Turkey cafe boss arrested for ‘cup of tea insult’ against the president

webfact

Turkey cafe boss arrested for ‘cup of tea insult’ against the president

606x341_353346.jpg

ISTANBUL: -- The manager of a cafeteria at a Turkish opposition newspaper has reportedly been arrested after saying he would refuse to serve President Recep Tayyip Erdogan a cup of tea.

According to the daily Cumhuriyet, Senol Buran, the cafeteria boss at the paper’s Istanbul office was detained on Saturday on suspicion of insulting the Turkish leader.

The offence is a crime in Turkey punishable by up to 4-years in jail.

Abbas Yalcin a lawyer for the newspaper said: ‘‘They are making these kinds of arrests as a form of punishment. This event happened on Saturday afternoon. When they wrote the official report it was 11am. They waited until 10pm and Senol had been taken in custody with three armoured vehicles under the guard of eight to ten police officers from a counter-terrorism unit.”

Buran is said to have told police officers he would refuse to make the president a cup of tea after he was stopped on his way to work.

According to court papers obtained by Reuters the cafeteria boss admits making the comment but denies insulting the president.

Staff at Cumhuriyet, have been among tens of thousands of people arrested, suspended or fired since a crackdown on dissent following last July’s failed coup.

The newspaper is one of the few critical voices of Turkey’s government.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-27

Tea and politics seem a bad combination.

Back in India's bad old days (State of Emergency) some police visited my local tea stall.  When they ordered tea the owner asked "you want normal size or you want Indira Ghandi size?" gesturing with his fingers a smaller cup.  They locked him up overnight and kicked his ass.

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Dictators around the world operate in similar ways. It is lucky that Thailand does not have one. 555

I'm sure many Thais would be glad that they do not have a similar situation, if they knew where Turkey was and the current situation there.

Not offering tea to someone is a big insult.   When I lived in Turkey, I couldn't even get a haircut without the barber stopping in the middle to offer tea.   A lot of time, they didn't even ask, the tea was just given to you and the conversation would begin.   It was also quite impolite not to drink it.   A sip or two was enough for politeness.  

Anyone who started haggling in the Grand Bazaar will know the importance of tea in any setting in Turkey. 

I am not condoning the action, just making an observation.  

Especially at the carpet shops. You cannot get away from being offered tea. They even have an apple one with no caffeine.

I befriended a couple carpet sellers in Istanbul. They ended up driving me to Kas. It was one of the best countries I have ever traveled. Like being left overnight in a museum. Spent 9 months there.

3 hours ago, halloween said:

I'm sure many Thais would be glad that they do not have a similar situation, if they knew where Turkey was and the current situation there.

Thai's are better trained than Turks. Free speech is heading out the door soon to be followed by demonstrating and free thought. I have to quite using that tin foil hat in the evening I think my thoughts are being monitored.