Taking a dog on holiday for the first time

cooked

I have worked out that you can, with a bit of persistence, find somewhere that will accept a dog (we're not fussy about the accommodation, it just has to be clean and noise free).

In the past we left the two dogs at home and the one dog just refused to eat / go out for walks., which restricted our absences to four nights maximum. Now that his chum has died, we decided to take the (small) one with us next time so I am wondering: what kind of activities are possible / not possible? I guess food market visits and some restaurants are excluded but how about temples? National parks? Anything else?

Thanks.

i have heard good reports regarding CASTLE HOWCHOW BEACH RESORT, kranuan district of khon kaen.

run by a farang and wife.

i think its a 2hr.ride from korat,we would love to take our boy there,but its the drive could be a worry.

Why would the drive be a worry?  I used to drive once or twice a month from Koh Samui to my house in Nakhon Sawan province, 1000 kiilometers one way, 8 - 10 hours.  I traveled with two Golden Retrievers and a Lab in the modified back seat of my truck and a miniature poodle in the front..  When we stopped for gas , the dogs walked (on leases), we all shared hamburgers from 7-11 and a bottle of water.  I usually only stopped once around Petchaburi but could tell from their actions if another stop was required.  I never had a problem and they absolutely enjoyed spending the time in air conditioning.  My Golden retriever's first litter of puppies were born in the back seat around Chumpon and we stopped and she finished having them at the big rest stop in the middle of the highway in the hills.

If you parked your car in front of my house and left the door open the big male Golden would hop right in and make himself comfortable in the back seat ready to go!

57 minutes ago, wayned said:

Why would the drive be a worry?  I used to drive once or twice a month from Koh Samui to my house in Nakhon Sawan province, 1000 kiilometers one way, 8 - 10 hours.  I traveled with two Golden Retrievers and a Lab in the modified back seat of my truck and a miniature poodle in the front..  When we stopped for gas , the dogs walked (on leases), we all shared hamburgers from 7-11 and a bottle of water.  I usually only stopped once around Petchaburi but could tell from their actions if another stop was required.  I never had a problem and they absolutely enjoyed spending the time in air conditioning.  My Golden retriever's first litter of puppies were born in the back seat around Chumpon and we stopped and she finished having them at the big rest stop in the middle of the highway in the hills.

If you parked your car in front of my house and left the door open the big male Golden would hop right in and make himself comfortable in the back seat ready to go!

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I have no intention of taking a dog with me if I have to leave it in the car for hours at a time while visiting temples or whatever. We always take him with us on the school run, that isn't a problem. Never mind.

17 minutes ago, cooked said:

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I have no intention of taking a dog with me if I have to leave it in the car for hours at a time while visiting temples or whatever. We always take him with us on the school run, that isn't a problem. Never mind.

It wasn't pointed at you, it was a response to meatboy's comment:

"i think its a 2hr.ride from korat,we would love to take our boy there,but its the drive could be a worry."

I would never leave my dogs in the truck for more than a couple of minutes.

15 hours ago, wayned said:

It wasn't pointed at you, it was a response to meatboy's comment:

"i think its a 2hr.ride from korat,we would love to take our boy there,but its the drive could be a worry."

I would never leave my dogs in the truck for more than a couple of minutes.

it was the doctors advice this yr.after a mini stroke and a seizer.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

Sorry to hear that, I thought that you were referring to your boy riding in the car for 2 hours, not you!

the first was a mini stroke,spent 3days in hospital,had a brain scan and all that goes with it,good hospital care and a follow up.

but the what they call A GRAND MALLS SEIZER realy frightened me just over a month later,it even frightened my boy who sleeps with us.i missed him so,it made me stop drinking altogether.

i still take the dog for short rides but immigration trips the wife has to come.

Archived