British tourist has safe stolen from Pattaya guesthouse

webfact

British tourist has safe stolen from Pattaya guesthouse

By Digital Admin -

brit-loses-sixty-thousand-2.jpg?fit=639,

PATTAYA: -- At 2am, on the morning of December 21, Pattaya police received reports of a robbery at the Sweetheart Bar Guesthouse on Soi Buakao in the center of Pattaya.

In a room on the second floor Mr Graham Robinson, a fifty-seven year old British tourist, complained that he had been out for dinner and when he returned, three hours later, the room safe was missing, along with his Bht 64,000 holiday spending money.

Officers will review CCTV footage and are convinced the suspect must be close to the area or it could even have been an ‘inside job.’

Report by Pattaya One News Team

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/british-tourist-safe-stolen-pattaya-guesthouse/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-12-21

Never trusted using one unless i could see it was properly bolted into concrete. Checked into a Bkk hotel once and asked if the room had a safe. About a minute after getting into the room there was a knock at the door and a thin old thai women weighing no more than 45 kgs had a small safe in her arms and plonked into the wardrobe! The only use i got from it was it made me smile.

15 minutes ago, sn1per said:

This should be interesting, by the end of this thread it's surely going to be his fault for bringing cash and being so stupid for leaving it in the safe..... hang him 

I doubt it.We've all used safes before with minimal major issues.

The only criticism maybe .....don't put all your eggs in one basket.......cash/card/money in locked suitcase

6 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

Never trusted using one unless i could see it was properly bolted into concrete. Checked into a Bkk hotel once and asked if the room had a safe. About a minute after getting into the room there was a knock at the door and a thin old thai women weighing no more than 45 kgs had a small safe in her arms and plonked into the wardrobe! The only use i got from it was it made me smile.

I've stayed in a couple 4* hotels where the safe was just sitting on a shelf. Even when I was in the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital overnight (from a shoulder operation) the safe wasn't secured in the room. I hid my passport and wallet elsewhere in the room because I figured if anyone was going to snoop, the safe would be the first place they'd try.

Not to mention that with those electronic safes there is usually a "master code" so they can open them if a guest forgets their combo (or leaves it locked when they check out). No doubt almost everyone in the hotel knows what the code is. (The hotel is supposed to change the default "master code" the manufacturer has set but I'd have a hard time believing they'd bother and even if they did, whatever code they changed it to would become common knowledge within hours.)

Then again, we've had stories about people locking their stuff in the lock-boxes at the front desk of some places and having them robbed as well. More likely to happen in the lower end establishments. Always makes me nervous if I'm travelling with my laptop, camera, passport, etc. It's either carry it all with me or risk it being swiped when I'm out of the room.

Thinking, thinking about what to learn from that?

-> I will book again at that same 3-star hotel with proper security, same staff since years.

Properly fixed room safes.

And NOT everyone knows the master code there.

You have no other choice than find a place that you can trust.

If any stranger can get right to your room (door) you are lost.

Technically I like hotels with both options, room safe and a guarded safe behind reception.

I once had no other choice then checking in to another place on Soi Buakhao.

I had problems with safe just after I had used it first time.

Calling reception.

Who came in? The fairly drunken bell boy from the car park guard (!). Typed the master code and here we are. Not a nice idea.

Many years ago at a reputable hotel on beach rd. one of the managers had to be called, big hotel safe be opened for the mechanical key, individual to the safe. Not a bell boy job.

Most (or all) electronic room safes have a mechanical key too.

The lock is hidden behind some removable cover.

5 hours ago, zombie nights said:

Any reputable hotel/guest house would have insurance to cover theft and hence able to compensate the guest . Even without insurance the guest house ought to reimburse the guest.

Either way in Pattaya no one will have insurance and the unlucky victim can say good bye to his holiday money.

I'm wondering how they'd determine whether he actually had 64,000 baht stolen.   Because if they paid out his claim, there would be a stampede of people being burglarized of even larger amounts.

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, saakura said:

Nobody is talking about an insurance scam, how & why he could have left so much cash in a hotel room etc

what do you mean "so much" - they are talking about a trifle 60k THB. "Much" is anything north of a million

18 hours ago, zombie nights said:

Any reputable hotel/guest house would have insurance to cover theft and hence able to compensate the guest . Even without insurance the guest house ought to reimburse the guest.

Either way in Pattaya no one will have insurance and the unlucky victim can say good bye to his holiday money.

Where could you get insurance to cover the loss of cash?

12 minutes ago, thurien said:

what do you mean "so much" - they are talking about a trifle 60k THB. "Much" is anything north of a million

Ridiculous comment, of course it's a lot to have stolen. It's enough spending money for a month in Thailand. I am guessing you are just trying to impress with how little it is to you,, doesn't work. The rich people I know would also be pissed off.

8 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

So out of all the safes in the Guest House, they picked the one with the big cash prize...emmmmm

How do you there wasn't more in other rooms........I've had $5000 australian in my safes!

but as has been previously stated.......some places you get that trusting feeling and others you don't.

It's a combination of luck,good security and observance