Inside Aleppo – One photographer tells of the horror of the fall of the city

webfact

Inside Aleppo – One photographer tells of the horror of the fall of the city

Daleen Hassan

606x341_352393.jpg

ALEPPO: -- To gain more insight on the humanitarian situation on the ground in the city of Aleppo euronews contacted Salah al-Alashqar, a freelance photographer. He is now in the neighborhood of Seif al-Dawla, one eastern district shelled by Syrian regular forces.

Salah al-Alashqar:
“The situation in Aleppo is so bad and getting worse. The longer time passes, the more the suffering of civilians in besieged areas increases. The siege has been going on for 115 days so far in the areas still controlled by the Syrian armed opposition.

As a result of the entry of regime forces into the city and taking over control of a large section of the neighborhoods that were controlled by the opposition forces, there are many, many people crammed into a small area of about five neighborhoods.

The buildings and houses can no longer accommodate all the residents here. Now there are many families living in shops and streets, wherever they can. The weather is very cold now and rain is falling in addition to the shellfire which is almost constant over our heads

You can hear the noise of the fighting as I speak. The wounded can’t get appropriate treatment due to all the hospitals being bombed. Only one medical point where only first aid is available is operational. The seriously injured have nowhere to go, and these victims could join the fatalities list at any moment”.

Daleen Hassan :
“How many trapped people , fighters and civilians do you think there are?”

Salah al Alashkar :
“Well, according to Aleppo city council there are an estimated 75,000 people. I estimate around 15% of them are fighters”.

Daleen Hassan :
“In the evacuation process, will there be any guarantees given by the regime to ensure those people who were staying in opposition areas will not be persecuted?”

Salah al Alashkar :
“Well, I think that maybe there is a part of the agreement has not been announced yet. We cannot get out of the besieged areas with no guarantees, all the active medical staff and organizations working in Aleppo really need guarantees because most of them are wanted by the Syrian regime.

So far, we don’t have any confirmed information on who will be the guarantors. There are several leaks saying that there could be a Turkish organization to oversee the evacuation.

There are other leaks that say that the UN could control this process, also there is some information saying Russian troops will oversee the road between Aleppo and its surrounding countryside”.

Daleen Hassan :
“What do you expect in the coming days?”

Salah al Alashkar:
“To be honest with you and, without any exaggeration, women are afraid of the possible entry of the army and militias, they are afraid of gang rape, which has happened in some neighborhoods. Senior citizens fears being killed and younger men also fear arrest or execution”.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-15

“To be honest with you and, without any exaggeration, women are afraid of the possible entry of the army and militias, they are afraid of gang rape, which has happened in some neighborhoods. Senior citizens fears being killed and younger men also fear arrest or execution”.

And people wonder why they don't surrender....

War is hell always was and always will be. Sad stuff but it is what it is and there is nothing we can do to stop these people from killing each other.  We have proven that we can make it worse though. I do feel bad for the innocents and that includes fighters on all sides.

I am glad that the war has resolved itself in Aleppo. I don't like Assad and all he stands for, but it is the rebels that have caused all of the problems and now they have been pushed out, peace should return in Aleppo. Putin shows yet again that he is the most powerful and influential person in the world. He is very astute and extremely skillful when it comes to politics and strategy. On the world stage there is no one who comes even close. I am not surprised at his (86%) popularity ratings!! 

Gone are the days of "when America sneezes the world gets a cold"

Edited by lucky11

9 hours ago, Grubster said:

War is hell always was and always will be. Sad stuff but it is what it is and there is nothing we can do to stop these people from killing each other.  We have proven that we can make it worse though. I do feel bad for the innocents and that includes fighters on all sides.

It's not just them killing each other.  Many outsiders are involved also.  Russia has actually killed more civilians than ISIS has.  Iran is in there also.  What a mess.  If the first UN resolution had passed, things might not have gotten this bad.  Russia and China vetoed it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-isis-civilian-deaths-united-nations-syria-2016-8

Report: In less than a year, Russia has killed more civilians than ISIS

8 hours ago, lucky11 said:

I am glad that the war has resolved itself in Aleppo. I don't like Assad and all he stands for, but it is the rebels that have caused all of the problems and now they have been pushed out, peace should return in Aleppo. Putin shows yet again that he is the most powerful and influential person in the world. He is very astute and extremely skillful when it comes to politics and strategy. On the world stage there is no one who comes even close. I am not surprised at his (86%) popularity ratings!! 

Your anti-American stance blinds you to the reality of what's happening there.

9 hours ago, lucky11 said:

Assad was elected by the people with a 80% vote, the rebels are muslim extremist connected to Isis

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Your anti-American stance blinds you to the reality of what's happening there.

Where was I being anti-American? I know what's happening there - it is peaceful for a change!! I'm surprised that you don't support this - thanks should go to Putin for creating this situation!!

19 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

And your pro American stance blinds you. How do you, I or anyone know what is really going on, on the ground? You choose to believe certain news reports, other believe others? Not sure what makes you correct?

In addition how do you  back up your comment "Russia has actually killed more civilians than ISIS has" how in the World could you possibly know that?

You are absolutely right.  None of us knows what's happening on the ground.  We all rely on news reports.  Which are difficult as Assad has barred any reporters from the area.  I wonder why. :whistling:

As for the last statement, I can only post a link to an article I've read.

http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-isis-civilian-deaths-united-nations-syria-2016-8

A new report from a United Nations-sanctioned human rights group finds that Russian airstrikes have killed more Syrian civilians than ISIS.

Over a span of 305 days, beginning September 30, 2015 and lasting until July 31, 2016, Russia's campaign in Syria "has killed no less than 2,704 civilians including 746 children and 514 women."

By contrast, since ISIS emerged on April 9, 2013, the extremist terror group is responsible for the deaths of "no less than 2,686 civilians including 368 children."

If reporters were allowed in, we'd have much better info. 

5 hours ago, lucky11 said:

The US, hub of other peoples wars.

Oh, I see a peeve here, that prevents you from being objective.

I know the Assad family and how ruthless they are. The same father had 20,000 villagers massacred and if someone objects or simply raise their voice, they're gunned down.

Doesn't the fact that civilians are killed by tens of thousand in bombings "raise a flag", or maybe you don't want to see it was demonstrations at the earliest stage and the violent repression. Nothing to do with America, but maybe for you.

15 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It's not just them killing each other.  Many outsiders are involved also.  Russia has actually killed more civilians than ISIS has.  Iran is in there also.  What a mess.  If the first UN resolution had passed, things might not have gotten this bad.  Russia and China vetoed it.

So what could the UN do about it kill a bunch of Russians or Chinese? There is no answer to stop people from killing each other over religion or other reasons in their country. Do you have a solution to this?

15 hours ago, HooHaa said:

an interesting take on the situation. the woman is very well spoken

The journalist is an activist who is openly a supporter of the Assad regime. Within the first few minutes of her presentation she articulated some outright lies concerning the mistaken attack on Syrian militia by coalition air power. Another example of her misinformation attempts, there are others, below.

http://www.snopes.com/syrian-war-victims-are-being-recycled-and-al-quds-hospital-was-never-bombed/

No info whatsoever of Syrian forces and allies opening fire on evacuees, indiscriminate bombing etc etc etc The reporter is without shame in full support of the Assad regime. Usually I support UN efforts, but to permit this individual to sprout her pro Assad propaganda at UN offices is just appalling.

9 hours ago, Grubster said:

So what could the UN do about it kill a bunch of Russians or Chinese? There is no answer to stop people from killing each other over religion or other reasons in their country. Do you have a solution to this?

There are no easy answers, but one possibility was the first UN Security Council resolution, that China and Russia vetoed.  If it had gone through, things probably wouldn't have gotten this bad.  Too many players in Syria causing too much damage! LOL

:jap:

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

There are no easy answers, but one possibility was the first UN Security Council resolution, that China and Russia vetoed.  If it had gone through, things probably wouldn't have gotten this bad.  Too many players in Syria causing too much damage! LOL

:jap:

I'm sorry but I don't see how any resolution makes any difference to these people, do you really think they care what the UN thinks? I don't.

19 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I'm sorry but I don't see how any resolution makes any difference to these people, do you really think they care what the UN thinks? I don't.

Have you read the resolution?  If enacted, it would have definitely helped the people in Aleppo.  Guaranteed.

6 hours ago, simple1 said:

The journalist is an activist who is openly a supporter of the Assad regime. Within the first few minutes of her presentation she articulated some outright lies concerning the mistaken attack on Syrian militia by coalition air power. Another example of her misinformation attempts, there are others, below.

http://www.snopes.com/syrian-war-victims-are-being-recycled-and-al-quds-hospital-was-never-bombed/

No info whatsoever of Syrian forces and allies opening fire on evacuees, indiscriminate bombing etc etc etc The reporter is without shame in full support of the Assad regime. Usually I support UN efforts, but to permit this individual to sprout her pro Assad propaganda at UN offices is just appalling.

I beleive the word you were looking for is spout.

Edited by HooHaa

34 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Have you read the resolution?  If enacted, it would have definitely helped the people in Aleppo.  Guaranteed.

You use the word definitely very loosely.  Also there is a reason that Russia and China did not agree.  I'm sure they could come up with a version that the west wouldn't support too. We think we can dictate who cannot rule a country.  I think that is none of our business, they have a civil war to fight and we should stay out unless we feel the need to fight the Russians and/or the Chinese.  Maybe we will.  Then you will see a few dead bodies. Russia has a strong ally in Syria and they won't allow us to intervene any more than we would allow Russia to change leadership in Israel.

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

They have now surrendered so they have finally come to their senses.

Many would like to, but can't.  Due to problems with both sides in this battle.  Not sure the innocents there "finally came to their senses".  Hopefully, those bombing them have.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38339300

Syria Aleppo: Thousands wait as exodus from city halts

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

You use the word definitely very loosely.  Also there is a reason that Russia and China did not agree.  I'm sure they could come up with a version that the west wouldn't support too. We think we can dictate who cannot rule a country.  I think that is none of our business, they have a civil war to fight and we should stay out unless we feel the need to fight the Russians and/or the Chinese.  Maybe we will.  Then you will see a few dead bodies. Russia has a strong ally in Syria and they won't allow us to intervene any more than we would allow Russia to change leadership in Israel.

This has nothing to do with dictating.  Did you read the first resolution?  Or any of the others?  All vetoed by Russia and China. 

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This has nothing to do with dictating.  Did you read the first resolution?  Or any of the others?  All vetoed by Russia and China. 

Why did Russia and China oppose them? And what can we do about that?  

30 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Why did Russia and China oppose them? And what can we do about that?  

Russia is trying to protect their toe hold in the ME and keep the base they've got in Syria.  Plus, stop the gas pipeline to Europe that would have reduced their stranglehold on Europe.  Plus, Putin wanted to prove Russia is a super power again and needs to be payed attention to.  Sadly, no concern for the civilians there.

China has business interests there also, oil and gas stuff.  Not 100% sure why they killed the resolutions.

The US Security Council doesn't work.  Only one member needs to veto a bill and it's dead.  A worthless organization. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/23/russian-vetoes-putting-un-security-council-legitimacy-at-risk-says-us

Russian vetoes are putting UN security council's legitimacy at risk, says US

Exclusive: Warning over body’s failure to act on Syria and Ukraine comes on top of wider criticism of its structure and the permanent members’ veto rights

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Russia is trying to protect their toe hold in the ME and keep the base they've got in Syria.  Plus, stop the gas pipeline to Europe that would have reduced their stranglehold on Europe.  Plus, Putin wanted to prove Russia is a super power again and needs to be payed attention to.  Sadly, no concern for the civilians there.

China has business interests there also, oil and gas stuff.  Not 100% sure why they killed the resolutions.

The US Security Council doesn't work.  Only one member needs to veto a bill and it's dead.  A worthless organization. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/23/russian-vetoes-putting-un-security-council-legitimacy-at-risk-says-us

Yes Russia is and there is nothing short of more war that we can do about it that I can see. We have basses virtually next door to Russia, I can see their point of view.