whats the Homeless Farang situation like these days ?

Bonobojt

just curious as to whether there are actually homeless farangs in Thailand still ? or do they eventually get help from their embassy and go home ? or maybe they go to jail ?

if not then how do they eat ? where do they sleep ? I never saw any during my times in Thailand, so thought maybe the thai government  sorted it all out 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/why-are-so-many-westerners-homeless-in-thailand-8830302.html

According to this article there are many, and in Pattaya I've seen some.

The one story I personally know is of a Danish guy who came here, became broke and was sleeping in the Beach Road of Jomtien.

He would sleep in the beach and every morning and evening an old Thai lady would bring him food. Nobody ratted him and therefore he didn't go to jail

Now he has a job as a teacher and he's loving life.

Notably this old lady lent him 3000THB so he could buy some new clothes for his job and could afford to buy a bus ticket

I hope you are not researching the pros and cons of becoming a homeless farang in case you become one.

I don't think embassies help much...other than visiting you in detention/jail and helping the person contact family/friends for assistance (i.e., family/friends send money for a plane ticket home).

36 minutes ago, deathmule said:

The one story I personally know is of a Danish guy who came here, became broke and was sleeping in the Beach Road of Jomtien.

He would sleep in the beach and every morning and evening an old Thai lady would bring him food. Nobody ratted him and therefore he didn't go to jail

Notably this old lady lent him 3000THB so he could buy some new clothes for his job and could afford to buy a bus ticket

Did that guy have a working Visa and a degree ?

I might try sleeping on the beach once or twice on my up and coming trip.

Save 800baht a night! That's a nice meal and some beers! Some hotels allow you to store your luggage until you return..

I could store my luggage, check out and from 12 - 12 noon next day get hammered and fall asleep on the beach or if im lucky some girls apartment

2 hours ago, deathmule said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/why-are-so-many-westerners-homeless-in-thailand-8830302.html

yeah I know that but its an old article back in 2013, thought maybe things might have changed since then, or maybe its worst now

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

I've seen a few in Bangkok. The last guy I saw clearly had mental health issues. He was berating a tree outside of the Philippine Embassy. He was in a desperate state, but I'm not sure he realised it himself.

Maybe he was not mad at all but trying to make a trunk call ... Ho Ho Ho.

7 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Save 800baht a night! That's a nice meal and some beers! Some hotels allow you to store your luggage until you return..

I could store my luggage, check out and from 12 - 12 noon next day get hammered and fall asleep on the beach or if im lucky some girls apartment

you couldn't hack it last time and won't make it next time.

16 hours ago, deathmule said:

That really is a story with a happy ending. The old lady probably saved his life. Thanks for sharing it. 

This goes back to thread from few a years ago and there used to be a guy (apparently Australian ?) who used to sit at Soi Khaotalo/ Sukumvit corner (Pattaya)  under those shelters that look like a big police helmet .... Haven't seen him for years but oddly enough i saw him last week sitting under some kind of shelter as you drive into Tesco across the road... he was still there about an hour later when i left..... i think he may actually look tidier than he did 3 years ago ?? so maybe got himself sorted and came back for a holiday !!

most of the ones I knew died of alcohol abuse, they dont get jailed because theres no money in it for the police. I did manage to help out one guy. its actually really difficult to do small things like use the internet if you have no money, so I got him in touch with some friends back home who eventually got him a ticket and paid his overstay. many dont have a desire to go home tho

15 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Hmm, luggage, but no money and planning to get drunk and sleep on the beach. Now, there is a quality tourist. You don't need to pay B800/night; many fan rooms or dorms out of the tourist traps rent for B100--300/day, some for less. 

15 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Be careful there are human and none human life forms that come out after dark on the beach. I would hate to see your sheep counting cut short. 

18 hours ago, deathmule said:

what a nice story for a change.