Why Isn't There Any Seats On The Mrt Stations?

Livinginexile

Its one of those little things that really gets up my nose.

There are absolutely no seats on the underground stations!!. What about the old people, pregnant women, the disabled, the infirmed......and me when I'm pooped.

What is that? there is plenty of room for a few seats. Once after a long walk in the heat I squated down on the platform and a security guard prodded me with his batton and indicated with it to stand up.

Does anyone have a reason for this?

It's common practice on mass-transit systems. Intended to reduce loitering (same with the no sitting rule), with trains every <8 mins or so most people don't need / want to sit.

I do agree with the disabled / pregnant point, unfortunately providing seating often results in abuse :o

It's common practice on mass-transit systems. Intended to reduce loitering (same with the no sitting rule), with trains every <8 mins or so most people don't need / want to sit.

I do agree with the disabled / pregnant point, unfortunately providing seating often results in abuse :o

I thought about this too but I really can't see how it would stop loitering. They have seats on BTS stations and I have never ever seen anyone loitering on the chairs.

There is a security guard on every platform and CMT cameras everywhere, if ppl started to loiter they would be moved on pretty quickly.

So I am loitering if I squat down for a few minutes?

Na...I think its another reason, I juz can't figure it out.

There are absolutely no seats on the underground stations!!. What about the old people, pregnant women, the disabled, the infirmed......and me when I'm pooped.

What is that? there is plenty of room for a few seats. Once after a long walk in the heat I squated down on the platform and a security guard prodded me with his batton and indicated with it to stand up.

hazard to guess , one word

economics :o

hazard to guess , one word

economics :o

Yeah...I reckon its got to do with money too....seats too expensive perhaps?

I agree that generally with the frequency of trains, should not be needed. But they should have just one or two on each side. I have been travelling recently with a bung leg and it would have been nice to be able to sit down for a bit, particulalry when you dont get a seat on the train and HAVE to stand up.

If my leg is rather sore, i usually sit on the steps, when they come to razzle me, I show them me leg and ask them to sod off....politley of course...sod of nicely please.

a security guard prodded me with his batton and indicated with it to stand up.

Cheeky sod, I would have been having a word with him about that. :o

Agreed!

Also, but I also agree that seats are rarely needed as you usually only have to wait 1 minutes or so for a train.

loitering would hardly be a problem if the seats are placed beyond the barriers - 20B for a sit down is pretty steep for most Thais. Im sure with the amount of money spent on the bts and underground - a couple of benches at each station wouldnt affect the budget too much!