Media up in arms over plan for ‘intrusive’ law

webfact

Media up in arms over plan for ‘intrusive’ law
By KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

31195b0b85b68259752db5b20171711b.jpeg

Kanit

Six journalism bodies suggest self-regulation mechanism to protect freedoms

BANGKOK: -- SIX MEDIA organisations yesterday demanded that the junta-backed media reform committee reconsider the draft of the media bill and proposed a counter draft, which includes a committee as a self-regulating mechanism and aims to protect media rights and freedom.

The organisations are: the National Press Council, the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand, the Thai Journalists Association (TJA), the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, the Online News Providers Association and Thailand Cable TV Association. They submitted a letter, including their own draft, to Kanit Suwannet, chairman of the media reform committee. 

Representing the organisations, TJA president Wanchai Wongmeechai yesterday denounced the draft bill, saying it paved the way for the state to interfere in the media, which goes against the principles laid out in the new constitution. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302671

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-23

Representing the organisations, TJA president Wanchai Wongmeechai yesterday denounced the draft bill, saying it paved the way for the state to interfere in the media, which goes against the principles laid out in the new constitution

Oh come on!....... It's for your good and the good of the country!

41 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Representing the organisations, TJA president Wanchai Wongmeechai yesterday denounced the draft bill, saying it paved the way for the state to interfere in the media, which goes against the principles laid out in the new constitution

Oh come on!....... It's for your good and the good of the country!

:clap2: and by complaining about this the media are now likely to face even more controls.

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Hard to imagine stricter controls on the media, they already outlawed telling the truth.

BUT they do tell the truth only it's the approved and squeaky clean version and not the misleading, insulting, subversive nonsense those nasty foreign sources deliver.

Thai media 'up in arms' - as if! Since when have the Thai media been 'up in arms' about anything?

Remember that journalist letting Prayuck fondle the journalist's ear and pat his head while he kowtowed on his knees before him?

Or the 'journalists' dressed up as children on Children's Day to please that same dear person?

'Up in arms' my foot!

BP has been toeing the line recently. Their lead 'social' stories have become sickening.

However, if privately owned news media companies are only allowed to print propaganda, they will go out of business quickly. State control of media works when the State pays the bills.

proposed a counter draft,

I hope it contains a clause that allows billionaire Prime Ministers to purchase as many media outlets as possible so that he/she can control content and editorial content. Semms to me there was a PM that did this before but I heard he left the country.

6 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

proposed a counter draft,

I hope it contains a clause that allows billionaire Prime Ministers to purchase as many media outlets as possible so that he/she can control content and editorial content. Semms to me there was a PM that did this before but I heard he left the country.

Oh no! Not a song ripped from the pages of the Chang MaI First Family song book?

Archived