New phone ... talk about the best Android apps to load

Jingthing

I'd recommend:

DropBox to share/store documents/photos between your computer and phone

- a good Thai-English dictionary.  I have both EN-TH Dictionary and TH-EN Dictionary , and Google's infamous Translate

- HERE maps with Thailand map loaded [can use offline without Internet]

- LINE for messaging with all your girlfriends, girlfriend.

- WiFi Analyzer for finding hotspot signals and their strength

...then, of course, there are the boy-finder apps    :neus:

I would recommend IFTTT, which stands for.. If this then that. You managed to rack up more than 70000 posts, which must be very time consuming. This app helps you to speed it up and make it automatic, by presetting events, that trigger the creation of a new post. 

For example, you could set: if I wake up in the morning, create a new topic. It doesn't have to be meaningful, who cares. 

Or, if I go to the toilet, respond to a few recent topics in alphabetical order. 

Or, if I have an argument with my wife, send random messages to TV members. 

Apps like Facebook consume a lot of power running in the background all the time so if that is a problem for you better open FB in a browser.

What apps to get depends all on the person, I have some technical ones because I am an engineer.

Weather forecasts are good to have but for unknown reasons not so accurate here in Thailand.

Goggle is your friend on what apps to get.

4 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I got a new zenfone as a new 'smartphone' user and the apps make me nervous...just gonna use the device for phone calls, SMS and the camera...maybe the odd email on google and outlook...

nokia announced that they're going back to producing basic handsets...

'cos Nokia failed on smartphone market too 

4 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Apps like Facebook consume a lot of power running in the background all the time so if that is a problem for you better open FB in a browser.

What apps to get depends all on the person, I have some technical ones because I am an engineer.

Weather forecasts are good to have but for unknown reasons not so accurate here in Thailand.

Goggle is your friend on what apps to get.

Of course, obviously, choice of apps is dependent on personal interests. Still, I didn't think it hurts to ask for more general interest apps that people love using. Like I said, it's been a really long time before I could even be considering any new apps that weren't absolutely MUST HAVES. 

9 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I got a new zenfone as a new 'smartphone' user and the apps make me nervous...just gonna use the device for phone calls, SMS and the camera...maybe the odd email on google and outlook...

You're a funny old dude ... lovable Luddite. Keep on truckin' 

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

I'd recommend:

DropBox to share/store documents/photos between your computer and phone

- a good Thai-English dictionary.  I have both EN-TH Dictionary and TH-EN Dictionary , and Google's infamous Translate

- HERE maps with Thailand map loaded [can use offline without Internet]

- LINE for messaging with all your girlfriends, girlfriend.

- WiFi Analyzer for finding hotspot signals and their strength

...then, of course, there are the boy-finder apps    :neus:

I tried LINE before. It drove me crazy! 

Use Kindle a lot, bubble level, conversions, cooking, currency, Sygic gps, swiftkey, windfinder. galaxy charging,  Sygic has good maps, and not hard to use.  Swiftkey makes typing a lot easier, windfinder good for coastal weather, galaxy charging tells the rate at which your phone is being charged,  This is very useful as you will find a variety of charging rates from 300 - 1200, depending on source, wiring plug in's etc.

The TV dinosaurs will be estatic

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

On 08/12/2016 at 6:23 PM, RichCor said:

a good Thai-English dictionary.

its not a free app but for someone who is past the beginner level of Thai I would recommend the Paiboon Publishing Thai dictionary app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordinthehand.thaidict&hl=en

it does not require an internet connection to work (obviously after you have downloaded and installed it) because all the data is held locally on the phone.

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Agree this is a bit silly; like asking "where should I go on vacation?", or "what kind of food should I eat?"

FWIW, there is "get a life" app. :thumbsup:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gr.vanderbox.getalife.lite&hl=en

It was started sincerely. If people find the topic silly, that's their filter.

Ad Blocker.

I use that for almost all my internet viewing and it save battery life and time by blocking those annoying ads from so many news sites and others like bbc, breitbart and others.

LINE I find an essential now.Free phone calls back to the UK, quick messages on meeting up with friends, sending photo'd copies of documents and stuff, even though I see it drove JT crazy.

fotmob a great scores and results app for football. quick too.

I find "XE" currency converter useful: very easy to use.  For up to date news; "Google News"

If your phone did not have a note taking app pre-installed, "Color Note" is very useful for making quick notes, reminders and shopping lists.

All free on "Play Store"

I use Pocket a lot.  You install the Android app and setup a login.  Then install the browser add-in on your PC and login.  When you see an online article in your browser that you think you might want to read later you do one click on the browser icon.  Thereafter, you can read it whenever you want on your phone.

Mighty Grocery is a useful shopping list app.  Zazaremote when used with a bluetooth to go Infra-red device available from aliexpress enables the phone to control devices like air-conditioners, tvs, etc. Llama enables automatic settings for the phone depending on time-of-day, location, running app, wifi, etc.  I use it to detect (via cellphone tower and wifi) when I am at home so that it enables wifi and disables locking.  Turns off sound at night except for incoming calls from designated numbers.  Etc. Timely is a good alarm clock and timer.

Edited by CaptHaddock

Yeah I had heard about something like Pocket before. Maybe there are others like that. Anyway, that does sound very useful to me. Will definitely try it.

BTW -- I installed 1weather and really like it a lot mostly for the way I can easily see the chance of rain hourly. You know, whether to carry an umbrella or not! Can't judge yet on how accurate it is, but so far, good.

I'm using Battery Doctor regularly. It seems to really be helping to extend battery life. As I'm installing more apps now, got to keep things in check.