A girl has gone online to warn people about habitual use of the pain killer Tramadol

webfact

1 minute ago, MadMuhummad said:

I'm in no way trying to make a case 'for' using both merely stating that I choose to and I'm well aware of the circumstances of which I qualified with my 'playing with fire' statement.

Ideally I totally understand your statement of choose one or the other unfortunately I don't have that choice. No pain meds and I cease to operate, period.

Just for the record these were my injuries:

Fractured skull.

Subdural haematoma resulting in acquired brain injury.

Fractured maxillary sinus.

Fractured occipital condyle (base of skull.)

Brachial plexus injury.

7 fractured ribs

Left pneumothorax (punctured lung) sucking chest wound.

Bruised heart.

Ruptured spleen.

Traumatic abdominal hernia.

3 fractured transverse processes.

Left patella fracture.

Left bucket handle tear meniscus.

Puncture wound and fracture of left ankle.

Nerve damage to lower left leg.

so as you can probably understand chronic pain is going to be a massive issue for the rest of my life. And at 39 I'm by no means an alcoholic but I do enjoy a drink every now and then (less than once monthly)

Sorry about your injuries.  Take care...

Edited by joeyg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, balo said:

Good for you , then you must be a rare case , take a look at TSF post earlier in this thread how he twice failed to stop using Tramadol and in the end had to seek professional help in Australia. 

We are all different I suppose but a quick google search will tell you Tramadol is addictive. 

Some people go through life dependent on drugs or other people.

Other people like myself are not wimps, are positive people and have the will power to stop taking meds.

On 1/10/2017 at 4:30 AM, joeyg said:

Up the dosage.  You'll get to witness some deaths.  Guaranteed. 100%

I find your post fascinating.  Due to circumstances, we need to use planes, trains cars for transportation.

Consuming alcohol and narcotics.  Bad idea.  Really.  You might reconsider your choice in friends as well.

it is a stupid idea to 'up the dosage'.  that is what happens when you are a habitual user, as the original article here was noting.  habitual users have lost their course so to speak.  i've never taken more than one tramadol in a day.  and rarely have i done that twice in a week.   and i have had periods of zero tramadol/alcohol that lasted several months.

i don't think i made my point on the cars/planes very clear.  it isn't that those are 'required' to live a life while tramadol is not required to live.  what i'm trying to say is the statements made about 'deaths' from tramadol and alcohol are misleading.  they seem to imply you will drop dead.   let's just say that you have a 1% chance of death via an auto accident (no idea what it really is) and you also have a 1% chance of death by tramadol/alcohol (again, i have no idea).  so it is the same chance of death but the statements made about tramadol/alcohol seem much more severe than those made about the dangers of driving a car.  it would be really nice to know exactly what the chances are.  they did studies right ?  why not give us the numbers (i think it is because they won't seem very dangerous so they won't do it).  and they definitely don't make a distinction between habitual and casual users, they just say 'death can occur', etc...

i can only speak of my experience in america but it seems like there are three sides of this discussion and only two are really heard.  the two that are heard are the 'anti alcohol/drug' people and those that have become addicts/alcoholics.  the third group are those that use alcohol/drugs in a responsible manner (i know that sounds impossible to some).  unfortunately those people are often categorized as addicts/alcoholics, especially by the 'anti alcoholic/drug' group.  and those of us in that group can't really speak out about it as a result of the feedback we get from that group.  so we don't get to hear from the people who know the most about responsible usage.  we only hear about those that never do it and those that always do it.

15 minutes ago, buick said:

it is a stupid idea to 'up the dosage'.  that is what happens when you are a habitual user, as the original article here was noting.  habitual users have lost their course so to speak.  i've never taken more than one tramadol in a day.  and rarely have i done that twice in a week.   and i have had periods of zero tramadol/alcohol that lasted several months.

i don't think i made my point on the cars/planes very clear.  it isn't that those are 'required' to live a life while tramadol is not required to live.  what i'm trying to say is the statements made about 'deaths' from tramadol and alcohol are misleading.  they seem to imply you will drop dead.   let's just say that you have a 1% chance of death via an auto accident (no idea what it really is) and you also have a 1% chance of death by tramadol/alcohol (again, i have no idea).  so it is the same chance of death but the statements made about tramadol/alcohol seem much more severe than those made about the dangers of driving a car.  it would be really nice to know exactly what the chances are.  they did studies right ?  why not give us the numbers (i think it is because they won't seem very dangerous so they won't do it).  and they definitely don't make a distinction between habitual and casual users, they just say 'death can occur', etc...

i can only speak of my experience in america but it seems like there are three sides of this discussion and only two are really heard.  the two that are heard are the 'anti alcohol/drug' people and those that have become addicts/alcoholics.  the third group are those that use alcohol/drugs in a responsible manner (i know that sounds impossible to some).  unfortunately those people are often categorized as addicts/alcoholics, especially by the 'anti alcoholic/drug' group.  and those of us in that group can't really speak out about it as a result of the feedback we get from that group.  so we don't get to hear from the people who know the most about responsible usage.  we only hear about those that never do it and those that always do it.

Well said

20 hours ago, balo said:

We are all different I suppose but a quick google search will tell you Tramadol is addictive. 

i would suggest replacing 'is' with 'can be'.  we are all different and tramadol can be addictive.  it depends on the person and i will go out on a limb and say very few people get addicted in relation to the universe of people that take/have taken it.