TrueVisions May Stop Showing HBO, Cinemax Sunday

webfact

I will stay another month or so with TRUE TV until the Superbowl is over and then will review the situation, but am going down to the TRUE shop to drop the internet service which is just not up to advertised services and let that go the phone sim data part of the package as well. I have been a loyal TRUE customer until now but the dumping of the movie channels is a trigger for me to unwind the bundle package which is currently costing around 2700 baht per month. As for Sophon which I also get, the quality just isn't up to it once one has experienced HD and an overall better signal, but it makes me weep that TRUE are trashing a part of their customer base. Looks like they are all in for sport and screw the movies.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like iLikeHD mostly for news, movies and series on demand. I don't watch AXN or HBO type channels often because most of what's offered are part of movies or series on demand. I like having the option to watch what I want. 

I also like their dedicated customer service. If I email them a complaint, they usually respond within the hour. 

While I do like image quality, channel and content diversity is more important to me. Also, this diversity comes at half the price as Truevision. Not having to deal with Truevision anymore sealed the deal for me.

Stream all of the True channels for half the price with iLikeHD+.

http://knd1.ilikehd.com/kaneda/web/free/

True is going the way of Kodak and the typrwriter. Their service sucks too!

TrueVisions cans 6 channels after contract failure
By WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP 
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- HBO Asia’s six subscription movie channels will no be longer available on TrueVisions next year because the country’s biggest pay-TV operator failed to renew a content-distribution agreement with its business partner, the broadcasting regulator has confirmed.

Last week, TrueVisions requested revocation of its licences to broadcast HBO, Cinemax, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Hits and Red by HBO. 

Natee Sukonrat, chairman of the broadcasting committee of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), said yesterday that this was a normal situation when a pay-TV operator could not reach any agreement with a content owner to broadcast its programmes, so his committee approved the request. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30302899

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-27

18 hours ago, Valentine said:

In the past they have dropped quality channels, I assume because they don't want to pay anymore, for something that looks like free to air. Yet, they never offer a price reduction. If this story proves to be true then it signals they  are going rapidly downhill.

I can only hope so! want to see them bankrupt and a "NEW" more professional company  created.

16 hours ago, Bureaucrat said:

Buy a media box you can watch HBO for free with subtitles. 1000's channels available you just pay for the box and your internet connection, you can also receive every terrestrial station in the world. Free.

WHERE could I buy such a box? I would buy almost anything that outs UBC/TRUE under the table! the oroblem is that true/ubc does not really care what the viewers say. the know they have the foreign audence by the shorts

5 minutes ago, captspectre said:

WHERE could I buy such a box? I would buy almost anything that outs UBC/TRUE under the table! the oroblem is that true/ubc does not really care what the viewers say. the know they have the foreign audence by the shorts

tuk com

16 hours ago, Bureaucrat said:

Buy a media box you can watch HBO for free with subtitles. 1000's channels available you just pay for the box and your internet connection, you can also receive every terrestrial station in the world. Free.

pls tell me more ( where to get box, is set up easy , ect ) not a technical person , so I need some explaining . but like this , I'm definitely looking for alternatives

12 hours ago, edwinchester said:

ASTRO might be a bit iffy in KK. Mate needed a 10 foot dish in Buriram for a good signal.

Skynet from Burma may be an option, available for 15k bht a year I believe.

Astro is the local Satellite TV in Malaysia including Kota Kinabalu (KK). Lived there 2 years and no problem receiving it on a standard dish.

Just now, DoctorG said:

I think he meant Khon Kaen.

If he means Astro TV from Malaysia it is just as bad as the new "TrueMisery TV" that we will be getting. I think the single Gate Way project is designed to help True and stop us getting HBO and BBC Entertainment via the internet outside of Thailand.

10 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Well that has got me buggered as well.Only 2 in my village and the other one is 79 and has been to ICU 3 times and still smokes a packet a day.

Totally Offtopic. (sorry)

But I am in the same situation. Only 2 in the village and the other one is an "Internet Cafe" where the youth go to play their online games. He is willing to do it, but the rest of the village is NOT interested, YES the youngsters want it but the parents don't have the money (or don't want to spend it) because they have and use 3G.

Doing the maths, if paying the Fee for the other 3 people it would cost me 4 x 700 x 12 = 33.600 THB a year (excluding the Initial Fee) to get DSL. And what would 3BB if I would stop paying the Fee (after 1 year) for the other ones, would they keep it running with only 2 people (me and the "Internet Cafe") paying ?

11 hours ago, rjwill01 said:

I dropped True about 8 months ago when AIS started offering fibre optic service. Free installation and equipment with 50 mps and 10 upload. Have used IPTV along with the free iptv box they gave me all for 900 baht per month. East Pattaya

I have AIS Fibre 50/10 also with their Playbox which includes the TV channels.  But the TV channels are all free-to-air type channels like True's low-end/low-cost TV's packages which have no English channels to speak of, no CNN, no BBC, etc.  Yes, the AIS TV has a couple of not-well-known English channel news services which are free to air services also in many parts of the world.  It comes with free HOOQ for a year where you can select from a bunch of old movies and some TV episodes.  After 12 months you need to subscribe to HOOQ for around Bt119/mo to continue the service.   Sure, since the Playbox is just an Android box you can load apps from Google Play for other free/paid services if a person wants to watch stuff via internet connection, assuming they have a good/non-buffering internet connection.

Yes, AIS Fibre comes with IPTV which is fine for most Thais; but for farangs AIS IPTV don't offer much.   AIS TV is no substitute for True's higher-end Gold and Platinum packages.

I wonder if dropping the movie channels is related to the recent lawsuit between Fox and Bangkok Bank over the bank failing to honor its guarantee to pay GMM Grammy and CTH Pay-TV operators.  In other words, is HBO balking at Bangkok Bank guaranteeing True's payment to HBO?

10 hours ago, tx22cb said:

Passing on some info I saw about possible replacement channels - not sure about the accuracy, as it wasn't from True.

1) Warner TV (apparently Warner Bros + TNT mix)

2) Sony Channel (mostly series, not films)

3) Paramount Channel (old films)

4) Fox Action Movies

5) Celestial Classic Movies (Chinese)

6) Food Network (not films)

Most of these were on CTH before CTH folded.  Overall, they are poor (and cheap) substitutes for the HBO channels.

The other question is this - will HBO just abandon the Thai market altogether, or will they team up with some other Thai provider?

I haven't read all the posts yet, but I read today that AIS will probably be getting the HBO channels

According to the proposal, TrueVisions promised that it would offer at least six new channels – Food Network, Paramount, Warner TV, Celestial Classic Chinese Movies and Fox Action Movies and Sony Channel – to replace HBO’s channels. 

So replace quality channels with cheap alternatives. Most of these are available on the cable networks at a fraction of the price.

Netflix is much better than HBO anyway and using a good quality VPN I access BBC iplayer, ITV Hub and US-based Netflix. And with my team languishing in League One, there's not so much need for football so Ilikehd does the trick when I want live sport.

Interesting.... and good news for some if it happens.

Source?

Some talk but no credible source as yet on Pantip about AIS on their IPTV box, still no good for those without a decent fixed line internet access.

Pantip is a good source to gauge the feelings of the Thai consumer and they are not happy with the replacement line up, some threatening cancellation of True visions.

This has nothing to do with broken down negotiations, and has everything to do with one of the cheapest, and stingiest of all Thai companies. If the government cared one iota about the people as they profess to, they would remove their monopoly, effective Jan. 1st. Allow other, more competent companies to compete. I am barely justifying the continuation of my platinum package, at 2200 baht per month. With this change, I will be another that is cancelling. The loss will be staggering to them, hopefully. They could have kept every one of these channels. But they are too cheap to pay any additional fees. Just like they were too cheap to pay the licensing fees for the Olympics this past summer, which was a national disgrace, and revealed this company to be the inferior satellite affiliate that they truly are. True is anything but.  

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This has nothing to do with broken down negotiations, and has everything to do with one of the cheapest, and stingiest of all Thai companies. If the government cared one iota about the people as they profess to, they would remove their monopoly, effective Jan. 1st. Allow other, more competent companies to compete. I am barely justifying the continuation of my platinum package, at 2200 baht per month. With this change, I will be another that is cancelling. The loss will be staggering to them, hopefully. They could have kept every one of these channels. But they are too cheap to pay any additional fees. Just like they were too cheap to pay the licensing fees for the Olympics this past summer, which was a national disgrace, and revealed this company to be the inferior satellite affiliate that they truly are. True is anything but.  

Very true, no pun intended. I pay for Gold package at 1600 baht per month but am seriously thinking about dropping it. There are numerous repeats, many series are played out of sequence and sometimes disappear for no reason. documentaries are good but again too many repeats. I used to get Al Jezeera and ABC, (Australia), but they have been dropped. The only ones now are CNN, pathetic, and BBC, not a lot better. Overall it is not a good provider as it has nil competition which is because of government protection.

3 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

Very true, no pun intended. I pay for Gold package at 1600 baht per month but am seriously thinking about dropping it. There are numerous repeats, many series are played out of sequence and sometimes disappear for no reason. documentaries are good but again too many repeats. I used to get Al Jezeera and ABC, (Australia), but they have been dropped. The only ones now are CNN, pathetic, and BBC, not a lot better. Overall it is not a good provider as it has nil competition which is because of government protection.

The program I get shows channels 788 to 795, including RT and Al Jazeera. But, when I called to inquire, they said those are only available if I have True cable, not satellite. So, just several more stations I am paying for, that they are unable to deliver. An inferior company by any standards, though their true move phone service is far better. Well, looks like 2200 less baht they will be receiving each month from me.

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Totally agree.... 

but it I can't help but wonder if the executives will simply recoup losses by increasing the service charge for those that keep subscribing.... now that would give me more laughs than the broadcasted comedies!

Does anyone know exactly which 6 or 7 channels Not True will be losing in 2017? I cannot find it anywhere. As usual, the Nation, the fabulously inferior national newspaper, has another incomplete story, without the relevant information a well informed person would be looking for. 

Of course, they stated HBO and Cinemax. Which HBO channel? They have a few. And what others? Thanks.

Edited by spidermike007

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Does anyone know exactly which 6 or 7 channels Not True will be losing in 2017? I cannot find it anywhere. As usual, the Nation, the fabulously inferior national newspaper, has another incomplete story, without the relevant information a well informed person would be looking for. 

Of course, they stated HBO and Cinemax. Which HBO channel? They have a few. And what others? Thanks.

HBO, Cinemax, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Hits and Red by HBO.

So all HBO channels + Cinemax.

From here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/960388-truevisions-may-stop-showing-hbo-cinemax-sunday/?page=6#comment-11460786

Edited by MJCM