Cleaning stainless steel pan

kingalfred

I used to leave a very small amount of water in them and add vinegar and baking soda to soak over night but if they are really badly burnt you may not be able to get all the black out, a steel pad(with soap already attached) is better than a scourer but not sure if you can get them here

Edited by seajae

3 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Smooth sandpaper ( number 200 or so) . If it goes really deep , use lower number first.

Wire brush bit for a drill would be better or better still take it to someone who makes the stainless gates they will have some polishing kit that should remove the burn marks. If it was me I would keep using it or bin it and buy another.

2 hours ago, seajae said:

I used to leave a very small amount of water in them and add vinegar and baking soda to soak over night but if they are really badly burnt you may not be able to get all the black out, a steel pad(with soap already attached) is better than a scourer but not sure if you can get them here

what brillo  iant idea

Some mild acids, such as a paste of vinegar and potassium bitartrate, also known as cream of tartar (sold in the spice or baking section of most large supermarkets) can loosen burned, stuck-on food.  However, if you've completely carbonized something in the bottom of the pan, acids won't be effective as carbon is inert and insoluble in most household reagents.  

You can try the sodium hydroxide (what posts #10 & 11 are referring to) which is available in the cleaning section as powdered drain opener.  Don't use this on aluminum pans.  Don't heat it up - it gets plenty hot on its own when mixed with water - and protect your skin & eyes while working. Just let it sit overnight.

If none of this works, just live with it.  Whatever is stuck to the pan isn't coming off so you shouldn't have any worries about continuing to cook with it.

I second the vinegar-- it got the seasoning out of my wok when no amount of elbow grease would.  I've also used ketchup for removing rust and tarnish and such-- it sounds silly, but it works.  Obviously, apply either and let it sit for a while.

This worked when I burned a Le Creuset pan.

Simmer a mixture of white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda in the pan for an hour (keep topping it up - don't forget it like you did last time) then leave it to soak overnight.

Don't ask me how to get rid of the vinegar smell from your house.