodating him with a portrait El Duce pose, complete with fascist salute. :D

El Duce eh :D He's now called Silvio Berlusconi though I can see Paulo being involved in politics in Rome though he wouldn't perform so well in the provinces, much the same as his football career with us. :o As for Terence Brown, he is capable of using any bit of Machiavellian scheming to gain an advantage. He's also started legal action against the club as you probably know, another twist in the saga. :D

It seems that Lanzafaem Fella hwo we've been linked with from Juve has Palermo for a year after in all in that very confusion Players plus Cash plus a Loan with one of the Palermo Strikers going to Juve..

This is very worrying, with Ashton signing a new 5 year deal - it's beginning to take on Benayounistic proportions of deja vu. :o

Joking apart, I do find it a bit coincidental that he should sign just after a very average performance in an England shirt.

Still a whole season of a fully fit trio of Deano, Bellamy and Dyer would be nice.

This is very worrying, with Ashton signing a new 5 year deal - it's beginning to take on Benayounistic proportions of deja vu. :D

Joking apart, I do find it a bit coincidental that he should sign just after a very average performance in an England shirt.

Still a whole season of a fully fit trio of Deano, Bellamy and Dyer would be nice.

I'd forgotten about Dyer :o , is he due to come back at the beginning of the season? I know Bellamy is fit and playing and it's going to be interesting if they pair up but where does that leave Bobby Zam and Carlton Cole? Will Sears get a look in again? I'd like to see Freddie Sears go on loan to Hull or West Brom for half a season rather than hanging around the reserves if Zam or Cole stay. The other thing we need is somebody to push Noble and Parker for a central midfield place. We also need a back up keeper but the squad looks alright overall. However that's what I thought before the 2002-03 season :D

This is very worrying, with Ashton signing a new 5 year deal - it's beginning to take on Benayounistic proportions of deja vu. :D

I'd forgotten about Dyer :o , is he due to come back at the beginning of the season? I know Bellamy is fit and playing and it's going to be interesting if they pair up but where does that leave Bobby Zam and Carlton Cole? Will Sears get a look in again? I'd like to see Freddie Sears go on loan to Hull or West Brom for half a season rather than hanging around the reserves if Zam or Cole stay. The other thing we need is somebody to push Noble and Parker for a central midfield place. We also need a back up keeper but the squad looks alright overall. However that's what I thought before the 2002-03 season :D

I wonder about the youngsters coming through. Possibly loans in the Fizzy Pop might be a good idea. As for Cole and Zam -- good bench and back-up players both. I can see Cole starting a few games as well.

I was wondering yesterday whether we've made any approaches on the Shorey front ? I still think that at £5 mil or under he'd be worth a punt as a back-up for our HOTY.

Still lots to happen yet. Like offloading the likes LBM and Bowyer.

I wonder about the youngsters coming through. Possibly loans in the Fizzy Pop might be a good idea. As for Cole and Zam -- good bench and back-up players both. I can see Cole starting a few games as well.

I was wondering yesterday whether we've made any approaches on the Shorey front ? I still think that at £5 mil or under he'd be worth a punt as a back-up for our HOTY.

Still lots to happen yet. Like offloading the likes LBM and Bowyer.

Interesting to see if Tomkins stays in the first team squad, he probably will because Spector is going to be out for a while. I think Freddie Sears should go on loan for a bit but not in the fizzy. As for Shorey he has had a quiet season according to the resident Readingite but there is also Sidwell who has been left out in the cold, though getting his Winston Bogarde wages at Chelsea but I've never seen him more than a couple of times. Got a feelng he might end up at Fulham or even QPR. Like to see our Icelandic connection work with Gudjonson (spelling?) he would add that factor X, a bit of the unexpected to our attack. I think we might hang on to LBM if he can stand up to some sections of the crowd, he was starting to improve but Bowyer he's on his way back to Charlton or a Palace. Johnny Paintsill has to be kept on for the 'John Moncur' role of keeping the crowd amused :D

Interesting to see if Tomkins stays in the first team squad, he probably will because Spector is going to be out for a while. I think Freddie Sears should go on loan for a bit but not in the fizzy. As for Shorey he has had a quiet season according to the resident Readingite but there is also Sidwell who has been left out in the cold, though getting his Winston Bogarde wages at Chelsea but I've never seen him more than a couple of times. Got a feelng he might end up at Fulham or even QPR. Like to see our Icelandic connection work with Gudjonson (spelling?) he would add that factor X, a bit of the unexpected to our attack. I think we might hang on to LBM if he can stand up to some sections of the crowd, he was starting to improve but Bowyer he's on his way back to Charlton or a Palace. Johnny Paintsill has to be kept on for the 'John Moncur' role of keeping the crowd amused :o

That's the thing with football cult heroes -- they're always crap. Except for Moncur, who was a liability as well. :D

Looks like Gudjohnsen may well be joining us, if the below is to be believed.

"Newcastle United might as well forget trying to sign Eidur Gudjohnsen from Barcelona after the Icelandic star made it clear where his prefered destination would be.Told he has no future at the Spanish giants, the former Chelsea and Bolton Wanderers forward has been linked with a move to Newcastle United.

However, West Ham appear to be in the driving seat to secure the player's signature after he told Catalunya Radio where he would rather play next season.

Upton Park is the striker's choice ahead of St James's Park.

Speaking to the radio station, Gudjohnsen said if he was to leave Barcelona and went to the Premier League, then it would be to West Ham and not Newcastle.

His main reasons were because of his close friends, who live in London and his relationship with West Ham's Icelandic owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson, who has spoken to the player about his ambitions for West Ham and how he would love for him to be a part of the Hammers future.

He said that Barcelona have 'given him permission' to leave and that his agents are soon to start talks with a Premier League club in regards to his future.

Hammers manager Alan Curbishley has tried to persuade Gudjohnsen to come to London's East End since last year.

If the player has a prefered destination other than Newcastle then the Magpies will rightly dismiss any interest in the player."

Im off the opinion that the big teams ie Barcas/ Man U/ Real/ Juve etc... only get rid of these players as theyre not up to the job anymore and often never will be again, theyve made their money are reaching 30s when training gets that little bit harder and dont have the heart or speed for giving it 100% anymore.

Theres no doubt he can still do a job but only well enough for mid table obscurity.

Robbie Fowler is the epitomy of this new breed.

Gudjohnsens no great coup IMO but you never know.