Police discover large stash of fake brand name stuff at Platinum

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, advertising and CEO salaries. It doesn't get away from the fact that the profit margin on some items of clothing is bordering on obscene, which is why I have no hesitation in buying copies of those brands.

And secretaries, mail room employees, sales reps, customer support staff, buildings, electricity, health care costs, taxes, etc, etc, etc....

Agree with the CEO salaries.  Obscene in many cases.  But not true for a majority of the other employees.  Who are mostly just middle class people trying to make a living and who have ZERO impact on the operations overseas.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That company  doesn't win any awards for the treatment of their workers either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Direct

I'd bet the copies you buy are made from factories that have the same standards, or worse, than the ones used by the multi-nationals.  Right?  Guaranteed they're not paying their workers more! LOL

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

And secretaries, mail room employees, sales reps, customer support staff, buildings, electricity, health care costs, taxes, etc, etc, etc....

Agree with the CEO salaries.  Obscene in many cases.  But not true for a majority of the other employees.  Who are mostly just middle class people trying to make a living and who have ZERO impact on the operations overseas.

CEO's salaries are obscene, as are profit margins. Of course I realise that there are more costs than just salaries and advertising, I was being flippant.

Edited by giddyup

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I'd bet the copies you buy are made from factories that have the same standards, or worse, than the ones used by the multi-nationals.  Right?  Guaranteed they're not paying their workers more! LOL

I wasn't comparing them to anyone else, I just said (and Wikipedia) they didn't have a good record as far as treatment of workers. Do they have outlets in Thailand? If not I'll stick with the copies.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

CEO's salaries are obscene, as are profit margins. Of course I realise that their are more costs than just salaries and advertising, I was being flippant.

Here's how your knockoff T-shirts are made:

https://insideretail.asia/2014/12/28/thai-sweatshops-exploit-myanmar-workers/

“In fact, none of the garment factory workers interviewed for this report knew which brands they were producing garments for.”

Knockoff or the real thing, they are probably made in the same or similar factories.  Don't fool yourself.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Here's how your knockoff T-shirts are made:

https://insideretail.asia/2014/12/28/thai-sweatshops-exploit-myanmar-workers/

Knockoff or the real thing, they are probably made in the same or similar factories.  Don't fool yourself.

That's why I said that generally the quality was on a par.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

All I know is... I buy my clothes in England these days.. Cheaper or similar prices for far longer lasting higher quality gear. 

Jeans I still buy here.. If I can find them with legs long enough.. 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Station to be questioned about the shop’s owner and where the goods had come from.

Well its obvious they have the goods on you. If you cough a bit and bring up some baht phlegm I sure it will be all a big misunderstanding. 

19 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

"...unbelievable reveal....shocking..."

Coconuts confirms its great sense of humor  

Fifteen years ago, when I first shopped at Pratunam, it was common knowledge;  except, apparently, to the police?    :shock1:

I expect the next big "shocking reveal" will be a tip-off to the police about the knock-off Microsoft software at Panthip Plaza.  Another public secret.  

Don't worry, all the computers that the Thai police (military, schools and basically the rest of Thailand use run on knock-off Windows XP/7 so they will probably not do much about that!

23 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

"...unbelievable reveal....shocking..."

Coconuts confirms its great sense of humor  

Fifteen years ago, when I first shopped at Pratunam, it was common knowledge;  except, apparently, to the police?    :shock1:

I expect the next big "shocking reveal" will be a tip-off to the police about the knock-off Microsoft software at Panthip Plaza.  Another public secret.  

I've seen policeraids at the phuntip plaza but they couldn't find any....it was all covered by tablecloths and they're not allowed to look under them. Same thing in chinatown when they see the police coming...they have blankets ready to cover their stands.

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Most multi national companies hire locals to manage their operations.  These locals hire the laborers and pay them little.  It's a problem, but not one that's 100% the fault of the multi-national.  It's also the fault of greedy locals abusing their population.  And I'm sure you are happy your items don't cost 3-4 times more due to their cheap operations.  Fault lies all around.

I've had many copies that have fallen apart.  T-shirts are easy.  Higher end stuff isn't as easy to copy.  Sadly, when in countries like China, copies are many times the only thing you can find.  My North Face jacket that I had to buy due to a cold spell there fell apart in a just a few months.  Terrible quality.

The real problem is when you buy a copy the north face jacket and go climbing the kilimanjaro with it...on the top you don't want it to fall apart or the zipper jamming.

Even in the big malls on their big sales from the departmentstores i 've bought Nike and Adidas sneakers who fell apart after 2 weeks. Lately i bought shorts in the nike factory store at impact muang thong and after 6 weeks the color disappears...unfortunately i bought 5 pairs of them who are very ugly now.

Even the real shops sell fake quality in thailand...also real brands do it, even japanese ones.