Drivers urged to turn on headlights during daytime for safety

webfact

4 hours ago, superal said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I was told that in Laos it is unlawful to have daytime headlights . Motorbikes with auto headlights either have to be rewired or the headlight lens has to be masked up .  Fines for noncompliance . 

There are some high end cars , coming into Udon  from Laos, il have to look and report back

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Experts have suggested motorists to switch on headlights during the day as the practice is believed to reduce the risk of accidents by 30 percent. 

Of damn all use when the driving population in general is so incompetent. And that's notwithstanding that numerous motorcyclists don't think they need to switch on lights at dusk, or even nighttime.

11 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

In Europe it is compulsory to turn the lights on during winter time because of frequent gloomy weather. I think it would make more sense urging drivers to turn their lights on during cloudy, rainy, foggy weather and just before the sunset. I've noticed many drivers turn their lights on way too late when is pitch dark. 

When did that law come into force "pan-Europe"?

Under Thai traffic law section 11 is stated:

if it gets dark and you cannot see clearly more than 150m, you must turn on the headlights.

I got fined 400B for driving with my headlights on and you don't need to think about arguing with those road blocking BIBs that it is more safe with the lights on.

So, before they start to campaign to drive with headlights or running-daylights on they must change this out-of-date traffic rules otherwise it would be an easy target for the BIBs.

Furthermore, it would be a good idea to teach those motorbike drivers not to change the colors of the head and tail-lights.

No ghost will follow you home only in the Buriram-Triangle.

18 hours ago, Beachdude said:

And less than a third signal when changing lanes. 

You have to remember  that you're not driving in a Western country and that they just do things a lot differently . If you become aware of how things work here you can learn to somewhat adapt and kind of go with the flow.

"...go with the flow..." Do you mean drive like a maniac, tailgate at all speeds, drive over the center line, half in the wrong lane so you can pass reclessly with .5 second to spare, and most of all you have to have faith that your medallions will keep you from harm.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:01 AM, trogers said:

Turn on that high beam may increase visibility beyond 2000 metres...

When you can't even get some to turn on their headlights during dusk, you expect them to do so during the day?

Motorcycles have been required by law to do so...and how has that worked?

Motorcycles can't switch off their lights no more as there is no switch, so have always their lights on while driving.

2 minutes ago, bandito said:

Thailand is gonna be more and more like the nanny state I ran from.

Ah well, run again.

You mean that nanny state that didn't have the second worst rate of fatalities in the world?  Perhaps that's a good thing. LOL

Here's a holiday factoid about lights on for safety during daylight hours from the SEA region.

In Laos when I would drive up to a police checkpoint with my headlights on during the day, my Lao junior engineers would freak out and tell me that it is against the law to do so in Lao.

Laos motorcycle drivers fully believe that leaving their lights off at night saves petrol. I have asked many. Hence anyone that's spent any amount of time there will attest to seeing MANY MANY  with no lights on.

By the way a word of warning to anyone driving in Laos. Earlier this year the traffic police have increased the fines on traffic infractions by 10 times. My car was booted (in a zone where the street was lined with local Lao vehicles, I had the only rental license tag.) and they wanted 700,000 LAK ($90)  instead of the old 70,000 LAK ($9). My friend bargained it down as he explained the foreigner was not aware of this new law.

Edited by catinthehat
Need to add some facts

It is a bit silly to say that headlights don't help.  Cutting corners is in the Thai DNA, and having your lights on gives you a little edge.  A lot of drivers turn their lights on to see, and don't turn them on until dark.  About 85% of drivers don't realize that you use headlights to be seen.  Many people flash their lights at me when it is cloudy or rainy, and I have my lights on.  Drive a logging road without a radio and you will be told in no uncertain words, to "Turn your goddamn lights on."

Pattaya yesterday I approached the lights which were at red. Don't know how long as they were red when I turned the corner. I prepared to manoeuvre in front of a car and wait at the lights. What happened? The car drove straight through the red light.
Two traffic police were standing at the left corner & could have easily jumped on their bikes & pursued them but no, nothing. This is why Thais don't respect traffic laws when the police don't!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This is the reason I came up calling my driving here in Thailand Jungle Driving All sort of things could happen at any time and got to take it with a grain of salt if it had to happen it will. It is a bit more difficult to keep focus here than in America due to a different culture it is hard to switch from buffalo driving to a car or what ever.

On 12/27/2016 at 7:54 AM, Thunder26 said:

In Europe it is compulsory to turn the lights on during winter time because of frequent gloomy weather. I think it would make more sense urging drivers to turn their lights on during cloudy, rainy, foggy weather and just before the sunset. I've noticed many drivers turn their lights on way too late when is pitch dark. 

They could just make cars with lights that don't have an off switch.