Bringing cash US$ 12000,00 to Thailand.Any problem s ? What procedures should I do ?

I am Brazilian bringing cash to Thailand to open a bank account to be able to apply for a long stay visa .I am going to declare the money to Brazilian customs.When I enter Thailand ,I should take the  Goods to declare channel,and declare the money . Is there any problem to bring the money ? Do I need to pay any kind of Tax ? Fee ?

Thanks all for orienting me.

Isac 

As said you can bring 20,000 US dollars in without declaring it.

Info here: http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=arriving_in_thailand&lang=en&left_menu=menu_arriving_in_thailand

If you are planning on applying for a non immigrant visa at immigration that would allow you to apply for an extension based upon retirement you would not be able to apply for it uness you transferred the funds into a bank account. You must have a letter from a bank confirming the funds were transferred into the country.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Can I bring 23000,00 US$ dollars..?

I think is not possible to open an account with small money and holding a tourist visa,is it possible ?

Thanks for helping me,

Isac

You can open an account with a deposit of 500 baht. You just have to try different banks to open an account.

Bangkok Bank'''s requirements are here:  http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

• Like 1

Thanks Ubonjoe again,

That means I CAN NOT bring the money,open an account ,keep the money in the bank for 3 months and apply for the visa ???

It must be transferred from a bank ? Is very difficult to transfer money from Brazil to Thailand due to Brazilian regulations,I am not sure I will be able to do it.

Any other option ?

Thanks.

You should be able to send the money to yourself via Western Union just before you depart Brazil. The WU receipt would be your confirmation of the money's origin.

Or, you could come here, open an account, and arrange a "pull" wire transfer. This might require having a discussion with your local bank before departure.   

26 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Can I bring 23000,00 US$ dollars..?

I think is not possible to open an account with small money and holding a tourist visa,is it possible ?

Thanks for helping me,

Isac

Its not that easy on a tourist visa, but it is possible. if you can open an account, they will open it with a couple of thousand baht. If you are doing the O Visa route, then the banks will open an account with an O visa, transfer money into the account then do your extension. 

6 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thanks Ubonjoe again,

That means I CAN NOT bring the money,open an account ,keep the money in the bank for 3 months and apply for the visa ???

It must be transferred from a bank ? Is very difficult to transfer money from Brazil to Thailand due to Brazilian regulations,I am not sure I will be able to do it.

Any other option ?

Thanks.

That is to apply for a visa you will need to apply for the extension. If you entered on a non-o visa you could put the cash in a bank account and apply for the extension of stay 60 days after you put the money in the bank.

You best option may be to bring the money in and then go to Vientiane or Penang to apply for a single entry non-o visa. The 800k baht would only need to be in the bank on the date you apply.

You may be able to get a single entry non-o visa at the honorary consulates in Rio or Sao Paulo. Contact info is here:  http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand-travel-information/honcon-americas.php

Having the non-o visa would also make it easier to open the bank account.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is to apply for a visa you will need to apply for the extension. If you entered on a non-o visa you could put the cash in a bank account and apply for the extension of stay 60 days after you put the money in the bank.

You best option may be to bring the money in and then go to Vientiane or Penang to apply for a single entry non-o visa. The 800k baht would only need to be in the bank on the date you apply.

You may be able to get a single entry non-o visa at the honorary consulates in Rio or Sao Paulo. Contact info is here:  http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand-travel-information/honcon-americas.php

Having the non-o visa would also make it easier to open the bank account.

I was reading all that documents neeeded to apply for a non-o visa at Brasilia Thay Embassy,not possible to get a non-o in Rio or Sao Paulo,and is a huge ammount of paper,with many officialy notarized documents,wtich would take me more then 2 months..

I will be entering Thailand under a visa exempt entry.Can I deposit the money for 3 months,keep it in the bank,go to Penang to apply for a non-o visa,then apply for a extension,based on retirement,in Phuket ? Sorry I am very confused.I am 63 yo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thanks Ubonjoe again,

Any other option ?

Thanks.

From what I have read of Brazil's policy (you may know more), you can transfer under $10K USD per month or $21K USD per year without triggering the audit.  That yearly limit blocks you from reaching your 800K Baht goal.   Be aware that Thailand might have a similar "money laundering" question, if you did show up with that much cash in a briefcase.

A way around this would be to use a 3rd Party country.  In other words, on your way to Thailand, stop in a country where it is relatively easy to open an account, and from which transfers to Thailand are not a problem.  Deposit $7K in cash in an account in that country.  Then, over 2 months, transfer to your Thai account ~$16K USD directly from Brazil (well under their limit, if spread over 2 months), plus the money from the 3rd country.

Brazilians are given 90-days Visa Exempt, so you could bring in the money over the course of 90-days using one Visa Exempt (90 days due to bilateral treaty).  Though not seasoned enough for a 1-year Non-O/Retirement extension, you would qualify for a single-entry Non-O obtained in Laos (90-days).  During the last 30 days of that visa, you could apply for the 1-year extension.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

From what I have read of Brazil's policy (you may know more), you can transfer under $10K USD per month or $21K USD per year without triggering the audit.  That yearly limit blocks you from reaching your 800K Baht goal.   Be aware that Thailand might have a similar "money laundering" question, if you did show up with that much cash in a briefcase.

A way around this would be to use a 3rd Party country.  In other words, on your way to Thailand, stop in a country where it is relatively easy to open an account, and from which transfers to Thailand are not a problem.  Deposit $7K in cash in an account in that country.  Then, over 2 months, transfer to your Thai account ~$16K USD directly from Brazil (well under their limit, if spread over 2 months), plus the money from the 3rd country.

Brazilians are given 90-days Visa Exempt, so you could bring in the money over the course of 90-days using one Visa Exempt (90 days due to bilateral treaty).  Though not seasoned enough for a 1-year Non-O/Retirement extension, you would qualify for a single-entry Non-O obtained in Laos (90-days).  During the last 30 days of that visa, you could apply for the 1-year extension.

Thanks very much,From my readings ,I can take the money out from Brazil,as long as,I declare it to customs and can show, proof,that I bought the money in a Bank and declare it in my income tax,wtich I can do.It is clean and declared money.Would I have problems with Thai customs ? Can I do the same thing in Penang  insted of Laos? More difficult ?Ineed to show the Thai bank deposit of 800000 baht and what other documents ? Can I apply for the 1 year extension at Phuket immigration ?

Sorry,I understand it is too many questions,and thank you very much for your help.

2 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thanks very much,From my readings ,I can take the money out from Brazil,as long as,I declare it to customs and can show, proof,that I bought the money in a Bank and declare it in my income tax,wtich I can do.It is clean and declared money.Would I have problems with Thai customs ? Can I do the same thing in Penang  insted of Laos? More difficult ?Ineed to show the Thai bank deposit of 800000 baht and what other documents ? Can I apply for the 1 year extension at Phuket immigration ?

Sorry,I understand it is too many questions,and thank you very much for your help.

I think you missed my earlier post about getting the non-o visa. I included Penang in my post. You can apply in Penang  by showing the 800k baht the bank but they may ask for proof you are retired.

You can a apply for the extension of stay at Phuket immigration.

You should try to get the non-o visa before leaving Brazil at one of the honorary consulates I mentioned earlier.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you missed my earlier post about getting the non-o visa. I included Penang in my post. You can apply in Penang  by showing the 800k baht the bank but they may ask for proof you are retired.

You can a apply for the extension of stay at Phuket immigration.

You should try to get the non-o visa before leaving Brazil at one of the honorary consulates I mentioned earlier.

Thanks again.I have a letter from the social security agency ,in portuguese,translated to english,by a sworn translator,but not notarised,should it be enough in Penang or Vientiane ?Better go to Vientiane ?Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Thanks again.I have a letter from the social security agency ,in portuguese,translated to english,by a sworn translator,but not notarised,should it be enough in Penang or Vientiane ?Better go to Vientiane ?Thanks.

That should be enough to prove you are retired. That might also help with opening a bank account. From the list of requirements for Bangkok Bank "or from a national institution of your home country (such as pension fund); "

7 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

As others have pointed out, if you deposit it all as cash in Thailand, you may run into issues showing that the money in question originated outside Thailand, in order to qualify for the 1-year permission of stay based on retirement. 

5 minutes ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

Your social security income can be used as "proof of income" towards your retirement visa.  You can combine both your "social security" income PLUS "money in the bank" to qualify - provided they add up to 800K Baht total.  This could reduce the amount of money you need to get into a Thai bank account, allowing you to stay under Brazil's annual transfer limit.

You will need a letter from your embassy certifying the income portion, which should be easy to get with your letter from social-security, if your Embassy requires proof (some do and some do not).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

As others have pointed out, if you deposit it all as cash in Thailand, you may run into issues showing that the money in question originated outside Thailand, in order to qualify for the 1-year permission of stay based on retirement. 

Not a problem to apply for the extension. Only if he wanted to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry  at immigration.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Your social security income can be used as "proof of income" towards your retirement visa.  You can combine both your "social security" income PLUS "money in the bank" to qualify - provided they add up to 800K Baht total.  This could reduce the amount of money you need to get into a Thai bank account, allowing you to stay under Brazil's annual transfer limit.

You will need a letter from your embassy certifying the income portion, which should be easy to get with your letter from social-security, if your Embassy requires proof (some do and some do not).

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This portion of my post was incorrect - apologies - follow UJ's advise on this.  

I normally bring in £10,000 UK pounds cash when I come back from a trip to the UK. Never had any issues. Reason I bring it is cash and  not a bank transfier is so I can change it up at 'superrich' and get a better rate than the bank rates.

• Like 1

Has no-one here heard of travelers cheques?

I still have the last GBP 1,000 I bought in 2005 before I left UK, they never expire and are useless to anyone but you. Why would anyone risk carrying that much cash?

The fee to change them ad-hoc has risen in the past few years but if you have a bank account sometimes they will waiver the fee (or charge a max 500 baht) to deposit a larger amount.

I have used the same 1,000 to apply for tourist visas to Australia, China, and to show proof of 20,000 baht at Sadao border on several occasions.

That is, after all what they were invented for.

:smile:

i do not see a problem to bring in the money in cash , any sum , even under the 20 000 USD value and report it at Thai customs , you receive a document for it , then you can deposit  at any Thai bank as brought in from abroad with that document ,this is equal as transferred from abroad ,even more as you declared it at leaving Brazil .

You could also on top give the reason for transfer " to buy condo property in Thailand" , so you can later if buying one ,and selling later transfer out Thailand with NO problems when obtaining a F.E.T.  Prove of bringing in money from abroad is  the Customs doc.

7 hours ago, Isac Szwarc Brasil said:

I wasisread etng all that documents nee nded to apply for a non-o visa at Brasilia Thay Esinbassy,not possible to get a non-o in Rio or Sao Paulo,and is a huge ammount of paper,with many officialy notarized documents,wtich would take me more then 2 months..

I will be entering Thailand under a visa exempt entry.Can I deposit the money for 3 months,keep it in the bank,go to Penang to apply for a non-o visa,then apply for a extension,based on retirement,in Phuket ? Sorry I am very confused.I am 63 yo.

Yes you could put money even longer before. I did like this.

Opened an account at Bangkok bank as tourist visa with 500 baht (15$). Find a branch where they speak well english and have many foreigners, you can explain the purpose of the account.

Deposit money, go out to make new visa and come back to update type of visa In your account record and bank book (which Is Important fase).

Have sent the money on the accvount.

Then got a Non Imm. visa at Thai embassy, with which I have entered the country.

Have completed the 800.000 baht adding some more for the expences and not risk to go under that amount even one day.

Have then waited to pass the 60 days and have made Retirement stay permit application with the bank's declaration and copy of account's bank book. At that time they didn't check where money coming from.

Even recently this year I have made extention and origin of money was not a problem.

If you apply In Phuket provide you have a room rented or hotel booking for at least the remaining days of your 90days visa. Cause they are capable to call the owner or the hotel reception and check If the adress you write on the form Is true.

Bangkok Instead Is also carefull but more elastic open minded.

Edited by MaxiMaxi
Add something to complete