Tourists flooding into Thailand - some islands "twice as much as last year"

webfact

Tourists flooding into Thailand - some islands "twice as much as last year"

p3.jpg

Picture: Naewna

BANGKOK: -- Tourists have been flooding into Thailand as the high season for visitors picks up pace.

Operators and local officials at the beaches in particular report a huge number of visitors.

In the far south in Satun province the head of the Tarutao National Park said that this year there had been 20,000 visitors both Thai and foreign tourists since October 15th.

"There are twice as many visitor to this area then there were last year," said Panaphol Chiwaserichon, the Tarutao park chief.

The most popular place was Koh Lipe where most foreign tourists stayed overnight before moving onto other areas of the marine park. Visitors to the area were 50% Thai and 50% foreign.

Naewna  reported that locals were delighted with the influx but asked visitors to protect the environment and keep it pristine and beautiful for others who would come after them. 

They reminded visitors not to take souvenirs such as shells and coral away with them, actions that are illegal according to Thai law.

p4.jpg

Meanwhile Manager Online reported that visitors had been pouring into Koh Chang in Trat province. Operators told reporters that most of the influx was Scandinavians or other Europeans escaping the cold in their homelands.

Manager reported that this was the best time of the year to visit Koh Chang as it was pleasantly warm and both the skies and sea were beautiful and blue.

The recent long Constitution Day weekend had seen the tourist season really get going in earnest on the island.

Sources: Naewna, Manager online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-13

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, this article is being too modest: there are not merely double the numbers of tourists now - there are trillions more - in fact, even more than the population of the planet.

I know this  - because the Tourism Minister and TAT have told me so, and they never lie!

Just now, Eligius said:

Oh, this article is being too modest: there are not merely double the numbers of tourists now - there are trillions more - in fact, even more than the population of the planet.

I know this  - because the Tourism Minister and TAT have told me so, and they never lie!

How many hotel and restaurant owners and other business people are out everyday with their binoculars looking for all these tourists ?

Well.... I live in Trat, a regular stop-over for people on their way to Koh Chang, and I must admit that the number of tourists has doubled recently!

Yesterday, for instance, I counted at least 4 in the most popular guesthouse in our fair city.

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

Interesting, a search on Agoda for vacancies in Koh Chang from 18th - 28th December shows around 100 hotels etc with rooms available for that whole period!

Now!

Dont you spoil it by telling the truth!

In jomtien there are more empty chairs at the beaches this year then previous years, also the Russians that use to sit on the free part are missing. the beach is crowded with police and a lot of old folks are complaining about this. They say they are looking for illegal vendors but fact is the police tell them to pay 2000 baht and they can sell openly to new year. All this is not good for tourism.

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

You quit picking on Ms. Kobkorn the dear lady. Sometimes she does get the vapors. 

Edited by elgordo38

3 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

How many hotel and restaurant owners and other business people are out everyday with their binoculars looking for all these tourists ?

All the ones with a  white  stick and labrador

All <deleted>. Living in a tourist hub and everybody's business is down in comparison to last year. Mia's shop also down by 30 %...

Donno what kind of mushrooms these guys have for breakfast, lunch and dinner

They probably want to make that 6% increase to make the junta happy. After they quashed the zero RMB tours which may or may have not been illegal or a bad idea, they are left with a trickle.  It is best never to mess with a working business too much.  You manage your business.  Your customers control it.  

I came in swampy yesterday and it took me 1 minute as queueless as  the TIT lady is clueless .

Yes things likely be better in figures in December as peak time but reality is Thai tourism is in sh1t street like just about everything in this messy country :-( 

100% increase of what :-)

You always know when tourism here is in sh1t as 1: they announce ridiculous data, and ideas 2: setv's have fee's removed :-)

3 hours ago, Bullie said:

Well.... I live in Trat, a regular stop-over for people on their way to Koh Chang, and I must admit that the number of tourists has doubled recently!

Yesterday, for instance, I counted at least 4 in the most popular guesthouse in our fair city.

Much better than the 1 1/2 that were there last week