thequietman

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Not sure what you are trying to say 

( argue & moan ) about what ? .

just about everything and anything  --  usually brought upon themselves due to their inability to enjoy the differences of living in Thailand....  ;)

28 minutes ago, faraday said:

Biggest problem I experience here, is the farangs that love to argue & moan.

:laugh:

Exactly and THAT is the reason many Thai won't work for them. They want everything done perfectly and although  they are often stupid enough to pay well above the going rate, they don't understand certain aspects of the Thai timeless culture. 

2 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Exactly and THAT is the reason many Thai won't work for them. They want everything done perfectly and although  they are often stupid enough to pay well above the going rate, they don't understand certain aspects of the Thai timeless culture. 

True many foreigners expect good work and are willing to pay for it. I went to the local shop and asked for a good painter. I told them I wanted quality and was less concerned about price. They called one for me (one that had a good reputation) He came to my home and gave an estimate and started at the day we agreed upon. Came with 5 guys did a great job (far better as expected)  and he said he liked to deliver quality. So not all 

Now my next plan is to get new sliding doors again I will be asking about quality because the old ones were crap, and I have seen much better ones available here. Its just a matter of finding the right people (not that that is easy) but they are available if you look hard. 

10 minutes ago, jpinx said:

just about everything and anything  --  usually brought upon themselves due to their inability to enjoy the differences of living in Thailand....  ;)

Come on.. quality is available.. if you look at some of the shopping centers and other buildings. They are done well.. same with bridges and other stuff. There are real good skilled Thai mechanics, just a matter of finding them. That is the hard part because good ones will always have a job. Its the same in the West the real good ones have waiting lists. 

Only problem here in Thailand is that the mechanics often change employees often (not always by choice) so a crew that was good before can be bad the next time if the leader is not really involved. 

On 12/18/2016 at 2:12 AM, cyberfarang said:

You have been in Thailand for 14 years and yet you still have no idea how the system works here.

In Thailand making appointments and expecting those providing a service or workers to keep to those appointments is a big mistake. We have a man who comes in and cuts down our garden once a month. My girlfriend just phones the man`s wife and tells her we want our garden done please. His wife says OK; I`ll tell my husband. Then, and only when the man is ready and feels up to doing the job, his wife phones and says he is on his way. Once the man is here he always does an excellent job and it`s been this way for years.  It was similar last year when we wanted some external electrical wiring put up outside. We called an electrician we know and he told us, I`ll let you know when I`m ready. 2 weeks later he turned up to complete the work. No problem as I have become used to this now.

This is how things work here, get used to it.

Well I had a guy come look at some brick work, I asked him for a price and when he could do it, he gave me a price and said it would be about two weeks before he could do it, I reluctantly agreed to wait that long as he seemed a nice man. Three weeks later she called him and he said it wasn't enough money. He gave us the price. She told him ok how much than and he said he didn't have time.

This is how things work here get used to it.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:15 AM, KittenKong said:

Do you think that Thais ever feel any remorse or guilt for anything? I dont.

Thais dont arrive on time or dont do what they say they will do because they simply dont care in the slightest about anyone other than themselves. They dont care that the person who they have promised to do the work for has arranged his schedule to ensure that the work can be done properly, or that he wants the work done by a specific date/time for a specific reason that is important to him.

This is exactly the same reason why they double-park in the middle of a busy road when there is an empty parking space 5 yards away, and why they drop litter everywhere, and why so many of them will scam and lie and cheat and generally disobey the law: they simply dont care how much inconvenience they may be causing to others, as long as what they do suits themselves.

"Do you think that Thais ever feel any remorse or guilt for anything? I don't."  as well as... "they simply dont care how much inconvenience they may be causing to others, as long as what they do suits themselves." AMEN....and I'm not religious!

This saving face thing is a national tragedy here. Kids can't ask questions, no one will say they don't know the directions you are asking for, they just make some up, mistakes don't get fixed as that would be admission that it was wrong, reporting a bad business in public is illegal, not to mention the content of this subject. They really need to fix this problem if they truly want to excel in the world.

The OP's making a mountain out of a molehill.

The fact of the matter is that, 95% of the time, when you book a tradesman, he will turn up to do the work.

He's baffled by what others have cynically - and somewhat predictably - called "Thainess" but I'm baffled by the typical farang's propensity to see an isolated incident as somehow being indicative of the mindset of the whole country.

When push comes to shove, his wife simply chose poorly.

Move on because there's jack shit to see here.

56 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Ok good  , I understand you .

lots of them get  ripped off not all but lots do .

so it is a OUT let for them , and I think it is great that they do because it can help the next  foreigner who comes here and reads forums like this .

so that is what this forum is all about helping out everyone.

Thai will say "yes" to everything. Thai will never do anything that is not "Sanook". Asked if they will do something they will always say "yes", actually doing the thing that was said "yes" too involves a compulsory "Sanookness".

57 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Ok you know it all .

you are joking are you not , I for one never ever had a problem with Thais working for me .

and if I pay not over the right price I want it done my way not the thai way .

On 18/12/2016 at 2:05 AM, Rc2702 said:

Sounds like he had another job on and did not want to lose the business so tried to string you along. sounds a bit more realistic than saying he did not want to do it but said yes anyway.

This is what most UK builders do all the time. As self-employed tradesmen, most have no idea of time management so they just say 'yes' to all work they are offered and then they cherry pick the most profitable work and let everyone else down.  It has become the norm for them to just lie to customers as a matter of course and they dont see anything wrong in doing it. If I can I do most work myself even though I am quite willing to pay for decent work to be carried out.  I just hate using them as it nearly always ends in an argument or a dispute.

On 18/12/2016 at 1:15 AM, KittenKong said:

Thais dont arrive on time or dont do what they say they will do because they simply dont care in the slightest about anyone other than themselves. They dont care that the person who they have promised to do the work for has arranged his schedule to ensure that the work can be done properly, or that he wants the work done by a specific date/time for a specific reason that is important to him.

This is exactly the same reason why they double-park in the middle of a busy road when there is an empty parking space 5 yards away, and why they drop litter everywhere, and why so many of them will scam and lie and cheat and generally disobey the law: they simply dont care how much inconvenience they may be causing to others, as long as what they do suits themselves.

There's two aspects to this - a lack of social education, starting from the example set by the top layers of society -- and farangs lack of understanding of the Buddhist mindset. 

Edited by jpinx

On 12/18/2016 at 8:15 AM, KittenKong said:

Yes, and also ride their motorbikes through an indoor market because they are too lazy to park their bikes outside and walk.

12 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Ok good  , I understand you .

lots of them get  ripped off not all but lots do .

so it is a OUT let for them , and I think it is great that they do because it can help the next  foreigner who comes here and reads forums like this .

so that is what this forum is all about helping out everyone.

The only addendum is that one needs to look at *why* people get "ripped off".  Lots of posting in here attest to the high quality of work when the person took some trouble to find decent labour -- same as would happen in any country.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:22 AM, Deepinthailand said:

Do you feel better now. You have just described most of the civilised world well done

Why do you have to be negative and sarcastic with your answers all the time? The poster has just made a valid point.

2 minutes ago, jpinx said:

The only addendum is that one needs to look at *why* people get "ripped off".  Lots of posting in here attest to the high quality of work when the person took some trouble to find decent labour -- same as would happen in any country.

RIPPED OFF BY THEY THAI WIFE OR GF 

not by  tradesmen .

23 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Live in the UK then let down all the time by so called trades. Everywhere you look there's fly tipping and the streets are filthy. Schools don't teach kids how to be clean nor do most patents so please stop the Thai this thai that really a well used  phrase if you really don't like the place you call home move to another home.

The "if you don't like it, go home" brigade strikes again.

OP been here 14 years - little less than me. About time you got on Thai time. Seems the problem lies with yourself - you want it done Right Now ! Chill Out. Will a day or two matter that much ?  If so, I suggest you build a small house on your property and hire someone to live there. Then they are always available. Me - takes a few days, or a week. BFD.