Smug "(k)no(w) It Alls" On Land Ownership Rules

I really get fed up of people smugly telling people who purchased there houses via the company route how stupid they are. Its not as if people were trying to break the law they took the advice they were given by lawyers and purchased there houses.

It’s about time the Thai government came to its senses on this one. Most of us are not criminals or money launderers we just fell in love with the country and wanted to own a house here. Surly it’s not much to ask to be able to own a small bit of land with your own house on it? Most of us bring vast amounts of money from abroad into Thailand to spend there why aren’t the Thais welcoming us a bit more? There is no logic in all of this

"Know it all" mode on, because that's how it's spelt :D

I do feel for the people who've had bad advice and ended up with semi-legal property ownership vehicles :o

Not always their fault.

Edited by Crossy

One arguement for maintaining the unreasonable land ownership laws goes something like this: Right now the laws are unreasonable and foreign ownership is by and large not allowed....but.....there is STILL a huge number of foreigners who "own" land one way or another....if the laws were relaxed even a little bit this number would increase and perhaps to an unacceptable level.

Another arguement goes like this: If we make laws outlawing foreign ownership and then ignore the illegal activities by which foreigners think they have out maneuvered the law......then.....we get their money....and....at any time that we want to eject any or all of them all we have to do is enforce the law which "was in place when you tried to circumvent the law Mr. Farang so now you must leave!!!

Chownah

I really get fed up of people smugly telling people who purchased there houses via the company route how stupid they are. Its not as if people were trying to break the law they took the advice they were given by lawyers and purchased there houses.

It’s about time the Thai government came to its senses on this one. Most of us are not criminals or money launderers we just fell in love with the country and wanted to own a house here. Surly it’s not much to ask to be able to own a small bit of land with your own house on it? Most of us bring vast amounts of money from abroad into Thailand to spend there why aren’t the Thais welcoming us a bit more? There is no logic in all of this

All you known it alls After all you known grammar and everything

You known you were breaking Thai Law with these nutting companies

Now you say we were told we didn't known .

I am sorry you are just babies.

O.K. back on topic and the important stuff. :D

While no wanting unjust consideration.

After a qualifying period and proof of status..............................................................

I would like to think that it is reasonable to get the basic land / small house rights for our Thai families in a straight law abiding way.

( Husband AND wife, Husband Wife and children )

Getting it in a Thai spouses name is not what i consider straight forward.

We all know the downsides of this scenario.

As daveb1 observes we not only bring money into the country but many of us have assets at home that we want to also bring in to provide the basic needs for a legally owned family residence.

I am sorry i do not mention rights for the unattached but i am a legally married foreigner with a child and feel their needs are the first priority from my perspective.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Once again, don't go believing your own premis that Thai land owndership laws are unreasonable.

They are unreasonable to you, but they are not unreasonable to Thais.

Spot on. And let's not forget where we CHOOSE to live. It's not unreasonable for the laws to be stacked in favour of the Thais, is it?

Or do we assume that because we have more money, then we should enjoy special privileges in a foreign country?

Sorry but smug "KNOW" it alls did their homework BEFORE they bought their freehold condos. The found out that buying a house through a bogus company was NOT legal. We still don't know how this will work out so even if you did make a mistake it is still a big question what the Thai government will do. Personally I'd suggest the death penalty for the crooked lawyers who set up the bogus companies.

Their country.

Their rules.

If people really hate it they can leave otherwise stop whingeing about "fairness" (Is it fair some were born rich and white in the western world? Billions might not think so), get over it and act according to what you feel is best for you within the parameters.

Anybody who has bought land in Thailand should know that they are on very shaky legal ground.

There is mountains of evidence out there to support this.

I think most people will probably be alright but the way things are structured in Thailand vis a vis landownership there are no certainties and no guarantees.

I would feel sorry for anybody who lost out due the byzanitne land laws but there must be some personal accountability.

Foreigners in most circumstances cannot legally own land. End of story.

American President Nixon (a lawyer) resigned rather than face impeachment. Keep listening to and trusting lawyers. I don't. I always hire 2 lawyers. The second is to watch the first.

My GF has experienced lawyers here joking about how stupid we farangs are.

"American President Nixon (a lawyer) resigned rather than face impeachment."

American President Clinton (a lawyer) was impeached. What's your point?

Both are lawyers; both obviously lied and disgraced the Presidency. My point and opinion is a large percentage of lawyers cannot be trusted. My view is shared globally by others as well:

Politicians and lawyers top a global list of the most hated professions. Other reviled occupations in the survey of the best and worst jobs include:

Real estate agent

MP

Journalist

Advertising executive

Car dealer

Company director

Accountant

Doctors topped the most respected list. They were closely followed by:

Nurse

Teacher

Firefighter

Ambulance driver

Soldier

Scientist

Police officer

Caregiver

The internet poll saw over 12,000 registered voters have their say. Voters were invited to list the three professions they respected most, and least, out of a list of nearly 100.

Traffic wardens, bar staff, waitresses, call centre staff, cleaners and roadsweepers were neither loathed or loved.

In a New Zealand survey, The National Business Review found that prostitutes had the worst job but commanded more respect than politicians.

So just keep on trusting those Thai lawyers that say these bogus companies are "Okay".

I do feel sorry for those that fell for their crap advice.