Teachers warned cutting student's hair could be assault, says online lawyer

webfact

On 13/12/2016 at 10:23 AM, apex2000 said:

I've seen this many times. Why are schools so strict about hair length - shorter hair means a student is more intelligent? No way.
If schools were more concerned about their teaching and not waste so much time on checking the length of students' hair, maybe the general level of education would increase.
Yes, schools need to have rules, but this hair thing is ridiculous. As long as the student's hair is respectably tidy - maybe tied back in the case of females - there should be no need for any other rule or any abuse by the cutting of hair by teachers.

In the UK if a student does not conform to school hair policy they are banned from school.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same happened to our 18-year-old electronic student at the local "technical college" where such a guy did such a perverted job that our son - in tears- needed to cut all hair off.

The teacher then got a message from me through our son that I'd show up and do the same to him if that would happen again, including  the intervention of my neighbor who's a good lawyer.

It never happened again.

2 hours ago, whatproblem said:

So what's your country then ? I now many young lads with long hair in England and some with coloured hair ,they can not be discriminated against because of that

I am imagine you are talking about vocational school and or university which are more because students are older and less likely to influence other young adults .

I am sure formal primary and high school have a hair and dress code. 

I don't believe you. 

4 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

What country, is it one with a rampant wealth disparity?  Being from the UK, where inequality goes unchecked, there is a need to be inclusive, allow children to wear their home clothes and there will be groups in designer clothes and others in rags, that is the sad reality of the UK.

Yeah...am...it was Germany!

I guess, not much different from the UK...

20 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Same happened to our 18-year-old electronic student at the local "technical college" where such a guy did such a perverted job that our son - in tears- needed to cut all hair off.

The teacher then got a message from me through our son that I'd show up and do the same to him if that would happen again, including  the intervention of my neighbor who's a good lawyer.

It never happened again.

So as an 18yr old who I presume can read and knows the rules of the establishment he is being taught in? why then did he not get his own hair cut beforehand? Surley doesn't need mum or dad to tell him his hair is to long now!!

19 hours ago, greenchair said:

I am imagine you are talking about vocational school and or university which are more because students are older and less likely to influence other young adults .

I don't believe you. 

No, you are wrong, school kids in the UK can die their hair and wear it as long as they like, it basically comes down to equal rights, if the girls can have long hair so can the boys.

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

No, you are wrong, school kids in the UK can die their hair and wear it as long as they like, it basically comes down to equal rights, if the girls can have long hair so can the boys.

You are correct to a point some schools have that policy other schools have full set out rules on clothing and hair policy which parents and students must sign as agreeing to abide by these school rules same as earings/mobile phones/shoe color/wearing of ties ect ect ect.

21 hours ago, greenchair said:

I don't believe you. 

But still you not say your country ,are you ashamed of your heritage. I not talk about university,I talk about secondary schools where children decide their hair ,younger children than that have parents who decide their hair not schools .

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

You are correct to a point some schools have that policy other schools have full set out rules on clothing and hair policy which parents and students must sign as agreeing to abide by these school rules same as earings/mobile phones/shoe color/wearing of ties ect ect ect.

And the same in Thailand. Private schools have mixed policy according to the school. Government schools have an across the board policy. If parents don't like it, they can change schools, but the policy is not up to the children and parents. 

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

So as an 18yr old who I presume can read and knows the rules of the establishment he is being taught in? why then did he not get his own hair cut beforehand? Surley doesn't need mum or dad to tell him his hair is to long now!!

He's 17 when it happened and the teacher in question is a real freak.

He's just showing his "power" he's got over the students.

It's a little PE teacher who's got nothing to say at home and cutting a lot of hair at one side off seems to be his sick hobby.

He never had long hair and it wasn't even over his ears. Nothing to do with mom and dad telling him that his hair's too long, sorry. 

It's just a very stupid powerplay of a guy who shouldn't be at a school. 

21 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Quite different actually, the UK has the greatest disparity in wealth in the EU and second greatest in the developed world, Germany doesn't come close.

I'm just wondering how much you know about Germany? 

Your post doesn't fit with various UK companies that were sold to German companies. What about Rolls Royce, German-owned? 

The UK wouldn't be as it is without countries like Germany. Just wait for the BREXIT and see. 

BTW, there're four countries in the UK and I usually hear a lot of bad things from English guys about Scots, Welsh, etc..

Then the Irish........

I'm just wondering why people from the UK like to drive a Benz, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen or Porsche? Hmmm, I'd love a Rolls Royce. 

13 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

I'm just wondering how much you know about Germany? 

Your post doesn't fit with various UK companies that were sold to German companies. What about Rolls Royce, German-owned? 

The UK wouldn't be as it is without countries like Germany. Just wait for the BREXIT and see. 

BTW, there're four countries in the UK and I usually hear a lot of bad things from English guys about Scots, Welsh, etc..

Then the Irish........

I'm just wondering why people from the UK like to drive a Benz, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen or Porsche? Hmmm, I'd love a Rolls Royce. 

In what way does the huge disparity in wealth in the UK and the greater levels of equality in Germany relate to companies operating in the UK being owned by German companies?  Do you know what disparity means?  It would appear not!

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

There are guidelines set by the Department of Education which make clear that any kind of discrimination based on sex is unacceptable.  There may be some schools that have gone outside of this and used a declaration to avoid prosecution, but the norm is to not have different rules for boys and girls and not to stipulate things like hair length or style.

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

And the same in Thailand. Private schools have mixed policy according to the school. Government schools have an across the board policy. If parents don't like it, they can change schools, but the policy is not up to the children and parents. 

Except that is not the same, government schools in the UK have an across the board guideline intended to prevent sexual discrimination which states that rules should be the same for boys and girls whereas in Thailand they are quite different for boys and girls.

And as I already told you, your assumption that a parent can just change schools is ludicrous, there is not always an option, obviously.  And why should a parent have to change their child's school just because the rules are ridiculous?  Are you not a fan of democratic freedom?

2 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Except that is not the same, government schools in the UK have an across the board guideline intended to prevent sexual discrimination which states that rules should be the same for boys and girls whereas in Thailand they are quite different for boys and girls.

And as I already told you, your assumption that a parent can just change schools is ludicrous, there is not always an option, obviously.  And why should a parent have to change their child's school just because the rules are ridiculous?  Are you not a fan of democratic freedom?

Very true ,perhaps these teachers with problems should go work in a prison ,they could feel more important,untill one of the inmates takes offence 

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

There are guidelines set by the Department of Education which make clear that any kind of discrimination based on sex is unacceptable.  There may be some schools that have gone outside of this and used a declaration to avoid prosecution, but the norm is to not have different rules for boys and girls and not to stipulate things like hair length or style.

You are quite wrong each school whilst following guidelines are free to set there own standards. 

9 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

You are quite wrong each school whilst following guidelines are free to set there own standards. 

I didn't say they couldn't set their own standards, I said they cannot discriminate based on sex. 

When they set standards unequally to the two sexes, "Such a requirement will need to be justified as a proportionate way of achieving a reasonable objective if it is to be lawful, and the policy will need to be flexible enough to allow for necessary exceptions."

I think you will find it rather difficult to come up with the reasonable objective behind requiring different length hair for boys and girls.

There is no problem there I know several schools who insist on girls hair if long is always tied up in a bun hence looks shorter. k have aso known where a boys hair that was long was also tied up in a bun however the said boy did have his hair cut soon after I think it was called peer pressure. so you see I never said diffrent lengths of hair I said  there own standards.

2 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

There is no problem there I know several schools who insist on girls hair if long is always tied up in a bun hence looks shorter. k have aso known where a boys hair that was long was also tied up in a bun however the said boy did have his hair cut soon after I think it was called peer pressure. so you see I never said diffrent lengths of hair I said  there own standards.

You also said I was "quite wrong", mind pointing out exactly how?