US top doctor warns of e-cigarette generation

rooster59

US top doctor warns of e-cigarette generation

606x341_351897.jpg

America’s top doctor is calling for action to curb the use of e-cigarettes among young people.

Surgeon general Vivek Murthy says they have overtaken cigarettes in six years and put a new generation at risk of getting addicted to nicotine.

“This represents a staggering development in a relatively short period of time. And it also threatens 50 years of hard fought progress that we have made curbing tobacco use,” he commented.

It is likely to anger those who argue e-cigarettes are considerably less dangerous.

The report recommends that e-cigarettes be incorporated into existing smoke-free policies, including preventing young people from accessing them, implementing price and tax policies that discourage use and encouraging federal regulation of e-cigarette marketing.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-10

As someone who used ecigs to quit smoking, I'd be interested to see what his report says about this. They were a godsend for me, and I presume many others. I hope this aspect of their value is not shunted aside. 

Perhaps rather than banning the devices, the US should just put a halt to the sale of liquid containing nicotine. As i withdrew from killer tobacco, I gradually reduced the nico amount in the liquid I was using until I reached nicotine-free status. then the device became a social affectation, which I soon quit altogether.

This is BS!

People dont start using nicotine with a ecig!

They switch from the much more harmful(but taxed by governments and regulated by tobacco lobbys!) to the more harmless.

This is just about money and nothing else....this is the biggest threat to the tobacco industries and tax taking governments ever!

Kids dont start with this shit ether,its just not cool! :-)

Edited by nikotin

Starting to take a substance that is addictive is definitely not a good plan. And there are some indications in some early studies that nicotine alone may increase your risk of cancer (before, it was cigarettes containing tobacco which have a wide variety of carcinogens).

But in the broad realm of addictions, addiction to nicotine is one of the lesser evils. It is not a gateway drug, it leads to very little crime and its use is not illegal. I notice that the doctor does not mention the huge evil of prescription addictive drugs that is stalking the land and possibly playing a part in the increase of adult mortality rates. In large part, these prescription drugs, such as Oxycontin, were originally prescribed by medical doctors for pain medication. Normal law-abiding citizens found themselves hopelessly addicted to these drugs following pain "management" for injuries or post-operative pain. I would much prefer that the good doctor would address this epidemic - and it would be interesting to see whether he gets funding for his projects or the ones he manages or the ones that occur in the same research centre where he works from the tobacco lobby!

1 hour ago, humqdpf said:

Starting to take a substance that is addictive is definitely not a good plan. And there are some indications in some early studies that nicotine alone may increase your risk of cancer (before, it was cigarettes containing tobacco which have a wide variety of carcinogens).

But in the broad realm of addictions, addiction to nicotine is one of the lesser evils. It is not a gateway drug, it leads to very little crime and its use is not illegal. I notice that the doctor does not mention the huge evil of prescription addictive drugs that is stalking the land and possibly playing a part in the increase of adult mortality rates. In large part, these prescription drugs, such as Oxycontin, were originally prescribed by medical doctors for pain medication. Normal law-abiding citizens found themselves hopelessly addicted to these drugs following pain "management" for injuries or post-operative pain. I would much prefer that the good doctor would address this epidemic - and it would be interesting to see whether he gets funding for his projects or the ones he manages or the ones that occur in the same research centre where he works from the tobacco lobby!

Do not leave out the invention of  LSD followed by wonder drugs like Paxil and Prozac to create a dependency on serotonin and dopamine for some of those that already had enough in their brain, to  suffer dramatic personality changes if they just suddenly realize it's the medicine causing the problem and stop taking it. The world could be such a happy place if Eli Lilly had run against Hillary Clinton

Couldn't agree more with what has been said. AS a former smoker, I just stopped one day about 15 years ago when I realized that the habit was too costly and I sepnt too much time finding places I could smoke in peace. I hope everyone can eventually quit. However, there is real danger out there with so called prescription drugs. Big Pharma as well as the tobacco industry could care less who gets addictedor dies. They are greedy and want the money so they can profit off the misery of others and governments are complicit because they get their cut from taxes.

Though I am certainly not an expert, I suspect that e-cigs are much less harmful that manufactured cigarettes.  However, I believe that the ingredients used in manufacturing the liquid should be regulated just as I believe manufactured cigarettes are primarily so harmful due to all the chemicals and other non-tobacco substances included in them.  Unfortunately, as with so many other powerful special interest lobbying groups in the US, the cigarette industry will continue to control the content of the debate as well as the outcomes.  Makes me wonder how much the US Surgeon General really cares about the overall health of the people.

23 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Couldn't agree more with what has been said. AS a former smoker, I just stopped one day about 15 years ago when I realized that the habit was too costly and I sepnt too much time finding places I could smoke in peace. I hope everyone can eventually quit. However, there is real danger out there with so called prescription drugs. Big Pharma as well as the tobacco industry could care less who gets addictedor dies. They are greedy and want the money so they can profit off the misery of others and governments are complicit because they get their cut from taxes.

Congratulations you healthy cheapskate. 

13 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Ecigarettes are becoming so blaise today. Tobacco manufacturers are now eyeing the cannabis market which is fast becoming legal. Just a natural progression of profits I guess. They have no shame on gain on their minds. 

I would not mind if they target the cannabis market.

With the power they have this would all be legal much quicker! :-) 

6 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Vape is a threat to tobacco industry and government tax schemes. These governments don't care about your health. The medical industry has a long history of blocking any alternative to their expensive treatments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And which alternatives have they blocked?

9 hours ago, nikotin said:

Ecigs! 555

They've not blocked Ecigs, just warned about them.

The report recommends that e-cigarettes be incorporated into existing smoke-free policies, including preventing young people from accessing them, implementing price and tax policies that discourage use and encouraging federal regulation of e-cigarette marketing.

Hard to argue with them trying to prevent young people from using them.  Or, keep them from smoke free areas.

So my question remains to be answered.....

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

They've not blocked Ecigs, just warned about them.

Hard to argue with them trying to prevent young people from using them.  Or, keep them from smoke free areas.

So my question remains to be answered.....

Ecigs are banned in many countries.

So is the liquid.

Yes, there should be restrictions on young people accessing nicotine based E-liquid. The ecig industry is unregulated in many countries and the proliferation of flavoured juice attractive to young people: bubble gum, fruits, candies etc is part of the problem. But as far as I can tell, young people are less interested in the nicotine levels as they are in the cloud chasing and the cool technology involved ( many use nicotine free juice or low levels like 3mg or 6mg).

Any former smoker knows that to make a smooth and painless transition to vaping, you need to start somewhere around 15 mg or higher. I didn't care about the flavour, so long as it wasn't sweet and had a decent nicotine hit.

The jury is still out on the health benefits but from a personal perspective I was delighted to give the fags the flick, instantly, and use the ecig devices.

E-cigs and nicotine juice ought to be regulated same as cigarettes.  Smoking, while culturally present in humanoid history for ages, isn't a healthy activity and is completely unnecessary to sustain life.

IMO, e-cigs as a lesser evil and for me and others, was an effective, alternate nicotine delivery platform.  Recognized the potential right away, and so my first day on E-cig was the last day I smoked a cigarette.   After 4 months, I began diluting Low strength nicotine juice 50/50 with 0% nicotine juice (I brought back from the US), then about 4 months later, quit vaping.  

I happened to be at night market in pattaya last night, and happened to be looking for ecig, as an attempt at givingup or at least not as harmful as tobacco. I eventually found a guy selling knifes, lasers, tasers, brass knuckles etc, and inquired if he sold ecigs. I swear it was as if I had asked for a gun or a kilo of heroin, after checking no police around etc, out comes the ecigs from under the counter, all the while the shop assistants keeping watch, hushed voices etc.

I dont get the fact that in many countries its now illeagal, harder to buy than tobacco etc

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I happened to be at night market in pattaya last night, and happened to be looking for ecig, as an attempt at givingup or at least not as harmful as tobacco. I eventually found a guy selling knifes, lasers, tasers, brass knuckles etc, and inquired if he sold ecigs. I swear it was as if I had asked for a gun or a kilo of heroin, after checking no police around etc, out comes the ecigs from under the counter, all the while the shop assistants keeping watch, hushed voices etc.

I dont get the fact that in many countries its now illeagal, harder to buy than tobacco etc

This is a real pain in the ass in thailand.

2 years ago I switched to vaping from 40 cigs a day from one day to the other,never felt better in 20 years,i am back in thailand for 3 month and run outta liquid 2 weeks ago....back to 30 fags a a day...

not to mention how cheap it is....i mixed the base(medical standard europe produced) with flavours myself...1 litre 12mg nicotine was around 60euro and lasts for 9-10 month!!!!

I read that in thailand the only product for stop smoking is sold by a son of some big offical bla bla guy.....there we go!

u can still vape,but the import and sale is the same as dealing with drugs!

crazy world.

Edited by nikotin

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Anyone who is weak-minded enough to get addicted to anything deserves the Darwinian consequences.

Always one of you twhats chiming in.  Your statement is correct but the attempt at insulting human characteristics, as primitive as they are, is the mind of a miserable sociopath. 

Edited by 55Jay

On 12/11/2016 at 1:01 PM, 55Jay said:

If aliens exist and are watching us, they've got to be perplexed by this one.  Or maybe laughing their asses off at how ridiculous we are.  :laugh: 

The medical faculty of one Thai university (one that I'm aware of, maybe there are more) did it's own research on this which resulted in a total ban on campus (anywhere on campus) of these items.

Also in the picture was objection from a group of students who claimed they had documented medical proof that e-cigs / vapes, etc., are totally harmless and therefore the university cannot ban them and they cannot stop students using their devices in the class room.

It turned out the 'medical documents' had been constructed by a low level sales team from a famous international tobacco manufacturer.

Total ban on campus remains.