Do Air Purifiers Work? Neighbors Burn Trash!

SaamBaht

Hello All,

We have squatters behind our neighborhood who burn trash, branches, leaves, and other rubbish on a daily basis. Nothing like the smell of plastic in the evenings.

I've asked the local police to speak with them, even giving them an envelope of cash to encourage them. Nothing has changed.  I was thinking of buying an Air Purifier for our living room and for my bedroom. Has anyone tried to use these devices to combat local trash burning? 

I would move but trash and rubbish fires are common most  places in Thailand. 

Do you use air conditioning or have to have windows open?  If open windows the air cleaners are not likely to be of much help but in a closed room they will make a lot of difference.  I have been using the Hatari types for last decade and happy with them.

• Like 1

I have just researched this at length as I am in the same boat as you.

Last night I returned from Phuket after a week away from the evening smoke of Issan or the charcoal burning, suffice to say as soon as I opened the car door, my sinuses and throat were irritated, the cigarette smoke in Phuket at just about every 2 steps is enough to pee me off (hypersensitive) but at least the breeze would make it go, however having a breeze in Issan is almost non existent.

I used an air purifier back in the home country that I borrowed from a friend years ago due to some tenants moving into a strata building I was living in, and their cigarette smoke was enter our unit, the machine worked brilliantly while I went to battle to stop the tenants from smoking in the complex, and yes they stopped, suffice to say the air purifier was a top of the range IQAir, not cheap and I have just ordered mine at 60,900 baht delivered, yes a big outlay and the filters to replace at different intervals, cost around 19,950 baht delivered for the 3 which are sold separately when you need them, however I did say at different intervals, like 12 months 1st filter, 2 years 2nd filter and 3 years last filter, it all depends how often and at what level you use the machine, these filters stop the smallest of smallest particles.

I suggest you visit IQAir if your looking for the freshest of air for your domain, I know others have tried other products and are happy with them, but this company has the HyperHEPA filtration system and its the best, and because I have used this machine before, I know exactly what I am getting, so why not spoil myself and my family, because there is nothing else that comes close to stopping the smoke.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TulipBulb said:

Do you mean 3M Filtrete filters?  

Where do they fit on a split-system unit?

Yes, 3M F.F.

The indoor unit (consumer unit) has an air intake which has wire mesh intake filters, fasten the filtrette onto them, it's designed for that purpose.

You don't have to run the aircon to filter the room, just run the fan only option and achieve the same filtration effect - change every four/six weeks during burning season.

• Like 2

Just now, TulipBulb said:

Thanks CM - one last question - where are they typically sold? I'm in BKK.

I buy mine from HomePro, others stores may also stock it but am unsure. The product is supplied with fixing tape, just cut the filtrette to size and secure. Check every week and watch the colour change, it's frightening - no problem with overloading the air intake unless the FF beomes becomes seriously black.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sead said:

How about you wait until the wind changes and burn some plastic their direction

Tempting but you'll never win. It's the same with noise pollution - an even more common problem in LOS. I think you'll find their tolerance to disgusting anti-social behaviour is way, way higher than yours.

• Like 1

I have discovered that Himalayan Salt Lamps are great air cleaners cleaning and deodorizing the indoors and I have many in my home to neutralize mold, bacteria, and allergens.

Additionally, they dispel the EMFs which are electromagnetic radiation, and for me, they assist in promoting peaceful sleep.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2016 at 11:09 PM, chiang mai said:

I buy mine from HomePro, others stores may also stock it but am unsure. The product is supplied with fixing tape, just cut the filtrette to size and secure. Check every week and watch the colour change, it's frightening - no problem with overloading the air intake unless the FF beomes becomes seriously black.

Bugger, I just ordered my IQAir unit, but wouldn't mind giving the 3M FF a go in the kids rooms as they all have A/C's and this IQAir unit is exclusively for me in my humble corner of the house.

• 1 year later...

We just moved to thailand and have exactly the same problem. Here, it is the village manager who is burning trash and dead leaves. Of course we tried to explain that this is both a fire  AND health hazard especially the authorities haved warned about the dry season. Of course he does not care about the burning harming the environment so after telling him the harmful effects of the smoke, he thinks we are making things up to annoy him. He gave us a fookup attitude and told us we could complain to the investment firm who is managing the estate if we are unhappy. Would calling the fire brigade /police help, knowing the state of affairs? To the authorities, it is local vs farang. We know the likely outcome. What pisses me off most is that we have been complaining to that ignorant fool for a long time about the burning smell and he told us' maybe villager'. The reason for lying about it is obviously he knew it was wrong. How hard is it to man up? We have 2 reliable air filters at home. However, one of the reason for choosing this place is so that we could use the garden, pool and tennis court. The burning takes place exactly behind the tennis court.A german who lived in Thailand for 10yrs explained the locals burn ANYTHING  and since even the toxic smoke from the smoke never bother them, gently explaining to them the cons of burning trash really does come across as 'confrontational'

Ideas to combat the situation most welcomed.