Thinking of moving to Samui

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you want. Go there, stay there for at least one week, better two.

Rent a bike or a car and take your time to look around.

There is everything on Samui, good and bad.

I left Samui three years ago after staying there for 4 years. Wouldn't like to move back.

Enjoy yourself wherever you decide to go.

16 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

I think i''Ve got the message.....

shall avoid for sure...

thanks again

16 years so far and I'm as happy as a pig in sh1t and I'm far from being alone. The ne're do wells who trash the island on a serial basis from afar usually prove to have failed businesses or relationships for which the island is blamed instead of the face in the mirror. I'm glad to see the back of them for good reason.

Edited by evadgib

I still have very fond memories of Samui from the early 90's, I was probably one of the happy hippy types back then. Went back last time about 5 years ago and while I didn't think it was as good as it was back in the early 90's I do understand that that time is gone forever and I am 25 years older.

It is the same every where i'm afraid I went to Koh Chang in 92 and loved it actually preferred it to Samui, I still go to Koh Chang regularly but it isn't the same as what it was, but I still enjoy it.

Fortunately for me I still have the memories, but things change, people and places change constantly and that i'm afraid is the way of the world, it's nice to have memories but you also have to create new memories and not always look back at the past.

Really it's down to individual choice same as it was in your home country. What one person doesn't like is another person's paradise. People used to rave about little villages in North Yorkshire but they wasn't for me. Go judge for yourself if you don't you will only  regret it. In the years to come renting is the way forward there cheap and no worries about trying to sell up.

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

16 years so far and I'm as happy as a pig in sh1t and I'm far from being alone. The ne're do wells who trash the island on a serial basis from afar usually prove to have failed businesses or relationships for which the island is blamed instead of the face in the mirror. I'm glad to see the back of them for good reason.

Best comment on this thread....

But you forget the sad people that wish they lived here, bashing on the Internet from the UK.

22 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Yip !! Have been here 9 years and now want to leave. Overdeveloped everywhere with ugly buildings, not enough water , electric etc for them, garbage problems , traffic now a nightmare in certain areas during most of the day , people trying to rip you off for just about everything even if you can speak Thai to discuss prices , restaurant prices more than Michelin star restaurants in Europe for average food , people who think they own the place and every street and those who actually do and not forgetting criminals here hiding from the police !!

Im heading to the middle of nowhere as soon as i sell my properties in a flooded property market !!

Yep I could not of put it better myself

10 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Don't need a link, just from people i know and from reading TV !

The latter was explained in my post #34 while the former if any exist are unlikely to exceed half a dozen, unless of course you're relying on 3rd hand claptrap from 'a bloke in a pub'!

Edited by evadgib

I live on Samui since 26 years, have been here also in the 80s, when I was even younger. I can tell you, there are more Farangs here than ever. Maybe not more single male English, Australians or German in their 20s to 50s, but much more older Farangs, much more from East and South Europe, much more Farang women, much more young farang families.

2 hours ago, Birdman said:

I live on Samui since 26 years, have been here also in the 80s, when I was even younger. I can tell you, there are more Farangs here than ever. Maybe not more single male English, Australians or German in their 20s to 50s, but much more older Farangs, much more from East and South Europe, much more Farang women, much more young farang families.

Apart from OP's question, I think you, Birdman, hit extremely well that the foreigners living on Samui in numbers are more families and ladies, than single gentlemen.

I have often said, that when thinking of the soi where I stay, half of the foreigners I know living there are ladies. And we also see more families, and I do not mean farang-Thai, but farang-farang families that settles on the island. How many International schools do "we" have now, 4? – presume that's Okay for an island the size of Samui.

Also the tourist have changed over the just 15 years I've been coming here, changed to more families with children, and foreign couples – it's not that many singe gentlemen coming any more – and of course the young folks in thousands flocking mainly Chaweng, heading for parties...

:smile:

Last year I rented a villa in the hills of Bang Mor for a month to get away from the smoke here in Chiang  Mai... we liked the area and the slow side of the island... 

The one thing that worried me was there is basically one main road that circles the island and we had a motorcycle... About every 2-4 days traffic backed up - once we got thru we found someone (more often than not a farrang) strewn out on the road bleeding waiting for the ambulance...  the Thais follow no rules and the Farrang tourist quickly do a monkey see monkey do without understanding the risks...

Edited by sfokevin

On 12/10/2016 at 6:28 PM, robertthebruce said:

I think i''Ve got the message.....

shall avoid for sure...

thanks again

Good for you....i have been a Samui person for just abt 30yrs...when i 1st came was beautiful...as in previous posts the place is now a s...t hole...rubbish everywhere..lawless [if u r a farang]..and worst of all overpricing...everything here abt 15/20% dearer than mainland.

SO AS IN OTHER POSTS ON THE SUBJECT....GIVE IT A WIDE..VERY WIDE BERTH....OK  

10 hours ago, superdome said:

Good for you....i have been a Samui person for just abt 30yrs...when i 1st came was beautiful...as in previous posts the place is now a s...t hole...rubbish everywhere..lawless [if u r a farang]..and worst of all overpricing...everything here abt 15/20% dearer than mainland.

SO AS IN OTHER POSTS ON THE SUBJECT....GIVE IT A WIDE..VERY WIDE BERTH....OK  

"What have the Romans ever done for us"?

Schools, Supermarkets, Airport, Ring road, Hospitals, Gas stations, ATMs, Car dealers, Cinemas,? The only thing missing is a ski slope!

I for one don't miss dead buffalo c/w fur, feathers and flies as the prime source of meat at the local market & nor do I miss the annual lack of staples like bread, butter, milk when 7/11 etc ran out each Christmas until mid January.

It is better here now than it ever was back then, but well done for putting the OP and others off seeing for themselves :(

Edited by evadgib

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

"What have the Romans ever done for us"?

Schools, Supermarkets, Airport, Ring road, Hospitals, Gas stations, ATMs, Car dealers, Cinemas,? The only thing missing is a ski slope!

I for one don't miss dead buffalo c/w fur, feathers and flies as the prime source of meat at the local market & nor do I miss the annual lack of staples like bread, butter, milk when 7/11 etc ran out each Christmas until mid January.

It is better here now than it ever was back then, but well done for putting the OP and others off seeing for themselves :(

Well the guy wanted to hear other people their own opinions about the place then when  others give their option and then when it's not positive enough opinions u start to complain?i will do u a favor: sir Samui is the best place on earth ???

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Don't sweat it,  there is enough people living on the island and we can do without those who are using others opinion to decide on whether they should move here or not.

Those who aren't able to come here and form their own opinion should prolly stay where they are.

Edited by lom

14 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Last year I rented a villa in the hills of Bang Mor for a month to get away from the smoke here in Chiang  Mai... we liked the area and the slow side of the island... 

The one thing that worried me was there is basically one main road that circles the island and we had a motorcycle... About every 2-4 days traffic backed up - once we got thru we found someone (more often than not a farrang) strewn out on the road bleeding waiting for the ambulance...  the Thais follow no rules and the Farrang tourist quickly do a monkey see monkey do without understanding the risks...

This is a problem that isn't unique to Samui, other islands are just as bad.

I personally think that a lot of the falangs who have been involved in accidents don't have any experience on any sort of motorbike and Thailand isn't the best place to learn to ride, that coupled with defective bikes and you have a recipe for disaster. It doesn't stop there though drinking and driving is a big problem here as well with both thais and falangs and also continental Europeans and americans who drive on the other side of the road and forget which side they should be on.

I have over 30 years motorbiking experience and I ride in Thailand and haven't had a problem, but there are lots of falang who have no experience and I would recommend them not to ride bikes here unless they want to become another statistic.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well the guy wanted to hear other people their own opinions about the place then when  others give their option and then when it's not positive enough opinions u start to complain?i will do u a favor: sir Samui is the best place on earth ???

He certainly seems to have accepted the negative rather too easily, but generally anyone in PHK (OPs current location) would find Samui less bent than they're used too.

If I open a thread with the keyword 'Samui' in the title failled residents would troll it if I said I'd lost my car keys :)

Edited by evadgib

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

What your motives to move there?

Samui it always rains there 6 days out of the week yet the only activity to do is go sit on some beaches

Maybe fun location for a long weekend but to relocated there?

Each their preferences – I've been resident here for more than 10-years now, not to forget the five previous commuting years, and I have never been bored – seem like you been Samui one week only during a rainy off-season monsun in small hut on a deserted beach. Average daily sunshine hours, based on 365 days, is 6 hours (5.9 to be precise), and average number of days with (any kind of) rain in a year is 158, with a total of 1,960mm in a year. Phuket, for comparison, has 5.7 average hours of daily sunshine, and 171 rainy days, with a total of 2,069mm in a year. So if you have long-time experience with 6 rainy days a week, please speak...

Edited by khunPer

15 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I refuse to pay the extortionist airfares so never been but knowing many who have and all say the same.. Don't bother

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The extortionist airfares are a great for Koh Samui, otherwise "our" island would be overpopulated...:smile:

36 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I refuse to pay the extortionist airfares so never been but knowing many who have and all say the same.. Don't bother

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

So none came via NST, Surratthani, or tried the ferries? 

Methinks #41 applies :)

Edited by evadgib

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

Each their preferences – I've been resident here for more than 10-years now, not to forget the five previous commuting years, and I have never been bored – seem like you been Samui one week only during a rainy off-season monsun in small hut on a deserted beach. Average daily sunshine hours, based on 365 days, is 6 hours (5.9 to be precise), and average number of days with (any kind of) rain in a year is 158, with a total of 1,960mm in a year. Phuket, for comparison, has 5.7 average hours of daily sunshine, and 171 rainy days, with a total of 2,069mm in a year. So if you have long-time experience with 6 rainy days a week, please speak...

Just saying that it frequent rains there...just saying that its a small island with not much going on.If u like unpaved roads and mud under ur shoes then go for it.