Greg Lake: King Crimson and ELP star dies aged 69

webfact

Greg Lake: King Crimson and ELP star dies aged 69

Greg Lake, who fronted both King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died aged 69.

One of the founding fathers of progressive rock, the British musician is known for songs including In the Court of the Crimson King and his solo hit I Believe in Father Christmas.

He died on Wednesday after "a long and stubborn battle with cancer", said his manager.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-12-09

17 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

No, ELP!

A great musician and both great bands, RIP.

I just did a Google search on both this king crimson and the other and still hadn't heard of the bands.  A bit before my time but I'm sure they were reasonable bands in the day.

Just now, Thechook said:

I just did a Google search on both this king crimson and the other and still hadn't heard of the bands.  A bit before my time but I'm sure they were reasonable bands in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-PAKOt7sM

I suggest you listen to the first album by King Crimson, In the Court of the Crimson King. It's an album of amazing contrasts.

RIP Greg.

Even if Emerson Lake & Palmer was before your time, chances are you recognise Fanfare For The Common Man, which has become the borrowed anthem for many sporting events.   The following VDO was taken at the Montreal Olympic Stadium in 1977.

Interesting that Keith Emerson passed away in March this year.   The remaining surviving member of the band, Carl Palmer, will have a nervous wait for 2016 to end.

Edited by Radar501

15 minutes ago, Thechook said:

They were more than just reasonable, they were among the leaders who changed the face of music in the UK during the 1970's, as said, the court of the crimson king was revolutionary almost in the way that people understood and listened to new music at the time.

2 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

Even if Emerson Lake & Palmer was before your time, chances are you recognise Fanfare For The Common Man, which has become the borrowed anthem for many sporting events.   The following VDO was taken at the Montreal Olympic Stadium in 1977.

Interesting that Keith Emerson passed away in March this year.   The remaining surviving member of the band, Carl Palmer, will have a nervous wait for 2016 to end.

Fanfare for the Common Many was written by Aaron Copeland in 1942, the ELP version was very good but they didn't write it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanfare_for_the_Common_Man

1 hour ago, Radar501 said:

Brilliant, I've been following them since I was a kid.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Great music doesn't date. I wonder how much of the fodder served up as music today will be remembered in 40 years?

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Incredible shows, California Jam

RIP Greg Lake, one of rock's most influential bass players.  Although most people know him because of his work with King Crimson and ELP, my favorite work of his was teaming up with Gary Moore on his first solo album, where he actually played guitar instead of bass.  The song below was co-written with Bob Dylan.

Edited by zaphod reborn

ELP, Yes, Supertramp, ELO, Pink Floyd- My Fav bands in the 70's.  Loved their shows in Los Angeles (The Wall concert in LA has to be the best I have ever seen).  Was a DJ on cable radio at California Lutheran College in the 70's.  Later on was standing in line for the 10th anniversary showing of the Rock Horror Picture Show in LA somewhere and had some guy dressed in a dinosaur suit hand me a flyer for some new band he had called the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo.  That guy in the suit was Danny Elfman.  I wish I had kept the flyer.  Man I miss that music!

Just now, Beats56 said:

I remember my brother who went to Detroit Cobo and saw ELP. he said they had a revolving piano  in the air. I thought at the time....cool

RIP 

I didn't see ELP at Cobo but I saw a lot of other great acts there, a brilliant venue.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I didn't see ELP at Cobo but I saw a lot of other great acts there, a brilliant venue.

Ya I went there Alot only 60 miles from Ontario. my best was pink Floyd doing Dark Side of Moon I think 73. and of course Zep. Still have the ticket stubs...I think 12$ at the time. my how times have changed.

Losing  all the musicians, actors  and actresses, and other people

let us all know that  we are getting older.  Losing people like

Prince, and younger aged ones to drugs,  also shows us  that  the

world  is crazier.  Thank goodness we still have the Beeb, and

Brian Adams,  Adele, Madonna , and even the old guys and gals,

that are still around  and touring  entertaining us and the

old set of Actors, and actresses still acting.

Geezer