New Years Eve – Will the bars be open at and after midnight?

cyberfarang

I intend to be in town on the 31st with some visiting friends to see in the New Year.

Will the bar early closing times still be enforced? Or considering this is a festive occasion, will the bars be allowed to remain open later than 12.00am? Otherwise if everything is closed by midnight, it`s not going to be much fun if nowhere to go for some drinks and just roaming about aimlessly looking for some watering holes.

A bar owner with whom I had lunch today said that he has been told by the police that he can stay open beyond midnight, but that he will only be made aware of the final closing time during the day of Dec 31st. So it looks like people can still enjoy the countdown and some more drinking time beyond that. His bar is in the area close to the Night Market and the river and he maintains a good working relationship with the BiB.

On 27/12/2016 at 8:56 AM, Dante99 said:

You clearly have been told a lot of stupid sheet which for some unfathomable reason you choose to repeat.

Yes wot a load of nonsense. All Bars will be open New Yrs Eve an will continue after midnight inc clubs. 

A lot of the bars, particularly off main roads open beyond midnight regularly now anyway. They're usually even more liberal with enforcement on NYE, I'd expect many to be open until 1-2 am minimum, that is the ones who are closing at midnight now, others could well be open even later.

23 hours ago, brommers said:

A bar owner with whom I had lunch today said that he has been told by the police that he can stay open beyond midnight, but that he will only be made aware of the final closing time during the day of Dec 31st. So it looks like people can still enjoy the countdown and some more drinking time beyond that. His bar is in the area close to the Night Market and the river and he maintains a good working relationship with the BiB.

I often wonder what business it is of the police and army what hours someone wants to operate their business. It's all about controlling people I suppose, with a nice little earner if the situation presents itself.

On 27/12/2016 at 9:29 AM, idman said:

Bars open very good news but NO <deleted> FIREWORKS????? To replace that event we can partake in a nationwide prayer ceremony. Talk about going from extreme to another. Only in Thailand could take such an action. I will defy the authorities and light some firecrackers I still have.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

And that makes you feel good does it there is reason why no fireworks this year. You want fireworks go another country or respect the reason why no fireworks

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I often wonder what business it is of the police and army what hours someone wants to operate their business. It's all about controlling people I suppose, with a nice little earner if the situation presents itself.

Much as I generally like your idea of a conspiracy theory, most societies have restrictions on the sale of alcohol. One thing we can agree on though, is that it should be no business of the army. Civil society should debate and legislate for such matters in a democratic fashion. My hope for 2017 is that the rules and restrictions for New Years Eve 2018 are decided by democratically elected bodies. 

On 12/27/2016 at 4:54 AM, brommers said:

Typically they have been allowed to stay open until 4am.

8 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

Much as I generally like your idea of a conspiracy theory, most societies have restrictions on the sale of alcohol. One thing we can agree on though, is that it should be no business of the army. Civil society should debate and legislate for such matters in a democratic fashion. My hope for 2017 is that the rules and restrictions for New Years Eve 2018 are decided by democratically elected bodies. 

Agreed. What I think though is totally unacceptable is when - I'm talking Bangkok - the police have gone into tourist bar areas and demanded they close at, say, midnight, instead of 2 or 3am, simply because they can and with absolutely no compensation to the business owners. While those running a legal business were targeted, those running illegal street bars were allowed to operate until dawn. Now at least the army seems to have corrected that.

Orient Fan :sad:

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think it's called Licencing Laws.You would have them in the your country of origin.

57 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

I think it's called Licencing Laws.You would have them in the your country of origin.

Where I come from the law is laid down by parliament and not enforced at the whim of local police districts. In this instance, see post #8, the police will let a bar owner know on the day what time they will be allowed to remain open. So it has nothing at all to do with licensing laws, only with what the police decide at the last minute. Great for organising staff and for customers not knowing what is going on - hence the original post. Other times, during elections and certain holidays, one police district will ignore bars opening and others will insist on them being closed. Again, nothing to do with licensing laws.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Where I come from the law is laid down by parliament and not enforced at the whim of local police districts. In this instance, see post #8, the police will let a bar owner know on the day what time they will be allowed to remain open. So it has nothing at all to do with licensing laws, only with what the police decide at the last minute. Great for organising staff and for customers not knowing what is going on - hence the original post. Other times, during elections and certain holidays, one police district will ignore bars opening and others will insist on them being closed. Again, nothing to do with licensing laws.

Did somebody tell you that here was going to be like where you come from?

Did somebody tell you that here was going to be any different than it is?

Or is it about your assumptions?