Customs clearance for motorcycle

aswer777

You're better off burying the Indian bike in a ditch and buying a brand new one in Thailand.  

There's hundreds of posts in dozens of threads on the subject.  You'll get more (useful) info from the search function than from a new thread.

13 hours ago, impulse said:

You're better off burying the Indian bike in a ditch and buying a brand new one in Thailand.  

There's hundreds of posts in dozens of threads on the subject.  You'll get more (useful) info from the search function than from a new thread.

Thanks for advice , but I would like to bring the motorcycle from India.

7 minutes ago, aswer777 said:

If the bike is registered in India you'd be better off selling it there or if your just going to be on a  holiday visit with the bike to Thailand you would get up to 30 days visa last l heard.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Good luck.  Your best info is probably post #29 from M1Tanker, plus the follow ons...

Took him about a year to do all the paperwork.

Still think M1 would of been better off selling the bike and buying a s/h one in Thailand.

Tried enquiring about wanting my Blade from UK to Thailand, aggro and cost wasn't worth it.

l bought a grey import big bike in Thailand like many did years ago tried to get a green book for it the cost and procedure was ridiculous to say the least.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Still think M1 would of been better off selling the bike and buying a s/h one in Thailand.

That's still my recommendation.  But in the interest of answering the question at hand...

In the way of an unsolicited observation:  I've lived in Asia now for 15 years, in China and Thailand and met hundreds of expats.  I can count on my fingers the percentage of guys that last beyond their first year, and the fingers on one hand in China.  Whenever I see a newcomer taking on an ambitious (and potentially frustrating) project that's going to last a significant while, I try to get them to just enjoy the adventure for the first year, and take those projects on after they've established some longevity, learned the ropes and figured out if they really need to do it their way.  There will be enough frustration just trying to figure out how to keep up with immigration requirements and where to pay the phone bill.  Guys who last the first year have a better chance of lasting the 2nd.  Guys who last the 5th year will have a higher chance of becoming permanent. 

6 hours ago, aswer777 said:

Many of us would have loved to bring our favorite steed from our country. But the reality is different to what you want to do. Take the advice and sell it or leave it in India. You can buy pretty much what you want here. Of course if you are a stubborn person, and you sound like you might be, then do what you want. But don't come crying on here when you have paid four times the value of your bike and there is still more to pay. What kind of bike is this thing you are in love with?

Madness! 

Unless the bike is packed full of 100% pure Columbian yahoo the cost will be ridiculous,  in fact even then you probably wouldn't break even! 

As a rule of thumb look for the bike for sale in Thailand,  brand new price,  I don't care how old it is,  they will look at the new price.  

Add the cost of shipping,  insurance and emissions tests,  to that figure add 284% that's about where it will be. 

Those are the minimum figures,  if it's a nice bike,  chances of seeing it again are minimal. 

If one of the customs or mafia guys likes it,  there will be 'issues' it will get lost,  the import will be 3,000, not 284%, paperwork will be missing. 

While you chase your tail trying to sort it out,  some toothless idiot will be c-r-u-s-i-n on your bike. 

You're getting good advice here,  take it and buy a bike here. 

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

Many of us would have loved to bring our favorite steed from our country. But the reality is different to what you want to do. Take the advice and sell it or leave it in India. You can buy pretty much what you want here. Of course if you are a stubborn person, and you sound like you might be, then do what you want. But don't come crying on here when you have paid four times the value of your bike and there is still more to pay. What kind of bike is this thing you are in love with?

You can bet it's a Royal Enfield.You can get them in Thailand,saw one yesterday.Even though they are double the price,compared to India,it would be cheaper and a lot less frustrating buy a brand newy here.

23 hours ago, impulse said:

I will give wider information. I want to make delivery of the Indian Royal Enfield motorcycles to Thailand. New already is on sale here, and there is no second-hand. There is a possibility of delivery. Only the customs clearance interests.

Ok.I will give wider information. I want to make delivery of the Indian Royal Enfield motorcycles to Thailand. New already is on sale here, but in Thailand have no second-hand. There is a possibility of delivery. Only the customs clearance interests.

Enfield1.jpg

Edited by aswer777

8 hours ago, impulse said:

In the way of an unsolicited observation:

Yes it was but in a round about way your right. You brought out the human having fun part and leave the frustration and headaches till later. Later you viewpoint might be more along the lines of what many other helpful posters have stated. Sell there buy here sounds good. Getting married here sounds a whole lot less complicated but then I have never been in love with a motorbike. Could be an interesting experience. I hear they really purrr and if you change the pipes they growl. 

Though I am sure you love the Enfield, there are many choices superior to that bike. I would guess that you want to tour around Thailand on it. A Japanese bike would be more reliable, and possibly more comfortable. But everybody is different, and one man's comfort could be another man's agony. If you come to Phuket there is a Thai guy here who sells used big bikes of many varieties. You can find him on Facebook under JoeMotoBike. He is honest and can probably find you something if he doesn't have it in stock as he has many contacts around the country. He can have it shipped from Bangkok or wherever. Good luck and safe riding. 

13 hours ago, aswer777 said:

Ok.I will give wider information. I want to make delivery of the Indian Royal Enfield motorcycles to Thailand. New already is on sale here, but in Thailand have no second-hand. There is a possibility of delivery. Only the customs clearance interests.

Enfield1.jpg

It appears now, from above wording, the poster is a dealer and trying to ship to Thailand as a commercial venture.  Not how his OP read.  :saai:

No second hand bike or car can legally be imported to Thailand. Buy a new and safe yourself a lot of hassle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

This was the only correct answer in this thread.

You need an import license from the Minister of transportation. They haven't issued any for the past 10 or so years.

Case closed.

19 hours ago, aswer777 said:

Get your hearing tested as you clearly aren't listening to the facts, or your eyesight as this is an internet forum.

I had to sell my beloved hornet 900 as it isn't possible to bring second hand bikes to Thailand.

8 hours ago, raro said:

You need an import license from the Minister of transportation. They haven't issued any for the past 10 or so years.

Case closed.

And yet, M1Tanker posted a few months ago exactly how he did it...  Post #29 here:

On 12/18/2016 at 11:13 AM, raro said:

Case closed.

Can still be done, customs guy recently told me for a considerable tea money fee I could bring in whatever I wanted, car or bike.

1 minute ago, raro said:

We're discussing here only the legal possibilities. Tea money is not one of them.

Fair enough, although you have to acknowledge that the legalities here are grey at best and even with clearly documented regulations, decisions are often made at the discretion of officials or your wallet...

3 minutes ago, raro said:

The regulations are very clear. There is a list of documents you need to present to customs. One of them is the import license from the ministry of transportation.

No grey area here.

OK, there's no grey area in Thailand, you win.

Hi Gentlemen.

While realising a previous police order banned the import of second-hand cars and motorbikes a couple of years ago, is there any scope for importing vintage motorbikes? Or is just  blanket rule with no other options?

I can see the logic in restricting "new" imports.....no problem with that.

I have a 1973 bike that I would love to ride in Thai.....any comments/thoughts welcome.

The same old sell  and buy new in Thai just doesn't  apply in this case .

I could possibly buy a similar bike in Thai...but those of us who really know motorbikes....i.e. pull down, rebuild  OUR bikes , etc etc will know this isn't the same.

If it can't be done thats cool...the Grandson will have a pretty good toy in 15 years.

Kev