And another snake ID

1FinickyOne

1 minute ago, Gumballl said:

Another clear example of kill now, ask questions later.  Bravo!

Another hero snake handler, probably haven't been any closer than standing outside the glass snake enclosure at the zoo praying they don't escape. 

3 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Another clear example of kill now, ask questions later.  Bravo!

Snakes can be poisonous and deadly... by the time I do any research the snake will undoubtedly be gone... I have dogs and 2 year old infants and elderly people living with me in a family compound... I do not kill for my amusement... I kill to protect my family.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. 

ignorance  strikes  again:sad: spend  an hour  reading a  snake  guide many on  the  net this is   a very  common snake, also a  RAT  snake  which is  much  bigge r will scare the <deleted> out of you but is pretty harmless also, had an 8  footer  by my  door  a  month ago, as  soon as I opened the door and it saw  me it was  gone  like a cruise  missile heres  some  more very  common harmless snakes 

You can see many more here, all of these  have been on m y land and also a  rather not so nice Malay Pit  Viper ( 5-6 so far in the last 3  years) 

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/thailand-snake-notes/most-common-snakes/

golden-tree-snake720o.jpg

images.jpg

download.jpg

Pytas-mucosus-Bob-Burgess-permissioned.jpg

snake one.jpg

Edited by kannot

6 hours ago, Rob13 said:

IMHO, it pays to know the good snakes from the bad ones. Some of the good ones keep the bad ones away.

dont  think any snakes are really  bad ie  will hunt "you" down ( dangerous with venom that could  kill yes) but the Malay  Pit  Viper  stands out as it  simply  refuses to  move and just sits  still until you tread on it + they are hard to spot in leaves etc, then it  bites, this can be a problem, most  simply get away as fast as they can

I  have great fun feeding the kukri snakes the jing  joks here as those  bloody things crap everywhere, just drop one in front of them and its  gone in seconds

Edited by kannot

18 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Snakes can be poisonous and deadly... by the time I do any research the snake will undoubtedly be gone... I have dogs and 2 year old infants and elderly people living with me in a family compound... I do not kill for my amusement... I kill to protect my family.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. 

tip........do  the  research  first

9 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Thank you for your help - - it is a learning process for me. 

How long have you been using this particular method of "learning"?

Have you perused some snake websites?  It's not that difficult to become familiar with some of the more common snakes (and other critters) you might encounter.   It's almost as useful as learning some Thai.   No need to be a wannabe Jungle Jim, but no need to be smashing every snake you see either. 

26 minutes ago, kannot said:

dont  think any snakes are really  bad ie  will hunt "you" down

The bad ones are the  poisonous ones who set up house in your yard and get territorial about it. Rattlesnakes and copperheads back home get pretty testy if you get too close.  I've known a few who've been bit. I get out my whomping stick when I see one.

4 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

The bad ones are the  poisonous ones who set up house in your yard and get territorial about it. Rattlesnakes and copperheads back home get pretty testy if you get too close.  I've known a few who've been bit. I get out my whomping stick when I see one.

The best weapon is about 1.5 / 2 m of 20/25 mm of power cable beats a stick .

35 minutes ago, kannot said:

dont  think any snakes are really  bad ie  will hunt "you" down ( dangerous with venom that could  kill yes) but the Malay  Pit  Viper  stands out as it  simply  refuses to  move and just sits  still until you tread on it + they are hard to spot in leaves etc, then it  bites, this can be a problem, most  simply get away as fast as they can

I  have great fun feeding the kukri snakes the jing  joks here as those  bloody things crap everywhere, just drop one in front of them and its  gone in seconds

The  Banded Krait is another that does not move out of the way and even more venomous than the Pit Viper.

Had a Sunbeam snake in the garden the other day. it was hiding out under pile of leaves the former owner hadn't bothered to tidy. Beautiful.   

29 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The  Banded Krait is another that does not move out of the way and even more venomous than the Pit Viper.

Had a Sunbeam snake in the garden the other day. it was hiding out under pile of leaves the former owner hadn't bothered to tidy. Beautiful.   

I saw one  not far from here a  few  years back they really are  irridescent.

39 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Tha  Thai copperhead is  absolutely  nothing like the Aemrican ones in anyway

download.jpg<<

Heh heh, had one of these guys in my front fish pond off the kitchen patio.  Swung one foot in to go clean out leaves, looked down before swinging the other in and, jeez, there it was under the water. :shock1:  Got him out with my trusty fish net and let him go in a nearby field klong. 

snake1jpg.jpgsnake2.jpg

I wasn't aware until just now, these resemble the Banded Malaysian Coral Snake. 

http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/striped_kukri_snake.htm