Thai education is better than in the West

pattayalover

Remember what said your parent. "I want u to get good grades".

We have not been taught to care about others, just passing test to obtain the final recompense who is the American dream. (house, car, paid holidays,... and let others poors under the bridge)

We have never been taught to think for the group or help others.

Thai education is based on respect and I truly think that Thai children are well educated. They wear uniform and don't say bad words. They are not authorized to have a cell phone in class. They are more social.

All Thai children I have met are respectful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11694395/Parents-are-clueless-narcissists-damaging-their-kids-with-delusions-says-headmaster.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Thai education is: Do as I say and do not question what I say. 

Also ....Thai education is : Don't think...memorize and repeat.

Just because the FEW Thai children you have met are respectful is not a reflection of the school system.....its more a reflection of the Parents and their upbringing

Edited by beachproperty

Are you talking about private or government schools? 

Public school

Anyway in the west (usa), clueless parents say borrow money and study as hard as you can.

After some guys wrote here they can think out of the box.

You don't think out of the box when you borrow 100k for tuition fees to finish cashier in a Mac Donald or join the church of scientology lol.

This is a troll post, right?

No Westerner, or non Thai,who has had any experience with the Thai education system could write this.

They may well wear their neat Scout uniforms, lovely colored shirts on the prescribed days, but open up any workbook and see what they are actually learning.

My stepson went to a reasonably good private Thai school where he was taught to regurgitate facts to pass exams. I would read his books and I would class his senior year work in High School, maybe equivalent to a senior year middle school in the US.

I taught him at home to make up the gap, as best I could, I'm not a teacher. He's now at college in the US, but he still had a hard time in his freshman year trying to catch up with his classmates, thanks to the Thai education system.

Cute uniforms do not make a good education sorry to say!

Edited by GinBoy2

Cellphone - almost all kids have in class, even in the poorest of schools.

Uniform - the minute it is one degree below 30, all students bring out non-uniformed jackets.

Bad words - maybe if you can't understand the Thai bad words you would think they don't say them.

Fighting/bullying - equal to that of any Western school. I saw one girl bullied literally out of school as the kids found out her mother had HIV so just assumed she must have it too. It is not uncommon to see a few boys going at it in the back of a pick up. 

Respect - is it respect, or fear of being 'bashed' around by the teachers? 

They are more independent as they are kind of forced to find their own ways to school at a young age, but that's about it. As for the education aspect, didn't Laos beat them by two places in the ASEAN results? But if your definition of education is barely managing to wear a different uniform each day and copying out the dictionary, rather than demonstrating how to apply learnt knowledge, then sure, Thai is highly educated. 

It's a wonderful system where one of the first things a student learns is not to ask the teacher questions because that's a challenge to their authority and / or a suggestion they're not a good teacher because  the student didn't understand the first time.

The result is the student because ' marked ' and suffers accordingly.

16 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

It certainly would appear that a western education didn't result in a high level of literacy in the OP.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Tapatalk

Based on what, his written English? There are other Western Languages, you know.

Edited by smotherb
correct a misspelled word--wouldn't want to temp anyone

3 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

You're right. It was a poor assumption. Perhaps I was thrown by the mention of "the American Dream".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well, he found it necessary to explain "the American dream." He also cited a UK source, did you leap to the conclusion he was a Brit?

17 hours ago, pattayalover said:

Public school

Anyway in the west (usa), clueless parents say borrow money and study as hard as you can.

After some guys wrote here they can think out of the box.

You don't think out of the box when you borrow 100k for tuition fees to finish cashier in a Mac Donald or join the church of scientology lol.

Your comment triggered this comment from a previous post in my aging mind. Quote   maybe harking back to a time from their youth when they perceived things were better. unquote. I did not need a fancy expensive education to become a success. Jobs were plentiful great times. Fast forward to today hmm regression or perceived there of looks pretty damn good. Thanks for the memories and the  chance to succeed in a sane world. 

Edited by elgordo38

OK  I thought that April Fools was in April and not Christmas.  Then again I am in hospital and it may be the drugs.  

Pattaya lover has spent too much time in the sun or lights of walking street.

First the catch phrase that a lot of the kids use is <deleted> not in initials.

The kids are very much westernized and  only think of themselves or their group.

As to the education.  Ask kids what the capital of Thailand is and wait for the answer.

These kids learn very little in the schools because the Thai schools are trying to mimic the American system which is also failing.

Literacy in Thai and English is low and there is not any plan at the moment that will correct it.

Before modernization and the need to be westernized there was a mor coherent look after the family.  That has gone for the most part.

OP.

With all due respect to you, you really do not any grip at all upon reality.

I refer to the 2015 PISA report published only last week.

Of 70 OECD nations surveyed, Thailand came in a very respectful 57th overall, and well below the average.

Brains, and good education make good students, not " pudding basin " hair cuts ( for the girls ), and neatly presented uniforms.

18 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is a troll post, right?

EVERY post by this clown is a troll post...do a quick search through his "content".  He posts ridiculous and controversial things and then acts surprised and gets argumentative when people disagree.  The very definition of "troll".

He thrives on the attention and arguments...ignore him and he will go away.

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

OP.

With all due respect to you, you really do not any grip at all upon reality.

I refer to the 2015 PISA report published only last week.

Of 70 OECD nations surveyed, Thailand came in a very respectful 57th overall, and well below the average.

Brains, and good education make good students, not " pudding basin " hair cuts ( for the girls ), and neatly presented uniforms.

You don't need to give him any respect, as he is not giving us any.  He just posts controversial statements on various topics to get a rise out of people.  Ignore him.