Record 5,000 migrants drown in Mediterranean in 2016

rooster59

Record 5,000 migrants drown in Mediterranean in 2016

606x341_353174.jpg

More than 5,000 migrants are thought to have drowned in the Mediterranean Sea in 2016, a record figure described as “a devastating milestone” by the UN refugee agency (UNHCR).

On Thursday alone, some 100 mainly West Africans were feared to have perished making the treacherous crossing to Europe.

To save lives, the UNHCR says legal entry for those seeking safety is desperately needed.

“This situation highlights the urgent need for states to increase pathways for admission of refugees, such as resettlement, private sponsorship, family reunification and student scholarship schemes, among others, so they do not have to resort to dangerous journeys and the use of smugglers,” said UNHCR spokesman William Spindler.

Just under 3,800 migrants perished at sea during all of 2015, according to figures from the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

The UN says smugglers are now sending large numbers of migrants to Europe simultaneously, making the work of rescuers more difficult.

Bad weather and ever flimsier vessels are also blamed for an average of 14 migrant deaths a day in the Mediterranean in 2016, among those risking everything.

IOM figures show 358,403 migrants and refugees had entered Europe by sea in 2016 up to and including Dec. 21, arriving mostly in Greece and Italy.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-24

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia is condemned for its migrant policy but at least nobody has drowned in the last few years. Migrant smugglers have seemingly given up selling Australia as a  

safe and easy touch. 

34 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Not migrants but illegal economic migrants who are attempting to flaunt laws and enter countries illegally using the services of criminal gangs.

Your logic is lacking.  "Illegal economic migrants" are migrants.

And whilst perhaps a large majority is economic migrants there are still some individuals fleeing genuine peril to their lives.  Their use of the services of criminal gangs just stresses their sheer and utter desperation.

This is a pretty sad attempt at emotional blackmail. They want to assign blame for these unfortunate deaths on European countries that don’t agree to unconditionally accept and financially support everyone interested in a free ride.

The UN is not blaming this situation on the migrants, they’re not blaming it on the smugglers and they’re not blaming the migrants’ counties of origin. No, they’re saying this problem is caused by a failure to recognize the moral necessity(?) of inviting the world in to occupy one’s country.

It’s almost unbelievable that Mr Spindler and his cronies are actually serious.  

Edited by Hayduke

To save lives, the UNHCR says legal entry for those seeking safety is desperately needed.

The UN says smugglers are now sending large numbers of migrants to Europe simultaneously, making the work of rescuers more difficult.

IOM figures show 358,403 migrants and refugees had entered Europe by sea in 2016 up to and including Dec. 21, arriving mostly in Greece and Italy.

How about we arrest the smugglers and we keep these people in their countries? Greece can't even afford to pay the pensions of her citizens and you want them to take more refugees? :sleepy:

Edited by deathmule

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Your logic is lacking.  "Illegal economic migrants" are migrants.

And whilst perhaps a large majority is economic migrants there are still some individuals fleeing genuine peril to their lives.  Their use of the services of criminal gangs just stresses their sheer and utter desperation.

Please explain why individuals "fleeing genuine peril" decided not to stop in the first safe country, and somehow obtained sufficient funds to pay the traffickers to risk their lives to enter the land of the crusaders that they despise.

If the Euro authorities had simply returned the illegals to the shores of Libya, the flow would have ceased long ago. By bringing them to Europe, the authorities are only guaranteeing many more deaths due to drowning in the future.

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Please explain why individuals "fleeing genuine peril" decided not to stop in the first safe country, and somehow obtained sufficient funds to pay the traffickers to risk their lives to enter the land of the crusaders that they despise.

If the Euro authorities had simply returned the illegals to the shores of Libya, the flow would have ceased long ago. By bringing them to Europe, the authorities are only guaranteeing many more deaths due to drowning in the future.

They may be fleeing real peril, but they still dream of a better standard of living than can be provided by the likes of Greece and Italy.

They often don't have the funds to pay to traffickers, but go into debt out of desperation.

As we're often told, most Moslems simply want to live a peaceful life.  (After all, it is "The Religion of Peace".)  They don't despise "crusaders".  (Stupid notion.  There haven't been crusades for centuries.)

And if the Euro authorities had simply returned the illegals to Libya, well how would that work with the Afghans, Somalis, Pakistanis, Eritreans, and all the rest of the races - particularly where they don't have documentation of their country of origin?

And for the Libyans, what would that mean for their life expectancy in an hostile regime?

Your attitude is far too simplistic for the real world.

29 minutes ago, Diena said:

They should have stayed home,,,,They be alive,,,,

Or quite possibly dead.  But clearly you don't care.  And clearly are utterly ignorant of the conditions some of these people are fleeing.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

They may be fleeing real peril, but they still dream of a better standard of living than can be provided by the likes of Greece and Italy.

They often don't have the funds to pay to traffickers, but go into debt out of desperation.

As we're often told, most Moslems simply want to live a peaceful life.  (After all, it is "The Religion of Peace".)  They don't despise "crusaders".  (Stupid notion.  There haven't been crusades for centuries.)

And if the Euro authorities had simply returned the illegals to Libya, well how would that work with the Afghans, Somalis, Pakistanis, Eritreans, and all the rest of the races - particularly where they don't have documentation of their country of origin?

And for the Libyans, what would that mean for their life expectancy in an hostile regime?

Your attitude is far too simplistic for the real world.

I don't quite know how to explain this to you, but they have no right to a better standard of living than they can have in their own country.

What lender will give money to people that might die on the way?

IS refer to us kuffirs as crusaders.

The Afghans, Somalis, Pakistanis, Eritreans, and all the rest of the races don't have any right to be allowed into Europe when undocumented. Their only "right" is to qualify to go there on a proper visa, or as a refugee if accepted from a refugee camp in the first safe country they come to.

Ergo, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

It is not the responsibility of Europe to save everyone in the whole world. They could go to Saudi Arabia, which is a safe Muslim country if they are at risk.

Just now, Oxx said:

Or quite possibly dead.  But clearly you don't care.  And clearly are utterly ignorant of the conditions some of these people are fleeing.

In South Sudan people are being killed every day. Should every South Sudanese be allowed to enter Europe?

Should all the Rohingas be allowed into Europe?

Is it a European obligation to take every person in the world that wants a better life?

Why is it not an obligation for Saudi Arabia and Pakistan to give them a better life?

Why not Peru and Chile etc?

People die all the time from terrible things. Are the child labourers of India less deserving of a better life than the peasants in Nth Korea?

Accusing other posters of not caring is not constructive.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't quite know how to explain this to you, but they have no right to a better standard of living than they can have in their own country.

Your understanding of "rights" is utter tosh.

People far wiser and worldlier than you or I created the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights".  It includes such items as:

"Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person." (Article 3)

"No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment." (Article 5)

"No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile."*(Article 9)

Etc., Etc..

So no, by any reasonable, rational, humane standard some refugees have a right to "a better standard of living than they can have in their own country" if life in the home country includes extrajudicial murder, torture, or arbitrary arrest.

(Saudi Arabia is not a signatory to the declaration and has an atrocious record on human rights.  When you write "They could go to Saudi Arabia, which is a safe Muslim country if they are at risk" you simply show yourself to be poorly informed.)

2 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Your understanding of "rights" is utter tosh.

People far wiser and worldlier than you or I created the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights".  It includes such items as:

"Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person." (Article 3)

"No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment." (Article 5)

"No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile."*(Article 9)

Etc., Etc..

So no, by any reasonable, rational, humane standard some refugees have a right to "a better standard of living than they can have in their own country" if life in the home country includes extrajudicial murder, torture, or arbitrary arrest.

(Saudi Arabia is not a signatory to the declaration and has an atrocious record on human rights.  When you write "They could go to Saudi Arabia, which is a safe Muslim country if they are at risk" you simply show yourself to be poorly informed.)

I can only assume that you believe it is the "right" of every human being to have what you list and that it is the obligation of the west to provide that for every single person that claims not to have it.

Good luck with that.

A lot of virtue signalling in this thread from leftys :D  -  If your daughter was raped and murdered by some savage from the Congo you'd completely reverse your view.. 

If Europe does not take a harsh stance on this now this problem will never end. Look at their birth rates  - we will have an infinite number of poor and stupid people migrating north 

20140308_mam905_595_0.png

Ooh, the empathy is strong with these ones- TV's finest are at it again! 5.000 brown or black people, with the wrong set of mythical believes are dead- who gives a....?!
Do they mind the women and children?
Naaaah...there are no children, it's all made up by the Luegenpresse!
"You'd be talking differently, if your daughter was raped by a savage from Congo!"
Never mind, the chances are infinitively higher, she'd be raped by a good. white, upstanding Christian fro a European country, I'd be happy, as long as it is not a Muzzy- negro from Africa!
>bitter sarcasm off

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's difficult to say much without sounding heart hearted but the media doesn't help any feeling of good will with their sob story, fluff pieces which ignore the truth and are so slanted.

Last week the BBC did a report on some who had survived tragedy and interviewed one in Britain, the story ended with the presenter saying " putting aside the legality or otherwise how these migrants get into the country. "

That's right, don't let the fact that people enter a country(ies) illegally etc get in the way of a tear jerker.

What the BBC and others don't seem to realise they're just fueling resentment not evoking sympathy.

14 hours ago, Hayduke said:

The UN is not blaming this situation on the migrants, they’re not blaming it on the smugglers and they’re not blaming the migrants’ counties of origin. No, they’re saying this problem is caused by a failure to recognize the moral necessity(?) of inviting the world in to occupy one’s country.

The spokesman is not saying or alluding to your false news story. What he is saying countries should take on the processing and vetting of asylum seekers and if accepted for resettlement appropriate services be put in-pace to assist with resettlement / integration. If you can bother to find some facts you will note the flood of asylum seekers / economic refugees into the EU was warned of by UNHCR years ago and no notice, or at least very minimal effort made to proactively address the issues 'in situ' in host countries such as as Turkey, Lebanon and so on

Edited by simple1

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

Ooh, the empathy is strong with these ones- TV's finest are at it again! 5.000 brown or black people, with the wrong set of mythical believes are dead- who gives a....?!
Do they mind the women and children?
Naaaah...there are no children, it's all made up by the Luegenpresse!
"You'd be talking differently, if your daughter was raped by a savage from Congo!"
Never mind, the chances are infinitively higher, she'd be raped by a good. white, upstanding Christian fro a European country, I'd be happy, as long as it is not a Muzzy- negro from Africa!
>bitter sarcasm off

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well you pay to look after them , it must be such a lovely place in your world , sitting there telling us how bad we are .

ps your right about one thing ,i don't give a .....?

bite me !!

Edited by i claudius

13 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Well you pay to look after them , it must be such a lovely place in your world , sitting there telling us how bad we are .

ps your right about one thing ,i don't give a .....?

bite me !!

I really don't give two hot 5h1ts, what you think!

Money is there, to pay for many more than just what we do right now!

It just needs to be redistributed differently!

But don't bother!

21 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I really don't give two hot 5h1ts, what you think!

Money is there, to pay for many more than just what we do right now!

It just needs to be redistributed differently!

But don't bother!

Yes but not enough money to give pensioners yearly rises ,living here ,even after they have paid in for 44 years , not enough to fund our hospitals properly ,not enough to patch up the roads back in Britain ,not enough to collect the rubbish weekly , and on and on , so i don't give 10 ...?s what anyone thinks , my father fought to keep our country free , they should stay and do the same ,not just run away and scrounge of us , and yes i do think its trajic that kids drown , but don't blame us ,blame their parents and those back in their country's that make it a sh-t hole , in the west we stayed and built our lifestyle , and they should do the same ,not come and scrounge what we built ,so sorry ,go and let your heart bleed over there helping them in their own land .

23 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Yes but not enough money to give pensioners yearly rises ,living here ,even after they have paid in for 44 years , not enough to fund our hospitals properly ,not enough to patch up the roads back in Britain ,not enough to collect the rubbish weekly , and on and on , so i don't give 10 ...?s what anyone thinks , my father fought to keep our country free , they should stay and do the same ,not just run away and scrounge of us , and yes i do think its trajic that kids drown , but don't blame us ,blame their parents and those back in their country's that make it a sh-t hole , in the west we stayed and built our lifestyle , and they should do the same ,not come and scrounge what we built ,so sorry ,go and let your heart bleed over there helping them in their own land .

Most of the time their.country is a sh!thole because of the west,.like it or not and your father would probably slap your face for speaking like this as he knew what a war, famine and despair was... 

27 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Wow...you are even dumber than I thought!

Yes, there is enough money, to give pensioners a rise- it just has to redistributed!

You really don't get it, do you?!

Cutting defense spendings would be one solution!

I give you an example: in my hometown (Hamburg/ Germany) they built a new opera house!

NO ONE needed that- but it is a new landmark to the city!

Hooray!

Started out as a 60 Million Euro project- 50% to be paid from taxes.

Ended up 10 times that much!

You could fund whole African villages with that kind of money!

But now, some rich folks can go and see Jose Carreras and sip on champagne...which is way more important!

And spare me your bulls....about the west building its lifestyle, because in large parts it was built on the back of the ones you so intensly despise! 

13 minutes ago, DavidVincent said:

Most of the time their.country is a sh!thole because of the west,.like it or not and your father would probably slap your face for speaking like this as he knew what a war, famine and despair was... 

Their countries are sh!tholes because they seem to prefer that model, I assume your farther came from one of these countries as he knows what war, famine and despair are. Europeans picked themselves up after WW2 and rebuilt their countries. Africans took working countries at independence and destroyed them.  (with a few exceptions)