Need to change Honda Civic Timing Belt in Pattaya

samsingsong

My Civic has only done 50,000k but is now over 10 years old. I've been strongly advised to get the Timing Belt changed due to it's age.

I plan to take the car to the newer Honda garage in Pattaya on Sukhamvit out towards Bang Sare. I just want to make sure they understand to change the right part!

Does anybody know the Thai word for Timing Belt? Or will they understand in English?

There used to be a company called Expat Motors who had a website with a useful page which had a translation of many car parts into Thai, but I can't find that now!

Thanks to you both for your fast replies and that really helps a lot.

It's my fault of course for not learning enough Thai. When explaining something you never really know if they understand what you mean. They might say " Yes, yes  I understand" and then change a fan belt or something!

I've had some bizarre misunderstandings when renovating a condo......

Edited by samsingsong

Don't know how handy you are as a mechanic but with the new rubber compound belts there is an easy way to DIY if you're confident and have easy acces to the belt.

Get a very sharp blade and carefully cut the belt in two around its length while turning the engine by hand.

Slip off the front section of the old belt and get the new one pushed on, when half of the width is on you can cut through the remaining other half and push the new belt fully on.

Done slowly and carefully you don't lose the timing.

Edited by overherebc

Don't know how handy you are as a mechanic but the new rubber compound belts there is an easy way to DIY if you're confident and have easy acces to the belt.

Get a very sharp blade and carefully cut the belt in two around its length while turning the engine by hand.

Slip off the front section of the belt and get the new one pushed on, when have of the width is on you can cut through the remaining other half and push the new belt fully on.

Done slowly and carefully you don't lose the timing.

I have never used the place but have a couple of good reports about it. If you can picture the junction of the motorway and the main 36 from Rayong. When you arrive at the junction coming from Rayong direction and use the exit road as though you were heading for Patts there is a place on the left before you reach the actual motorway thats called Europe Cars or Expat Cars or something like that. Might be worth a look.

Edited by overherebc

I don't understand you want to use an independent mechanic for that job? If's done wrongly it can damage the engine badly and what consumer protection do you have from a small garage?

I will get it done at a Honda dealership if I was in your shoes and they also uses original spare-parts.

28 minutes ago, BSJ said:

Why not have a look at it yourself.  If it has no cracks in the belt and isn't chewed up it should be good for 100000km.

All Well and Good - if the engine in question is not an 'Interference Fit' by which I mean that when the belt breaks the pistons hit the now stationery valves. Some are, some are not.

I have it booked into Honda to change the timing belt. It costs a little under 6,000 Baht which I think is a good price.

However, there are a few things that they found wrong at the last service that I'd like a second opinion on.

The one that concerns me most is something to do with the steering - but frankly I just don't understand what it is! Described as KNUCKLE COMP. R. FR  and L.FR.

Also 'Steering gear components' Rubber Boot set. The quote for these repairs is nearly 18,000 Baht.

The car has only done just short of 50,000K's, has been well maintained and still drives 'tight' - like a new car.

It seems hard to believe I really need to spend 18,000 Bhat on it?

I guess that to replace the Boot set, the boots would be cheap but maybe a lot of time?

The 'KNUCKLE COMP. R. FR  and L.FR. ' I don't know what's involved in that?

Any advice appreciated!

18K for CV boots is tad expensive!  I've got a 4 wheel drive pick-up which needed one boot replaced.  The auto parts store in Phi Chit charged 168 baht for a pair, inner and outer,  and the garage in Sak Lek charged me 200 baht for grease and fitting.

If I were you I'd get a second opinion before laying out 18k!

I have it booked into Honda to change the timing belt. It costs a little under 6,000 Baht which I think is a good price.
However, there are a few things that they found wrong at the last service that I'd like a second opinion on.
The one that concerns me most is something to do with the steering - but frankly I just don't understand what it is! Described as KNUCKLE COMP. R. FR  and L.FR.
Also 'Steering gear components' Rubber Boot set. The quote for these repairs is nearly 18,000 Baht.
The car has only done just short of 50,000K's, has been well maintained and still drives 'tight' - like a new car.
It seems hard to believe I really need to spend 18,000 Bhat on it?
I guess that to replace the Boot set, the boots would be cheap but maybe a lot of time?
The 'KNUCKLE COMP. R. FR  and L.FR. ' I don't know what's involved in that?
Any advice appreciated!

Timing belt get done at the main dealer.

CV boots can be done anywhere .

Have a look yourself.

If cracked the grease leaks leaving a dry joint not long will start knocking then you gotta replace the CV joint.

Put wheels on full lock and if knocking got to be replaced.

1482798861515.jpg.71f1e432b375f26479cdb1

For starters a Civic that age with low kilos taking it to a Honda main is going to be high costs in any case even a standard service. 

l would definitely go to a Cockpit or B quick outlet and just get it checked out first.

Knowing when to replace your timing belt will depend on the year model of your vehicle. Honda Civic models between the years 1996 – 2000 have a recommended timing belt replacement of 105,000 miles or 7 years. 2001 – 2005 Civics have a recommended replacement at 110,000 miles or 7 years. Civics, 2006 and newer don’t have a belt, they come with a timing chain, and does not need to be replaced.

For replacing the CV joint there is a high and low cost factor but with only 50k kilos should be nowhere near 18k bht. 

36 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Tire Plus is the best place for drive train stuff if its a Honda, i think there is some Family connections there. and its done fast by men, and not  tire fitting kids like the others call mechanics

Is there a Tire Plus in Pattaya? I've Googled it but the results aren't helpful.

Thanks for all the other advice. It seems to agree with my thoughts (re. costs etc.).

overherebc - It's not that I lack confidence! In my youth I did all my own car work (no money!).

I have re-built an engine, fitted a new chain in a Saab auto gearbox, plus all the usual servicing, brake overhauls etc. Now with arthritis in spine, hips, elbows, knees etc., if I get under a car I can't get out again! So I can't even get to see the problem for myself. I have to rely on a mechanic sadly.

1 hour ago, samsingsong said:

Is there a Tire Plus in Pattaya? I've Googled it but the results aren't helpful.

Thanks for all the other advice. It seems to agree with my thoughts (re. costs etc.).

overherebc - It's not that I lack confidence! In my youth I did all my own car work (no money!).

I have re-built an engine, fitted a new chain in a Saab auto gearbox, plus all the usual servicing, brake overhauls etc. Now with arthritis in spine, hips, elbows, knees etc., if I get under a car I can't get out again! So I can't even get to see the problem for myself. I have to rely on a mechanic sadly.

Join the club.??.

I have the usual back problem and like you I can get under the car and get out from underneath, but.

I have actually called my wife on the mobile to come out of the house to get me back on my feet. ?????