A girl has gone online to warn people about habitual use of the pain killer Tramadol

webfact

In respect of pain, I guess everyone has different needs and reactions. I was given tramadol ( in the form of Ultracet) for a flare-up of pre-existing osteo-arthritis. I asked for something with codeine phosphate in it, as I would take in Australia as an OTC medication. No have ( banned). The Tramadol was ok for the pain but the effect was far too 'floaty', therefore unsurprising that the boy in the story found them sedating.

I wouldn't use this medication again, for choice. This was about 5 years ago.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

My main issue with Tramadol is it makes me itchy as hell...

Tramadol is not very fun so I can not see it being abused much...

I have been taking Tramadol morning and evening, wine with the latter, and often wake up with an itchy head and neck. maybe why

3 hours ago, Ai Dteea said:

Good for her to warn people online of the dangers.

Shame on others for saying it is harmless. It most certainly is not harmless - it causes dependency. 

A very dangerous drug, especially in Thailand where you can buy it over the counter.

Doctors in developed countries have known about the dangers of this drug for many years. 

Withdrawal from this drug is particularly nasty, hence why there are so many addicts.

You mean warm them not to abuse it. All drugs can be dangerous if not taken as directed. Even paracetamol can give you liver failure if taken in large quantities. I think probably more harm is done to Thai people by the overuse of antibiotics which stops the drugs from working as overuse causes immunity. 

Edited by Bureaucrat

3 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

I can see a knee-jerk reaction coming from the authorities, just like the ban on anti allergy meds containing pseudoephedrine a few years ago. Here we have some dim-witted junkie who can't/won't read the instructions in the box.

As a result hundreds of thousands of people with a legitimate need, will be denied access to an effective medication for their suffering.

As Paracelsus, the father of modern pharmacology, said: Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy. 

"I can see a knee-jerk reaction coming from the authorities,"L

Like the ban on alcohol on trains because one of their own employees - high on drink and drugs raped and murdered a 12 year old girl!

1 hour ago, scottymdt said:

Looks to be a lot of prescription pill addicts about trying to defend long term use of opiates.

keep telling your self its ok and it will be fine 

It's not an opiate, in fact, opioids were made so people wouldn't get hooked on opiates.  Tramadol is like a tic-tac compared to Morphine.  If you take more than a couple per day, you would want to reduce dosage as cold turkey would likely be similar to quitting cigarettes.  It is much easier on the stomach than all that other OTC crap they parrot, when you are in pain.  Better than Valium for real pain..like back or toothache.  Not the most idiotic story reported as news on TVF (this week), but not really even suitable for a tabloid.

I been taking TRAMADOL for Chronic Pain from RA and Arthritis for well over 20 years , never take it until Pain arrives , I take 200Mgr. around 3-4 X a day . It doesn't do any good when I get Flare-ups , recently I found that my total Pain problem is Fibromyalgia , I sure wish The Thai Govt. would legalize Medical Marijuana , it is much safer to help with Chronic Pain and it would be a Big Plus to the Medical Tourism & Tourism Industries , that need help , Plus since inception Marijuana and HEMP laws have been nothing but scam Laws by the US Federal Agents being bribed by OIL < Big Pharma & Chemical Co. to keep Hemp off the Market so they can Pollute the Planet with Plastic goods ! So they can keep their jobs with a Unjust Laws against a Plant , that does way more to help People on Earth , The Person who had a problem with Tramadol does nothing but make it harder for People in need of Pain Medicine , harder to find and more costly when you Do ! Just get him to a re-hab clinic to deal with his addiction ! Your complaining does no one any good , just scares less knowledgeable People into getting worked up over nothing but your friend's Failure to use his prescibed Tramadol and stop abusing how he takes his Medicine on a Daily Basis !

Proof.png

Edited by TheWizardofRnR
misspell 2 words !

1 hour ago, scottymdt said:

Looks to be a lot of prescription pill addicts about trying to defend long term use of opiates.

keep telling your self its ok and it will be fine 

I take one or two every time I golf or I can't golf. Sitting on my ass all day is not good for me I know that for sure. I would much rather have Codeine but can't find any here.  I had a friend who took Vicodin like candy and with whiskey. Dead with liver cancer at 60.

26 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Have been taking Tramadol daily since 1997 for Fibromyligia as nothing else controls it. Dont seem to have any side effects. Everything works so to speak !!   After 19 years am guessing am ok with it

Sure you OK with it, no worries at all mate. No side effects, everything's bonza. Now stop taking Tram and see what happens.

17 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

It's not an opiate, in fact, opioids were made so people wouldn't get hooked on opiates.  Tramadol is like a tic-tac compared to Morphine.  If you take more than a couple per day, you would want to reduce dosage as cold turkey would likely be similar to quitting cigarettes.  It is much easier on the stomach than all that other OTC crap they parrot, when you are in pain.  Better than Valium for real pain..like back or toothache.  Not the most idiotic story reported as news on TVF (this week), but not really even suitable for a tabloid.

Tramadol is a synthetic opiate with strong dependence, it is used by heroin addicted people as a help along when they don't have any gear.

plus in middle eastern country's tramadol is used as a substitute for morphine.

Legalize weed.

The conditions in Thailand are perfect to grow weed. Stop calling it bad names and use it to help relieve pain.

"No, It's a gateway drug",

It is not. It's a mellow high that can relieve stress and pain. This plant has had way too much negative press. The fact is no one, not one person, cat or dog has died from using weed.

I think the real reason countries around the globe don't legalize it is because alot of people will stop drinking alcohol and try weed instead. The alcohol barons don't want their priduct nor selling and the government doesn't want to lose the tax money from sales of alcohol falling.

Edited by Wilsonandson

Here's my Tram story. About 15 years ago I was given some by a dentist in Sri Racha after some extractions. Wonderful stuff. I curled up into a comfy little ball on my bed scratching myself like a junkie. Slept like a baby. A couple days later the Tram the dentist had given me was gone, and a couple days later I happened to be in a Chonburi pharmacy and spotted Tram on the shelf...I'll have some of that please. 

Fast forward a couple years I was taking 400 mg a day (8 X 50 milligram caps) a day. Yes I slimmed right down, had a lovely figure, great sleeps every night, love making was enhanced too as I had a warm fuzzy cuddly feeling after 400 mgs. Everything was wonderful.

But I knew I was addicted and tried to stop. Ha ha...welcome to hell. Paranoia, muscle spasms, insomnia, not funny at all. Another bad thing was my tolerance to pain killers had gone up, so when I needed more dental treatment I needed extra strong shots. Some nights I came home pissed and fell asleep and missed my evening dose of Tram. You'd think being drunk I'd sleep right through...no way. I'd wake at 2 or 3 am with leg spasms and had to get up and take Tram then sit around feeling horrible for about 2 more hours until the tram kicked in and I could get to sleep.

Anyway, I ended up doing a detox in Australia and was off Tram. Then I returned to Thailand and got back into Tram, foolishly thinking I could "control" it. A couple years later I did a 2nd detox in Australia and that was about 6 years ago and I'm clean and off the rotten stuff for 6 years now.

But make no mistake. Tram is a synthetic opiate and junk is junk. 

5 hours ago, Ai Dteea said:

Good for her to warn people online of the dangers.

Shame on others for saying it is harmless. It most certainly is not harmless - it causes dependency. 

A very dangerous drug, especially in Thailand where you can buy it over the counter.

Doctors in developed countries have known about the dangers of this drug for many years. 

Withdrawal from this drug is particularly nasty, hence why there are so many addicts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that Tramadol produced the negative effects seen by the Thai dude in the OP picture. 

I would put cash on it that there were several other amphetamine based drugs contributing to the guys situation and not just tramadol. 

I don't even know why people would take a random, unsubstantiated Facebook post like its oath from a medical professional.

Well it seems tramadol effects some people differently to others.

in my experience it is definitely a drug to be used cautiously and wisely. It's had its hooks in me a few times over the years, mainly when I was younger and didn't consider the side effects with alcohol. At one stage i would carelessly take combinations of instant and slow release to get me through the working week, (was chefing at the time, long hrs on my feet and with disc protrusions).

i knew that ultimately the pills weren't an ideal solution but when I stopped cold turkey ? that's when the withdrawals kicked in. I actually used endone to seen myself off tramal!! I'd had experience with endone in past and it wasn't a problem for me, tho I know it is for others. Stopping cold turkey brought on pretty severe depression and suicidal thoughts, it wasn't pleasant.

anywayz, a few more attempts over the years to use, not abuse tramal and finally I have it fairly figured out for me. I take one x 150mg at round 9-10am and one round 9-10pm. I wake up before coming down, before the pain sets in. Yes I feel like I'm addicted but at the same time I just keep a handle on it. And I definitely don't mix with booze!!! I'm planning on kicking them in 2017 and getting on top of my fitness, something which has definitely helped ease my back pain in the past. Good stretching regime is great if u do it every day.

29 minutes ago, TSF said:

Here's my Tram story. About 15 years ago I was given some by a dentist in Sri Racha after some extractions. Wonderful stuff. I curled up into a comfy little ball on my bed scratching myself like a junkie. Slept like a baby. A couple days later the Tram the dentist had given me was gone, and a couple days later I happened to be in a Chonburi pharmacy and spotted Tram on the shelf...I'll have some of that please. 

Fast forward a couple years I was taking 400 mg a day (8 X 50 milligram caps) a day. Yes I slimmed right down, had a lovely figure, great sleeps every night, love making was enhanced too as I had a warm fuzzy cuddly feeling after 400 mgs. Everything was wonderful.

But I knew I was addicted and tried to stop. Ha ha...welcome to hell. Paranoia, muscle spasms, insomnia, not funny at all. Another bad thing was my tolerance to pain killers had gone up, so when I needed more dental treatment I needed extra strong shots. Some nights I came home pissed and fell asleep and missed my evening dose of Tram. You'd think being drunk I'd sleep right through...no way. I'd wake at 2 or 3 am with leg spasms and had to get up and take Tram then sit around feeling horrible for about 2 more hours until the tram kicked in and I could get to sleep.

Anyway, I ended up doing a detox in Australia and was off Tram. Then I returned to Thailand and got back into Tram, foolishly thinking I could "control" it. A couple years later I did a 2nd detox in Australia and that was about 6 years ago and I'm clean and off the rotten stuff for 6 years now.

But make no mistake. Tram is a synthetic opiate and junk is junk. 

Yes, the withdrawals are not pleasant. U just wanna crawl outta ur skin. And if i come down while asleep I get really shit and crazy bad dreams!!

2 hours ago, marcher said:

I have been taking Tramadol morning and evening, wine with the latter, and often wake up with an itchy head and neck. maybe why

Man Tramadol makes my skin itch like you would not believe..

I look like a dog scratching who has fleas...lol....

I  will not take it any more unless I have some serious pain.. 

5 hours ago, Pinot said:

Opiates should always be avoided. 

I've written about this. IMHO, I am not a doctor, the first thing that should be used to fight chronic pain is Gabapentin. It is rarely prescribed and even less often prescribed correctly. I take a maintenance dose everyday and have eliminated the crippling back pain I use to get from degenerating discs. 

IM me if you have questions but this link will explain everything. Check with your doctor but I doubt they'll know much about Gaba. 

Gabapentin is THE drug for chronic pain

Gaba is great for treating nerve pain. I'm on 600mg a day. But it isn't a magic bullet, I'm still on 20mg x I daily, endone 20mg 3 x weekly and Catapres for muscles spasms.

depends on the damage done as always one would guess. Same as you I am no doctor 55

2 hours ago, DjSiN said:

It is a shame tho to give tramal bad press on account of someone who possibly did a bunch of other shit while taking tramal.

A shame? It a terribly nasty drug. It great that it has made the headlines, if just one of the users here understands that they are addicted and manage to get off it.

14 hours ago, chiman said:

News that some meds can be addictive if they are abused?  Not News... I took Tramadol a few times in the last few years for a bad disk in my neck, didn't mix it, just took it before bed so I could sleep without too much pain.  Never had any issues...

'Same story I think with lots of prescription AND OTC drugs.   It's with long-term use - even on a prescription basis - that the risk lies.   I used OTC sleep aids for awhile, and came to the conclusion that (1) I really didn't need them; (2) they were responsible for side-effects (like dry-mouth, and a reluctance to "get going" the next day) I didn't have any adequate prior appreciation of.  It seems to me there's always a trade-off.  Some benefit, real or imagined, in return for SOMEthing negatively affecting your health, known or unknown   I don't want to sound preachy:  I know that pain-killers, for example, serve an important, necessary purpose for those that truly need them.  I'd certainly never advise anyone to discontinue their blood pressure or other prescribed meds.  I'm just hoping that I don't get into a position where I find out I need to start taking something permanently, and if I do, my first question will be what I have to do to get myself off of it, whatever it is.  Medication to deal with a medical emergency or specific health event or to "get well" is one thing, but something you start taking regularly I see as another.  And I see it as a long down-hill path that tends to get steeper the older you get and the longer the list becomes.

Sale of painkiller to be restricted amid teen craze
By PIYANUCH THAMNUKASETCHAI, 
PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION

f5d4a42f4c000f35bfaf40eb16bbf23e.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- TOUGHER restrictions will be imposed on the sale of the painkiller tramadol to tackle drug misuse among teenagers, a director of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) said yesterday.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/959759-sale-of-painkiller-to-be-restricted-amid-teen-craze/

5 hours ago, Ai Dteea said:

A shame? It a terribly nasty drug. It great that it has made the headlines, if just one of the users here understands that they are addicted and manage to get off it.

Making the headlines because somebody clearly abused this drug is already causing a knee jerk reaction, which then makes it harder for those who ACTUALLY need it an DO NOT misuse it. 

Thats why it's a shame. If the governing bodies cld react in a sensible manner with better education than great, but probably not. 

Beter still, BAN booze! That's the bigger problem here I'd say. 

1 hour ago, DjSiN said:

Making the headlines because somebody clearly abused this drug is already causing a knee jerk reaction, which then makes it harder for those who ACTUALLY need it an DO NOT misuse it. 

Thats why it's a shame. If the governing bodies cld react in a sensible manner with better education than great, but probably not. 

Beter still, BAN booze! That's the bigger problem here I'd say. 

Another one who probably has a history of abuse, so wants it banned for everyone !

My main issue with Tramadol is it makes me itchy as hell...
Tramadol is not very fun so I can not see it being abused much...

Itching is a classic symptom of opiates/opioid use. And unless your a chemist the differences are not meaningful. Docs gave me some opioids years ago for a kidney stone. Right away I had slight itching in some joints and around the chin. On the next dose later that day I heard a voice in my head that I had not heard in decades trying to entice me to take a few more pills and go for a sleigh ride again as in the past. Fortunately I do not have an addictive gene set and easily ignored the voice who I call Lady O. And that is the hidden danger is that some, probably a genetic factor involved, get easily addicted and others do not.

12 hours ago, MadMuhummad said:

Gaba is great for treating nerve pain. I'm on 600mg a day. But it isn't a magic bullet, I'm still on 20mg x I daily, endone 20mg 3 x weekly and Catapres for muscles spasms.

depends on the damage done as always one would guess. Same as you I am no doctor 55

600 mg probably isn't an effective dose. I think 900 mg would be a minimum dose and 1800 if that doesn't work. People do take up to 3600 mg depending upon the severity of the pain. 

By the way Gabapentin is available for far less outside Thailand. Vitacost for instance will ship to Thailand for about 20% of the cost in LOS. 

See the link in my previous post for more information.