More crazy pricing

dingdongrb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You can buy the local Roza brand in the squeeze bottle for about a fourth the price of Heinz.  But yes, it's tailored to the Thai taste bud...which is actually fine.  The OP should try it.

As a man of modest means and someone who is willing and able to adapt to local food and flavours I appreciate cost savings like this.

Over the monthly grocery basket it's possible to save enough for a couple of good nights out.

I rarely use ketchup or tomato sauce but if I need some I'll try Roza.

1 hour ago, Hotrats said:

The one in the squeezy bottle is "tomato ketchup", imported.. The one in the glass bottle is"tomato sauce", locally made. Very different products.

Ahhhmm  actually not so.  

IMO its all nasty rubbish at best, but Thai made in the glass bottle is defo     "tomato ketchup"         

20161227_095845 (1).jpg

1 minute ago, lungnorm said:

I would not buy either. Heinz ketchup has been banned in Israel for some time now due to the lack of tomato's in it and a whole pile of other chemical crap. Just google it and see. I make my own.

Do you have some tip? How do you make your own? I could google it of course but more fun here.....

interestingly enough the Heinz ketchup you get  in Singapore is actually bottled in Thailand but tastes like proper UK style Heinz... I buy the expensive 'american' heinz here but is still a bit sweet for my taste .... As said Thai Heiniz is like sugar syrup ... 

Another brand I get is Hunts , think that might be US import as well ?

14 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Do you have some tip? How do you make your own? I could google it of course but more fun here.....

I googled it. Its one way to get rid of your over ripe tomato's. Basically just mush up the tomato's and some salt and black pepper and add a half a small onion chopped up fine, a bit of minced up garlic and maybe some tomato paste if your short on tomato's. Add a small amount of brown sugar and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a little white vinegar. Add some Olive oil and cook slowly. Then add some water to get your desired thickness. Other herbs like rosemary and basil or optional.

Edited by lungnorm

5 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Such is Thailand...

One can go to Loy Kroh Rd and find any number of pretty ladies or wander up the street and find a much discounted model sauntering along the moat... 

Same Same... :coffee1:

Re Squeezable or glass bottle!

I thought the 'discounted' models on Loi Kroi were squeezable, but the new 'Glassy' (sorry Classy) models were more expensive! (if they are even available now in that area)

Edited by scottiejohn

10 hours ago, lungnorm said:

I would not buy either. Heinz ketchup has been banned in Israel for some time now due to the lack of tomato's in it and a whole pile of other chemical crap. Just google it and see. I make my own.

Israel? Hmmmm  Why would anyone compare anything to that country or sand?

On 12/27/2016 at 9:44 AM, Trujillo said:

Two stalks of celery in Rimping costs 60 baht. 

One kilo of celery in Makro costs 59 baht. 

I bought a large, entire bunch of celery in Makro for 41 baht. 

You wonder if Rimping thinks we are abject fools. 

Ah yes. Rimping is right. OF COURSE we are ( abject fools ) Many of us anyway. Limping is known all over Thailand as "the Falang store." This can be attested to simply by observing the number of 'old falang gippers' hobbling along behind a shopping cart loaded to the hilt, being pushed along by some sweet young Thai thang. At least this is the situation at the Limping markets I frequent. ( oops ) And EVERYONE knows that Heinz ketchup, Campbell's soup and beans and other products imported from Aussi, the USA and other countries are MUCH HEALTHIER and better for us than the local grown 'stuff.' Limping knows what they are doing, and I think they will be here for a long time to come. 

5 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

I remember Daddies from Transport Cafe in England.Only places where you could get a good breakfast in the sixties

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

never seen 'daddies' here, i always bring some back with , but this year i left it behind, having to do with asda bbq sauce

2 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Ah yes. Rimping is right. OF COURSE we are ( abject fools ) Many of us anyway. Limping is known all over Thailand as "the Falang store." This can be attested to simply by observing the number of 'old falang gippers' hobbling along behind a shopping cart loaded to the hilt, being pushed along by some sweet young Thai thang. At least this is the situation at the Limping markets I frequent. ( oops ) And EVERYONE knows that Heinz ketchup, Campbell's soup and beans and other products imported from Aussi, the USA and other countries are MUCH HEALTHIER and better for us than the local grown 'stuff.' Limping knows what they are doing, and I think they will be here for a long time to come. 

Dont let it get to You. We Old Coffin Dodgers have Money, and were blowing it so you entitled pups dont get any when the lid goes on. 

On 12/27/2016 at 9:44 AM, Trujillo said:

Two stalks of celery in Rimping costs 60 baht. 

One kilo of celery in Makro costs 59 baht. 

I bought a large, entire bunch of celery in Makro for 41 baht. 

You wonder if Rimping thinks we are abject fools. 

May I ask which Makro please?  I seem to be unlucky every time I go in to the one on the Superhighway and can't find it. Big C Extra sells it but a big-ish bunch is close to 100 baht.