NLA insists there is no turning back on computer crime bill despite protests - Single Gateway ‘Still Necessary,’ Deputy PM Prawit says

webfact

59 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

VPN either will be banned or require registration with the government with sufficient detail to allow monitoring for content.

You're rather behind the times.  They've reportedly already purchased software which will break the encryption of VPNs.  No need to ban them.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, guess this means the idea of making Thailand an IT-Hub has been dropped? ... and what happened to Thailand raising to Singapore level by 2025?

Will never understand the point in totally destroying Thailands economy and real potential. Foreign Investment has already be chased away and now this too. Whats the point of ruining the countries economy and putting the country 30 years back in time?

Edited by khunpa

Well Thanks to all the a*s-hats that supported this lot, so ya happy fella's?  

You were told from day one they would postpone the elections and you said NO, NO, NO they won't they promised, and I beleive them coz hea a demorcratic junta leader remember fell's....  

And he would never impliment the gate way coz it would hurt the econemy to much  and now what???

Like I said A*S-hat's....!

VPN,, TOR,,? or just live close to a boarder that is a little less controling on information...

14 hours ago, baboon said:

They don't care. It won't affect their bottom line and besides, people have short memories and they will be banking on the fuss to die down as the country lurches into the next crisis.

They would rather be the Lords and masters of a squalid little tyranny than also rans in a prosperous nation where they would have to share.

"They would rather be Lords and masters of a squalid tyranny than also rans in a in a prosperous nation where they would have to share."

That is the truest, saddest and most poetic thing I have read on TVF.  But we still have to marvel at why there is, as yet, after 800 years of this, no "response" from the people.

4 minutes ago, George Graham said:

"They would rather be Lords and masters of a squalid tyranny than also rans in a in a prosperous nation where they would have to share."

That is the truest, saddest and most poetic thing I have read on TVF.  But we still have to marvel at why there is, as yet, after 800 years of this, no "response" from the people.

Much appreciated but to be fair, when they have tried to rise up they have been hanged from trees and beaten with folding chairs or simply gunned down. That is as far as I dare go on the matter.

8 hours ago, JAG said:

Frankly, I doubt that they have thought it through that far.

How far do you have to think to notice that there are some communications that you can't monitor (i.e. VPN)?  

5 hours ago, digibum said:

How far do you have to think to notice that there are some communications that you can't monitor (i.e. VPN)?  

Admittedly not far. But then that doesn't mean that they have!

Moreover, if as another poster claims, they have invested in a system which breaks a VPN,  then that is even more reason for foreign investors  to back off. If your company communications are not secure, and the government which may be reading them has intimate links with rivals ( Generals on boards of directors etc), then you probably won't be interested in operating here.

Edited by JAG

24 minutes ago, JAG said:

Moreover, if as another poster claims, they have invested in a system which breaks a VPN,  then that is even more reason for foreign investors  to back off. If your company communications are not secure, and the government which may be reading them has intimate links with rivals ( Generals on boards of directors etc), then you probably won't be interested in operating here.

It really depends on the type of firewall and my guess is that they would opt for the most intrusive sort.  

Some firewalls sit between you and the website and rather than just monitoring and controlling the flow of data, they actually hijack the communication and basically become a man in the middle.  So you think that you're connecting to a secure shopping site but really what is happening is that you are connecting to the firewall which creates an encrypted session and then the firewall communicates with the shopping site and creates an encrypted session.  That allows them to see all of the data in the clear.  

VPNs are tougher to crack.  Not impossible but much more difficult because a good VPN anticipates (and is designed, in theory, to defend against) a man in the middle attack on the session whereas regular web traffic is less secure.  

Of course, if you're talking about some quasi-VPN like those that let you watch Hulu in different countries, those are fairly easy to crack because they're not built for hard security.  They are mainly focused on making it appear that you are somewhere that you are not.  They're not too concerned with securing the connection.  

But a "real" VPN would have things like dual factor authentication, private keys, etc which make watching those communications much easier.  

And that is what a firewall would be on the lookout for.  If it wasn't able to sit between you and the target machine and act as a man in the middle it can flag or refuse the connection.  

57 minutes ago, JAG said:

BTW, here are some links to decent articles about China's firewall that you don't need to be a network engineer to understand :-)

How the “Great Firewall of China” Works to Censor China's Internet

China reinforces its 'Great Firewall' to prevent encryption - CNET

It is simply another way big brother little P. can flex his tiny muscles, and lord over his populace. It is all about censorship, control, and the fact that it holds the country back, inconveniences the people, and keeps Thailand in the technological dark ages, means nothing to this man, who does not employ an awful lot of reason and intelligence when it comes to policy. Moving the country forward? It does not appear to be the case. Keeping up with the neighboring countries? No, you are being left in the dust. Political science professors decades from now, will teach about how far you set your nation back. 

I don't see this getting too far.

The Anonynmous Group will probably intervene at some point and throw a spanner in the works.

If and when that happens, Somchai will have no recourse other than to put this on the back-burner.