KLM. How Are They?

NoshowJones

This may not be much help. I have long legs and like the extra leg room. When I flew on mileage to Phuket from California through Hong Kong....the last leg to Phuket was on DragonAir, so somebody may know the parent company. When I asked about emergency row seating they offered me a side seat where there wasn't a seat in front of me, so I could just stretch my legs out and get up without anybody in the way. It cost a hundred dollars extra, but was well worth it to me. I did this a couple ot times with them. Problem with emergency row is the seat by the door is robbed of some room because of the intruding door shape, and the middle seat is cramped with people each side, so the only seat is the aisle one worth getting. One time I flew emergency door seat on TWA and the outside air was leaking in unbeknownst to me. Went I went to get up my feet were frozen and I fell onto the floor because I had no feeling in my feet. There were not any other seats available, so I ended up having the stewardesses wrap my feet in blankets to be able to handle the cold. Very strange experience. These days I would have complained bitterly and demanded compensation of some kind. But then I was naive and froze. You cannot imagine how happy I was to get off that plane. Chances are this was an ongoing problem that wasn't handled in servicing etc. One of the weird experiences of flying.

we should have a discussion on here of strange experiences we have had while flying, plane crashes, etc.

The far worst airport I know is Paris CDG. Also I was not amused about Lisbon.

The air carriers which I dislike: Air Asia Indonesia, Air France

The airports - smaller and bigger ones -  I like most because of their easy navigation, comfort and friendliness: AMS, Zurich, Vienna, Helsinki.

Depending on your destination, connection and your budget you may consider to fly Swiss

3 hours ago, RogerP said:

Malaysian for value. 19,500 baht return Phuket to London next June. 

I forgot about those. I needed to attend an industry convention in London at very short notice last month and Malaysian came up cheaper than anything direct from BKK with a mid-east or European layover. My business partner was traveling from KL so that's how we found the bargain fare. I think it was 22,810 with acceptable layovers in KL, about 6 hours going but only 2 hours coming back. KUL is a decent airport for a layover with a few lounges, loads of eating choices and pretty good shopping (cigar shop on the satellite terminal is very good). They used A380's for the long sector with standard coach seating but the flight wasn't full.

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

I called them last week to change a flight back to ABZ via Amsterdam. Told me £400 would be added charge & was the cheapest they could do. The return flight cost me £450 so this was almost same price. Crazy!
I ended up not flying home and will just book a flight with another airline nearer the time I have to return home.
KLM told me the return ticket I purchased could only be changed if I wanted to return within 6 months from outward flight. Nowhere on my booking was this outlined!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I almost lost a KLM return flight a few years back when a ticket with 1-year validity was purged from their system. I had already moved the return date twice at no charge but when I went to move it for the final time, the booking code wasn't valid online. Ended up spending a fair bit talking with their customer service in Hamsterjam and they explained how their systems will sometimes purge what looks like a 'forgotten' ticket without trying to notify the holder! It was reinstated at no charge but stopped me from leaving open-ended return tickets unused for too long or nudging return dates too many times.

I find KLM okay,  not terrible or great just okay.

Air France are terrible, and CDG continues to be the worst airport in the world.

Emirates are very good but you pay more for it.

Someone mentioned Malaysian!, they should be very cheap after the run of luck they had a couple of years ago !

I've flown KLM a number of times and don't like either them or Schipol. On about half the flights I've flown with them, they've been late for various reasons. I now avoid them if I can but sometimes the best deal when flying to Edinburgh is to transit through Amsterdam. 

Alan