30 day extension dramas

Heya guys. I posted this in a facebook group with many conflicting answers, so I will post it here as well in the hopes someone can clarify...

Today I went to the Korat immigration to do a 30 day extension on my tourist visa.

I have read a lot about this and it's supposed to be simple, and yet we got turned away because I didn't have the correct documents...

I had the completed form and passport photo and my passport, as well as a signed TM30 from my local police station to prove I have notified them about where I am staying.

The lady was a right bitch actually, I have no idea why, but she really grilled my girlfriend saying the owner of the house had to sign the TM30, even though the she is the renter they didn't care. She then went on to lecture my girlfriend not to argue with her, although she wasn't arguing with her, she just wanted to understand what the problem was...

This lady wouldn't even speak to me, everything went through my girlfriend, she wouldn't even look at my documents, just said I need to declare address first, my girlfriend said we already did this, and showed the TM30 which she promptly ignored.

She then said we need copies of the girlfriends ID and house book. The problem is the girlfriends ID does not show the rental address, because they can not get the house book for a rental property. Do we need to lie about the address we are living at to make the ID and the house book match the documents? The owner at the house book address would not mind if I did as I know them well. But it's like doing the correct thing by declaring the real address is less important than having the paper work match up... 

And, if that's the case, what's the point at all if they don't actually want to know where I'm staying...

In the end we just left and will go back next week and try to get someone more accommodating...

Has anyone else ever had this or a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Edited by firewight
typos lol

Some can be very unfriendly and are not willing to explain which papers you really need.
Think your approach is right, to try another day with another official.
Submit your documents, be submissive and smile.
I feel that the mood has deteriorated among many of the imigration officials.
Somehow everything much less "Sabai, Sabai" and "Mai pen rai".
Everyone is afraid to make a mistake. The officials now rather say "no",  than show a little flexibility.
Too bad for all.

• Like 1

Immigration in Bangkok do seem to be getting more intolerant. I went this week for my 90 day report and re-entry permit. The guy giving the queue tickets slammed both into my hand and they fell. I just smiled. The 90 day report guy shoed me away and grunted as I was saying thank you. I understand their job sucks, but foreigners don't make the rules. There are plenty of annoying foreigners in there that they can take their frustrations out on. Simply don't be short with the polite people. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, just thought I'd update this.

I went back to Korat Immigration yesterday. This time armed with a receipt from a hotel where I had paid for a room. I went alone, and things were so much easier, no girfriend to speak in thai to official people about things I dont understand and confuse the issues...

The hotel receipt was enough to prove where I was staying. I was in and out in about 45mins, no dramas at all.

A couple of things I have not seen mentioned here before that I will list that could make life easier for other newbs like myself who are new to this process.

1) There is a free standing table to the left as you walk in through the main entry door, take a seat here and an official will help you compile your documents, and check everything is ok before giving you a queue ticket number. If you are missing any paperwork he will help you with the correct documents, or let you know if you need copies of anything. The guy that was there spoke good english and communication was easy.

2) There is a copy service towards the rear entrance. I did not know this, and only found out by accident when I needed some copies. The guy only told me about this when I asked him directly where I could get copies made close by to Immigration. Copies don't cost a lot so have small notes/change with you.

I also needed copies of my departure card, and my hotel receipts, so best to take copies of absolutely everything, not just your passport and forms.

That's about it, no rocket science here, but perhaps this can help other new expats.

Cheers!

• Like 1