Bangkok taxi driver goes online in five minute "Uber" rant

webfact

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long do you figure that's going to last?  Eventually, the Uber experience will be eroded until it's no better than the legal taxis.  It's just going to take some time for the hucksters to jump in and learn to game the system.   (Edit: and for even the new cars to get thrashed)

I've been using Uber in Bangkok now for a few years (2 maybe, since they started) and the cars and service are as good now as ever. They changed my life.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

All very well talking about competition, but that is not what Uber is about. They will drive normal taxi services out and then hike prices up. They can afford to be fairly cheap and reasonable now because they have a lot of venture capital money propping them up. But, the venture guys will want that money back, and more - and it will be coming from your pocket. 

There are documented cases, Google is your friend, of Uber services in cities jacking prices up when they start to get a monopoly and at times when they knew a lot of people were wanting taxis. 

Uber are also notorious for ripping off their drivers, so do you think your happy drivers will stay that way when they are getting screwed over? 

Thai taxis need sorting out, but it ain't going to come through allowing Uber to take over. 

Where exactly are these places? I travel continuously on business all over the world and use Uber everywhere. The service is excellent and competitively priced in every city I've used it - Asia, Europe, Australasia and the Americas.

And the only people I've found to be unhappy with it are non-users, certainly not the drivers I talk to.

Uber is already more expensive than a normal taxi... your paying for a better service... so logically, you pay more.

admittedly, I haven't used it in Thailand, just Oz... were its 20% more.... and they have uber premium, or some such, as well... and yes... that is even more expensive

if you want to use a smelly puked in run down dodgy taxi... logically, they should be cheaper.

its all a matter of choice.... uber is your business class taxi.

40 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

I've been using Uber in Bangkok now for a few years (2 maybe, since they started) and the cars and service are as good now as ever. They changed my life.

2 years in and still burning investor money is way too early to call.  Let's see if they have to make any stupid moves like lowering standards before they turn in their first year of profitability.  Oh, and become legal in the country, too.  My understanding is that hasn't happened, either.  

Losing money and illegal.  What could possibly go wrong?

2 years in and still burning investor money is way too early to call.  Let's see if they have to make any stupid moves like lowering standards before they turn in their first year of profitability.  Oh, and become legal in the country, too.  My understanding is that hasn't happened, either.  

Losing money and illegal.  What could possibly go wrong?

I saw a doco a few years back about Hanson cab drivers burning motorised taxis when they first arrived. I guess it goes around.

Like it or not, and it's clear you don't, this sort of ride sharing system is not going to go away and it's clear it is tolerated. That's your right if course and there is no obligation to use them. The upset cab driver could always join Grab Taxi, if he's of the proper standard. They're good too and use regular cabs.

I was of the understanding that not using a meter in a registered taxi was illegal too, but you seem fine with that, and the hit and miss safety they offer. I've never been driven by a wasted maniac in an Uber. Sadly I can't say the same about normal cabs.

Uber is already more expensive than a normal taxi... your paying for a better service... so logically, you pay more.

admittedly, I haven't used it in Thailand, just Oz... were its 20% more.... and they have uber premium, or some such, as well... and yes... that is even more expensive

if you want to use a smelly puked in run down dodgy taxi... logically, they should be cheaper.

its all a matter of choice.... uber is your business class taxi.

In most countries the normal UberX or equivalent is cheaper. The Black or equivalent is more.

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Can't disagree with you there.  But is the answer a reform of the taxi enforcement and the fee structure, or is it allowing illegal drivers to operate without getting registered, without paying taxes, and charging a higher rate that's not allowed to the legal drivers?

Some BKK taxi drivers have been trying to implement "Surge Pricing" for years.  We call it "going off the meter" and gripe and moan endlessly.  It's illegal.  Yet Uber drivers get to do it, and not a word of complaint?

You're missing the point, which is that the Bangkok taxi driver community has brought on the current situation, and have no one to thank, but themselves.

But, to YOUR point, we've SEEN how taxi enforcement and fee structure reforms work out.  The taxi enforcement lasts a few days and peters out.  One gets the impression after so many "crackdowns" that the process consists of making examples out of a few unlucky drivers and then the whole thing is forgotten until the next facebook flurry.  And the "fee structure" proposals are always simply to raise fees, prompting the public to ask, "why should I pay more for service that steadily deteriorates, i.e., pay more for less".   These approaches only encourage competition to take root in a "me first" culture.   Taxi drivers need to get their act together, start policing themselves (I know - the face thing; never gonna' happen), and asking "what can I do better?".  I don't see how you can legislate this.  If their attitudes don't change, then neither will the situation.  Competition  will get its foot in the door and that'll be that.  If Uber does indeed cost more than regular taxis, how are they able to do that?  Why are users willing to pay more for Uber?  Hmmm...  Just a shot in the dark, but assuming they are getting more than regular taxi drivers (and I don't know if that's generally true or not), might it have something to do with predictability and consistency?

10 hours ago, Snig27 said:

I saw a doco a few years back about Hanson cab drivers burning motorised taxis when they first arrived. I guess it goes around.

Like it or not, and it's clear you don't, this sort of ride sharing system is not going to go away and it's clear it is tolerated. That's your right if course and there is no obligation to use them. The upset cab driver could always join Grab Taxi, if he's of the proper standard. They're good too and use regular cabs.

I was of the understanding that not using a meter in a registered taxi was illegal too, but you seem fine with that, and the hit and miss safety they offer. I've never been driven by a wasted maniac in an Uber. Sadly I can't say the same about normal cabs.

I love the Uber business model.  I'd have absolutely no objections if they required their drivers to be legally registered as taxis and pay the fees for their licenses and other taxes the drivers may pay.  I don't even mind if the Uber drivers don't use meters or abide by the legal fare structure as long as the customer knows that up front.

What I object to is giving Uber drivers preferential legal treatment by not requiring them to pay the same fees required of legal taxis.  It's not fair to legal taxis trying to make a living, and the public needs to realize that the government has to make up those billions of baht in lost fees and taxes somewhere.  Which will mean tax increases, effectively subsidizing Uber at the expense of the Thai people and the legal taxi drivers.  No, I don't like that.

And I also wonder how many guys on here believe that the service may improve if they let the drivers make a decent living.  And let the guys with newer or bigger cars charge more than the guys with clapped out Corollas?  And maybe allowed them to charge a little more when the traffic and the demand is so God-awful in Bangkok.  Eezy peezy to build a meter that addresses all of those possibilities.  And they could also build a meter that sends the driver a bill (or debits his account)  any time he exceeds the speed limit, runs a red light, weaves across 3 lanes on the freeway, or takes the long way.  Or one that won't allow the car to start if he blows dirty after a few toddies.  Taking it a step further, they could build a meter that calculates how much the driver earned and send him a tax bill- or debit his account.  They should require no less of Uber, who records exactly what each driver's made.

On Friday, December 09, 2016 at 0:40 PM, Saastrajaa said:

In over 15 years in Thailand, I have had overwhelmingly good experiences with taxis.  NEVER has anyone tried to raise the fare at the end of the ride.  If they won't turn on the meter, I either won't get in, or, if I don't realize it until I've gotten in, I get right out (and DON'T say anything snarky or slam the door).

Do you tend to get into parked taxis?  That's a big mistake--worldwide, not just in Thailand.  Excepting official queues such as airports, train stations, Skytrain stops, etc., a general traveler's rule is to always flag a MOVING taxi, never get in a parked one.  I do this all the time, especially in touristy areas: walk right past a row of parked taxis, and flag down a moving one.

Finally, one more question, which you're probably not going to like, and which I think I already know the answer to: do you speak Thai?  I'm betting not.  I have several friends whose bad taxi experiences far outweigh their good ones, like you (and the polar opposite of me), and to a person, they happen to not speak Thai.  One friend, who admittedly is a bit of a hothead and a prick at times, has been punched several times by taxi drivers.  He speaks no Thai. 

Learn to speak Thai.  I'm betting your positive taxi experiences will multiply.  I'm not saying it will solve all taxi-related problems (I too get annoyed when they refuse to pick up passengers due to their destination, or are surly/less than courteous), but I think it will make a big difference.

Let me ask you one more question, to answer your extremely stupid one: If I am going on holiday to France, Italy, Spain or Nigeria...would I have to learn their language as well, to ask for good Taxi- service?

I use Uber and UberX everyday in Bangkok and have since they started. 

The odds of a bad experience are much much less using Uber than when using a taxi.  Uber has made  my life in  Bangkok easier. 

Out of curiosity I often talk to the drivers about their experience as an Uber driver and how much they make.  I can't remember any complaints about uber's compensation system. 

Whichever way you look at it, its progress and you cant turn back the clock. The way grab and uber works is really smart and low cost; how can the traditional taxi model survive?

I see taxi drivers in the west use multiple revenue streams; they work as a traditional taxi, tied to a taxi company, but also hook into uber and/or grab. So they can pickup work in multiple ways.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:33 AM, ratcatcher said:

There are a lot of people who would say that the few have spoiled it for the many. Do Uber drivers equip themselves with machetes or steel pipes, or god forbid, guns? 

the fact that I was almost punched for taking a photo of a cab drivers number after him refusing to take to the destination I wanted to go or the 5 cabs before him or the numerous cabs that had refused at some other times means that now I only take uber when I am in bkk, stop ranting and provide the service you are there for.

uber come everytime and you know the fare upfront and you don't have to argue to get the cabbie to turn on the metre.

7 hours ago, MaiChai said:

Whichever way you look at it, its progress and you cant turn back the clock. The way grab and uber works is really smart and low cost; how can the traditional taxi model survive?

I see taxi drivers in the west use multiple revenue streams; they work as a traditional taxi, tied to a taxi company, but also hook into uber and/or grab. So they can pickup work in multiple ways.

Perhaps you don't actually live in Bangkok or use taxis much, but very large numbers of Bangkok Taxis are on GrabTaxi.   That is the whole point Grab uses Taxis, Uber uses private cars.

So if you want to support licenced taxis use Grab.

Caveat - there are a significant number of shoddy cab drivers in Thailand. I get that. I am not ignoring the fact that there are cheats, bad drivers, bad mannered drivers, and any number of poor excuses of a cab driver to be found all over the country. I get that… That is not the point of his rant, or this post.

This driver does not represent officially or statistically, the other 150,000+ cabs in Bangkok. He is not responsible for them and you can’t assign blame for your bad experiences. You are only assuming that this driver would refuse you, or drive badly or whatever your pet peeve is.

To all of you who say “tough, become an Uber driver” you are clueless. Becoming an Uber driver takes money that this, and most standard cab drivers don’t have! Get it? You need a smart newish car to qualify…

To those who state that they use Uber for longer trips, and normal cabs (when possible) for short trips; you are the problem. It is not your fault, but you are the issue. Those longer rides are what every cab driver is looking for. That is why the taxi mafia have control of the airports’ taxi ranks, the unofficial ranks around Nana, Silom and other locations where drunk/clueless tourists are easy pickings… You are handing the top-end of the market to the Uber drivers. It is a small percentage of the total trips, but the value is disproportional. One or two of those trips makes the difference between turning a profit each day and not.

The Uber drivers mostly have day jobs. Uber is supplemental income. The service is better, the vehicles are better; it is an easy option for punters to take. The revenue Uber drivers take from normal taxis is gravy money for them and survival money for the cabbies. It is effectively impossible for a normal cabbie to compete. A new cab and Grab is their best and possibly only response…

The taxi system needs a complete overhaul. There are too many drivers, too few are qualified, too many disrespect the job, the social contract and rules that govern it. Uber will not fix that, they will take the top x percent of the market making the existing cab drivers push back. If you squeeze under-educated group who live on the breadline, they will not get educated or go find the money to play the new game - they will resist. 

My personal experience with cabs here has been pretty good. I rarely get refused, I never get offered to run without the meter, and I never get taken for a ride in terms of routing… However I haven’t lived downtown, or tried to get a cab anywhere tourists are plentiful since 2000, so perhaps the burbs are better for taxis… If they wind the window down, I don’t talk to them. I just get in, smile and tell them politely where and which way. Seems to work a treat…

• 2 weeks later...

For all the people saying taxi drivers should switch to Uber there are a few problems with that. 1. You need to own a car. 2. You must know how to use a map and a smart phone, for things more complicated than youtube. 

This guys business is going down hill because of the way he rants for example. The requirement to own your own car is a barrier and that isn't a bad thing. Not sure about Uber in Thailand but back home you go through a background check. If you are a violent felon it is a no go. Drunk driving conviction also makes it impossible to go to work for Uber.

Uber is something you do to help make your car payments, not something you run out and buy a car to do. The fact that Uber drivers are traced through the online tracking system makes it less likely anything shady will happen.

Funny to hear a cab driver rant who probably wouldn't know the best way from Lumpini park to Central Rama 9. 

Edited by anotheruser

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Old Fool said:

Is it legal for the Uber drivers to pick up at BKK?  If so, where do they stop at?

Uber is an on demand service.

You install their app on your phone and create an account with your credit card (for billing purposes).

When you want to go somewhere, you open the app and it uses your phones GPS to find your current location.  You type in the address where you want to go and it contacts Uber cars near you and tells them where you are and where you want to go.  When a driver accepts the trip you get to see where he is on the map and how long until he will arrive at your location.

He arrives and picks you up, takes you to your destination and you get charged through the app.

The service works very well.   Drivers usually speak English and cars are nice.

GrabTaxi works the same way, expect instead of nice private cars they are all regular taxis.

7 hours ago, Old Fool said:

Is it legal for the Uber drivers to pick up at BKK?  If so, where do they stop at?

What does "legal" really mean here? Some "authorities" are on record as saying UBER is not strictly legal per se, so YMMV.

My most recent experience was on level 2 (Arrivals), door #8, but the driver should communicate the exact details, or you can state your preference. I think level 2 is the current default level, and the best option is for one of the doors farther to the left (if standing inside looking out); so doors #6 - 10.

Personally, I totally agree with him - if someone else turned up on Monday to do my job for half my salary I'd be p****d too.

My bosses might feel differently mind you.

(I'm more concerned about the blurring of my genitals when I go for a whizz - I thought  I'd become accustomed to them after so long that they no longer shocked me, but the Thai government thinks otherwise...)

10 hours ago, seancbk said:

You install their app on your phone and create an account with your credit card (for billing purposes).

When you want to go somewhere, you open the app and it uses your phones GPS to find your current location.  You type in the address where you want to go and it contacts Uber cars near you and tells them where you are and where you want to go.  When a driver accepts the trip you get to see where he is on the map and how long until he will arrive at your location.

He arrives and picks you up, takes you to your destination and you get charged through the app.

GrabTaxi works the same way, expect instead of nice private cars they are all regular taxis.

And with Grab you can book taxis too.

5 hours ago, PiAnt said:

Personally, I totally agree with him - if someone else turned up on Monday to do my job for half my salary I'd be p****d too.

If you were earning twice what you are worth, I would have no sympathy for you either.

On 09/12/2016 at 10:36 AM, CelticBhoy said:

"I'm not drunk - I'm just saying".

A sober 5-minute rant!  Glad he's never driven me anywhere. My ears would have melted  . . . :smile:

Does Uber do criminal record checks on its drivers in Thailand, like they do in Australia for example? If not, then Uber drivers are just as likely to include bad guys as taxi drivers. 

15 hours ago, seancbk said:

Thanks, I know this.  I'm asking where they pick up at BKK because I know that airports don't allow them unless they pay.  So is there a spot for eride vehicles like USA has?