British tourist has safe stolen from Pattaya guesthouse

webfact

Micky mouse safes are always small and portable.you can even hide them.in ladies fabric bag.However in this case am sure the job was carried out by his gf aided by member of staff and don't be surprised when police announces that cctv system was out of order?

15 hours ago, saakura said:

Nobody is talking about an insurance scam, how & why he could have left so much cash in a hotel room etc?? Oh forgot, he is not an Indian like in the other story going around today!!

I am always surprised to read such comments. What else should he do? Carry it with him while he is out drinking and risk being mugged or losing it?  And it is not so much cash if he has come to stay in Thailand for a month or so.  His mistake appears to have been to trust the safe or not check it was secured well.

Alternatives are fewer these days, Travelers Cheques are less common, and he may prefer to keep the cash out of a UK account with an ATM. Exchange rates for cash are actually better.

I have used a lot of hotel safes over the years and my only issue has been with behind reception lock-boxes.

Edited by jacko45k

16 hours ago, saakura said:

Nobody is talking about an insurance scam, how & why he could have left so much cash in a hotel room etc?? Oh forgot, he is not an Indian like in the other story going around today!!

What would you suggest?

Better to carry it with him all the time around Soi Buakhao and then get mugged!!!

2 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

What would you suggest?

Better to carry it with him all the time around Soi Buakhao and then get mugged!!!

How about a listing of all the recent muggings on Soi Buakhao? Inquiring minds want to know.

20 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I've stayed in a couple 4* hotels where the safe was just sitting on a shelf. Even when I was in the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital overnight (from a shoulder operation) the safe wasn't secured in the room. I hid my passport and wallet elsewhere in the room because I figured if anyone was going to snoop, the safe would be the first place they'd try.

Not to mention that with those electronic safes there is usually a "master code" so they can open them if a guest forgets their combo (or leaves it locked when they check out). No doubt almost everyone in the hotel knows what the code is. (The hotel is supposed to change the default "master code" the manufacturer has set but I'd have a hard time believing they'd bother and even if they did, whatever code they changed it to would become common knowledge within hours.)

Then again, we've had stories about people locking their stuff in the lock-boxes at the front desk of some places and having them robbed as well. More likely to happen in the lower end establishments. Always makes me nervous if I'm travelling with my laptop, camera, passport, etc. It's either carry it all with me or risk it being swiped when I'm out of the room.

I agree with all, however I leave coinage on the bedside cabinet and notes in the safe but only small amounts . This I believe will make any hotel employee think that is all all the cash that is available . I explain to the room maid that she can take any coinage left on the cabinet when she services the room . The bulk of cash is hidden in several places within the room / suitcase  . BTW my room is always serviced very well for the sake of a few Baht and one time I was given a free massage by the maid   :smile: 

i never use hotel safes.  and i rarely have more than 40,000thb/1000usd (use ATMs).  i split the money up and hide it in my clothes.  cache A goes to pant pocket, cache B goes to a sock, and cache C goes to toiletry bag, etc...  one time i hid it in my swim suit pocket (velcro to close pocket).  and then buick the idiot went swimming with the money in the pocket !!!  too many dives in the pool opened up the velcro and next thing i knew there were a few 100usd notes floating in the pool.  i did get them back but not hiding them there any more.

ps.  a friend of mine hides his cash under the mini fridge. 

On 12/21/2016 at 0:03 PM, sn1per said:

This should be interesting, by the end of this thread it's surely going to be his fault for bringing cash and being so stupid for leaving it in the safe..... hang him 

You're playing not fair and you're killing the forum. 

Couldn't you wait a few hours posting this? :post-4641-1156694572:

On 22/12/2016 at 3:28 PM, joepattaya1961 said:

You're playing not fair and you're killing the forum. 

Couldn't you wait a few hours posting this? :post-4641-1156694572:

haha, yeah sorry I was jumping the gun a bit, I should have waited until after he was hung

On 12/20/2016 at 9:04 PM, taichiplanet said:

Never trusted using one unless i could see it was properly bolted into concrete. Checked into a Bkk hotel once and asked if the room had a safe. About a minute after getting into the room there was a knock at the door and a thin old thai women weighing no more than 45 kgs had a small safe in her arms and plonked into the wardrobe! The only use i got from it was it made me smile.

many of the small guesthouses up that way have room safes but they are just bolted to the table or inside the closet, etc.  wouldn't take much to get them out.  All they do is keep the honest honest.