PayPal now automatically converting USD payments into THB?

I have two currencies supported in my PayPal account, USD and THB. USD payments used to be automatically added to my USD balance, and THB payments to my THB balance. Now, when people send USD payments, I receive email notifications that I have received XXX THB rather than XXX USD. This has happened for the three most recent USD payments. Anyone else experienced this and know how to change it back to the old system? I have contacted PayPal - no reply.

Edited by a1falang

eBay is full of scams. Be very careful. If you win or buy an item and the seller does not send it, AND you pay w PP, you can get reimbursed. That's a real pain and takes time in Thailand as the bank waits to verify payment. eBay is not what it once was....

Edited by miamiman123
Correct

Transactions are still in USD, it is just the notifications that are sent in the currency where your IP address is, automatically. I am so tired of having to change the language to English from Thai every time I login.....

Edited by AlQaholic

Because PayPal is regionalised it is difficult to maintain two accounts. For example, if I want to buy something in Australia I want to pay in Australian dollars. However, I can't open a PayPal account in Australia unless I have an Australian mobile. So everything gets converted to Baht using PayPal's exchange rate which is not very competitive.

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

If there is a buck to be made PayPal will be there. I just love when they "estimate" the customs duties, shipping and add them to your bill. 

Yep! They will probably  be charging a %age conversion fee on top of their lousy exchange rate. I caught them being downright dishonest years ago and have never trusted them since. Their service is very convenient, especially for international transactions, but if u change the payment method in your favour, which u can do, it will still return to their default settings for future transactions where they make the most profit.

3 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

eBay is full of scams. Be very careful. If you win or buy an item and the seller does not send it, AND you pay w PP, you can get reimbursed. That's a real pain and takes time in Thailand as the bank waits to verify payment. eBay is not what it once was....

I have had no problem in getting a refund from Ebay/PayPal over the years when a item I bought never showed up.   Probably done it around a half dozen times with around 300 buys.   Now you "must" submit the refund request within the required window to be successful.

also when you get a no show  (lost in transit etc)   and get in touch as advised with the seller

do not close the case until you either receive  a refund actually in your account  or you get the item   if you do your rights to money   are completely finished    quite a few sellers will send you an e mail  saying how sorry they are etc etc    don't be duped  they either have not dispatched the goods in the first place  hoping  you will give up  and close especially with low ticket items 

the email will quite often    say how bad it is for their company  if you do not close      keep any claim open   buyer beware .   Getting back to pay pal no problems there  always get a refund exact amount of purchase +postage in the currency i originally  paid in my case THAI BHT

My last refund from PayPal was less than a month ago for an item I bought from a Ebayer in mainland China.  I bought the item, and it showed up approx 2 weeks later (China to Bangkok).  However, it was broken due to poor packaging.  I emailed the seller with pictures.  Said I wanted a refund or replacement, preferably refund.  He responded within a day saying he would send a replacement....he would send the placement but asked me to close the case.  I did close the case since he had a very high rating on Ebay from thousands of sells and the first item he sent did arrive within two weeks...got here fast.  

Well, over a month later and no replacement has arrived.  I contacted the seller again (but not opening a Ebay case this time) and said I wanted a "refund"....did not want him to ship another replacement.  But he still offers to send another replacement but by a better/more reliable shipper.  I refuse and said I want a refund....I've waited too long.  He doesn't respond or provide a refund after 3 days....I contact him again....after 3 more days of no response/refund I file a claim directly with PayPal versus using the Ebay site.  I went directly to PayPal because since I closed the case based on "faith" in the seller actually shipping me a replacement since he had a high rating and I got the first item in two weeks.  After two days I got a full refund from the seller and not one of those refund where PayPal just decides for you because of seller non response.  

Yeap, knock on wood (my head), but I've never had a problem in getting a refund from Ebay/PayPal.   But based on this latest experience I will never close a case until I have rec'd a replacement or it's automatically closed due to a refund.  Only one time has  a seller failed to actually ship a replacement and I truly believe this seller did try to scam me in never shipping a replacement although "he said" he did, but with no tracking number (it was a low cost item)....nor would have he had shipped a replacement for the replacement he said he mailed earlier.   He was probably hoping to drag things out long enough to where I couldn't file another claim via Ebay/PayPal

14 hours ago, Pib said:

I have had no problem in getting a refund from Ebay/PayPal over the years when a item I bought never showed up.   Probably done it around a half dozen times with around 300 buys.   Now you "must" submit the refund request within the required window to be successful.

Same here. Just threatening to escalate an eBay non delivery claim to PayPal has been enough to get a refund. Same goes for Lazada.

I'll only use PayPal and never give away my CC details to anyone else.

16 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I am so tired of having to change the language to English from Thai every time I login.....

never have a problem with this. English all the way... I use

and firefox has my account name and password already entered ready for me to click "Log In". Before you ask it is a thai account.

I am paid in US$ from my employer and always have a choice of currency when I send it off elsewhere, this being my Thai wife in Thai baht.
Have had no problems, except their conversion rates are about a baht less than what is posted on the Internet like XE Currency converter.

Perhaps I've been lucky so far?