Marriage and divorce to a Thai lady.

TomCL

I live in the UK and have been with the same Thai lady for 4 years. She wants me to marry her but I'm a little worried that she could divorce me for half of what I have. I am not rich and my house is only worth about £80,000.

Is this possible for her to do even though we have no children together?

Edited by Tom C.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nationality of being a Thai lady would be irrelevant.

Your enquiries need to be within the UK focusing on pre-nuptial agreements and de-facto separation if you decide against getting hitched, simple search produces UK articles like the following, do some initial research then use a solicitor if required.

https://www.family-lawfirm.co.uk/how-we-help/other/prenuptial-agreements

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/dividing-the-family-home-and-mortgage-during-separation#understanding-how-the-home-can-be-divided 

Pre-nuptial agreements are very common here in Thailand and must be registered at the same time as the marriage and must be made in Thai and English language. I had one prepared by a very competent firm called Kingdom Law Group here in Bangkok. If you want peace of mind have it done, I did.

If your been living with her in the UK for most of those 4 years she already would be able to stake a claim.

If you dont trust dont marry or move them in.

Women in general are looking for and want security, if she's in Thailand unless she's young and hot you should be able to come up with plenty of good sounding excuses to keep the status quo, i was able to show how detrimental marrying a former TGF would be once i retired on an AU pension she being an accountant with a MD was smart enough to "get it" in the end it didn't work out like it hasn't with a couple of others, so the moral of the story is to keep your head stick to your guns and dont give in, your TGF can be exchanged, upgraded replaced....very easy ....control your heart and let your big head do the thinking...

5 minutes ago, Thaimike370 said:

Only 50% you're joking.  Try 100%.  I have seen it happen so often in my eight years here.  Only invest what you can afford to lose and walk away from.

Only invest what your prepared to loose or walk away from in Thailand ......thats such a worn out cop out thats been circulating in here since day one....cant we get more original the that?

Edited by AlexRRR

56 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

The old gal been with you for 4 years, how long do you think you are going to milk the cow for free,  Four years with you don;t you think she deserves something?

It's views like this that disgust me. 

So being with someone means you deserve something? 

<deleted> is wrong with you? 

35 minutes ago, Thaimike370 said:

Only 50% you're joking.  Try 100%.  I have seen it happen so often in my eight years here.  Only invest what you can afford to lose and walk away from.

Not even close.

He lives in the UK.

She could take him for child support (they always want kids) and alimony, extracting a large amount of his future income. Once that is secure, she could move back to Thailand and Enjoy the Life at his expence.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

The old gal been with you for 4 years, how long do you think you are going to milk the cow for free,  Four years with you don;t you think she deserves something?

How stupid is that to say , why dose she deserves something , bs , did she work for it no let her go and work and make her own home and money.

46 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

If your been living with her in the UK for most of those 4 years she already would be able to stake a claim.

If you dont trust dont marry or move them in.

Women in general are looking for and want security, if she's in Thailand unless she's young and hot you should be able to come up with plenty of good sounding excuses to keep the status quo, i was able to show how detrimental marrying a former TGF would be once i retired on an AU pension she being an accountant with a MD was smart enough to "get it" in the end it didn't work out like it hasn't with a couple of others, so the moral of the story is to keep your head stick to your guns and dont give in, your TGF can be exchanged, upgraded replaced....very easy ....control your heart and let your big head do the thinking...

Yes yes yes yes how good is it to read stories from blokes like you on here with a  Brain .

Edited by georgemandm
Spelling

Living in the UK I would certainly NOT get married unless a pre-nup was done,madness sorry in todays climate of where the "wife" gets virtually everything of what you have now and any future pension entitlements....be warned :saai:

19 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

How stupid is that to say , why dose she deserves something , bs , did she work for it no let her go and work and make her own home and money.

The OP has not stated one way or the other if he currently looks after his GF financially or helps her so why is everyone jumping to conclusions? Prejudged Bias is an evil trait IMHO.

He sounds like he is worried about losing his house or share of it and possible share of income and asked a genuine question.

Edited by stament

13 minutes ago, stament said:

The OP has not stated one way or the other if he currently looks after his GF financially or helps her so why is everyone jumping to conclusions? Prejudged Bias is an evil trait IMHO.

He sounds like he is worried about losing his house or share of it and possible share of income and asked a genuine question.

Ok how dose she live with money off a tree, no she is working or he takes care of her no need to be smart to work that out .

i would be worried as well if I was him.

the trouble is my country Australia has those English stupid laws as well thanks to you lot .

As usual, the TVF members with the most inflated sense of their own piffling net worth are the most vocal.

Can't say for sure because I don't know the OP's girlfriend but I think that if she was money motivated, she would have done some research and realised that a GBP80,000 house in the UK of all places is a miserably poor reward for tethering herself to a man for 4 years if she only saw him as nothing more than a meal ticket.

80k (THB3.5m) might be a decent payoff in Thailand but it's pigeon feed in the UK.

Just now, georgemandm said:

Ok how dose she live with money off a tree, no she is working or he takes care of her no need to be smart to work that out .

i would be worried as well if I was him.

the trouble is my country Australia has those English stupid laws as well thanks to you lot .

Who know the OP didnt say, perhaps she has a job for all we know.  The point is we dont know as he hasnt said so why assume things without facts?

If was you I would be worried! ?