"I was reversing but the car went forward," says old boy as he plunges three stories.

rooster59

I once had a temporary office in a cabin at ground level. Vehicles parked outside facing my window. An employee went out to take a company car, a Toyota Landcruiser (original model), started, looked over his shoulder and lurched forward through the wall stopping in front of my desk with a horrified look on his face. The car was a three speed manual. He had shoved the gearstick left and forward (LHD) thinking it was reverse when in fact, it was first gear.........

i had a guy driving an old pickup truck back into my car at the toll gate busted my radiator ,he said the same thing he put it in forward gear but his truck went backwards,strange experience indeed ,after inspecting his truck the mechanic confirmed that his gearbox was indeed faulty.

10 hours ago, assayer said:

I'm also an "old boy" of 71 who has been driving since I was a young boy of 14. My preferred vehicle has been a Ford make for many years now. Just bought a new one here in Thailand last year and was driving along the 2nd. ring road when it actually shifted from drive to neutral on it's own. No i don't drink or take drugs either.

there was no 'bumping the shifter' out of gear to neutral???, at the right speed, no need for  clutch, happened to me at 120kph on Pattaya highway, was pushing in a USB cord, and bumped the shifter into neutral, slowed to crawl, stopped, and shifted into gear, continued on my way.

An old boy at 52?  Really?  Shall we all speculate on the age of the cub reporter responsible for this piece?  Any advances on 17?  

I remember with relish the American press eventually announcing the 30th birthday of the guy who wrote the book..... "Never trust anyone over 30."

I agree with the other posters who suggest an intoxicant or pharmaceutical compound (legal or illegal) was probably involved.

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Age 52 years IS old for a Thai person. I applied for a credit card and was knocked back because I was over 60. The banks must assume that anyone over 60 is mentally incapable of handling their financial affairs !

Heck!  Lots around where I live popping off in their 80's & 90's.  Mind you, most of them have never had a driving licence.

Way  I  see it  is,,  the  old  boy  got  a  new  car.  Looked  back, put in  drive,

hit  the  gas,  then panicked and  wouza  over the  edge  he  went.  Oops,  now

I  gots  to  say ,  Car  is  to  blame!  sure  could  not  be me.

Geezer

On 18/12/2016 at 8:41 AM, madmitch said:

I once had a brand new car which had a dodgy gearbox. After a few days I put it into first gear and the car went into reverse. Second became first. I had to drive it like this until it was fixed and what was worse was that it would suddenly revert to normal so I'd be in fist gear ready to go backwards and I'd move forwards! Scary.

So I do know that the story could be true though in all honesty I doubt it! I realised my problem straight away and braked. Maybe reaction times for an ancient old boy of 52 are not so swift!

Haha well there's slow reactions and then there's 'The car piled into two other vehicles before smashing through the railing and ending up on its roof on the ground.'