Police harassing tourists on Koh Phangan: piss tests, dogs searching through things

56 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

You see it as harrassment.

They see it as doing their jobs.

It's a matter of perspective.

Is this actually happening, or did a mate who heard it in a bar tell you??

Their job is to sell the dope, not to harass anybody buying it !

Or maybe they have 2 jobs as usual...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

My inkling is that if that were an option, every dopehead in Thailand would buy a letter from a friendly doctor, signed by someone whose signature could be mistaken for a local cop's.  And it's not unheard of for people on meds to also partake of the speed or other recreational meds.

I keep the hospital phone number on speed dial anyway, and a hospital label from my meds in my wallet.  

For me, it's easier just to stay out of bars since I don't drink.

No dope no drink ? your life must be boring !!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Hmm maybe a market for providing drug free samples for tourists to carry around.  Presumably the cops don't actually watch you producing the sample so switch should be easy.

If they do watch, the cops' eyes would be feasting on my organ for an eternity. I find it difficult enough to piss at a men's urinal - even when I am the sole user of the trough. 

20 hours ago, impulse said:

To the OP, is there any corroboration, or just the (oh-so-reliable) coconut telegraph?

"...or just the (oh-so-reliable) coconut telegraph?"

...from people who probably should be concerned!

9 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Hmm maybe a market for providing drug free samples for tourists to carry around.  Presumably the cops don't actually watch you producing the sample so switch should be easy.

You obviously can't be serious with that suggestion ("Psst, you want to but some of my piss?") but they would be justifiably suspicious enough to test anyone after they find you carrying a sample!  The search happens first!

2 hours ago, helloagain said:

Thai visa it is called urine test not piss test you common lot

ThaiVisa didn't write it but despite your complaint about it you weren't offended  enough to not repeat it.

2 hours ago, timendres said:

Doesn't help when the cop is handing you a pre-laced, meth-positive bottle to piss into.

Suggestions like that don't help either, the follow-up test that has to be done would bugger their plan up, don't you think?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gdgbb said:

Suggestions like that don't help either, the follow-up test that has to be done would bugger their plan up, don't you think?

Given the choice between coughing up a few thousand baht to walk off, or going on to the next round knowing they were framed in round one, what do you think are the odds that a scared tourist would choose the hard way?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Never said anything about all cops, but with first-hand knowledge of exactly this circumstance, I can absolutely state that at least one did.

As my mother used to say, "I'll believe you, thousands wouldn't".

43 minutes ago, ethaniel said:

Just wanted to clarify.

2 personal friends of mine were made to go through urine tests in the last week.

Girlfriend of a person I know was sniffed by a dog during a traffic stop. Happened on the mountain shortcut road between Police Station and Baan Tai.

Also. 1000 baht seems to be the "donation" for not doing the piss test.

Don't do drugs myself, but people around me do smoke weed. I will have to pay a 60.000 baht bribe or go to jail if stopped at such a raid because obviously the weed will be in my system.

Police love finding new amazing ways of extorting money from tourists.

At what time they were checked?
Your friends comming from a party? (Halfmoon or Jungle
Experience?).

48 minutes ago, ethaniel said:

Don't do drugs myself, but people around me do smoke weed. I will have to pay a 60.000 baht bribe or go to jail if stopped at such a raid because obviously the weed will be in my system.

Did you not know that the offence is having the drug in your system, so isn't that your problem to sort out?   Do you have to hang around so much with so many idiots that your system takes in enough to test positive?  Geez.

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

Given the choice between coughing up a few thousand baht to walk off, or going on to the next round knowing they were framed in round one, what do you think are the odds that a scared tourist would choose the hard way?

Pretty sure most people who aren't junkies wouldn't have a problem with an official test as it would show negative.

Edited by gdgbb

"Don't do drugs myself, but people around me do smoke weed. I will have to pay a 60.000 baht bribe or go to jail if stopped at such a raid because obviously the weed will be in my system".

Don't understand this statement if you don't do drugs as you say why would it be in your system?

13 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

"Don't do drugs myself, but people around me do smoke weed. I will have to pay a 60.000 baht bribe or go to jail if stopped at such a raid because obviously the weed will be in my system".

Don't understand this statement if you don't do drugs as you say why would it be in your system?

When you inhale marijuana, even though it's not your's - it stays in your system.

Also, many prescription drugs can cause false positives in tests.

What I'm trying to say is - that the whole forced piss/blood test system is flawed. Even an innocent person can go to jail.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ethaniel said:

When you inhale marijuana, even though it's not your's - it stays in your system.

What I'm trying to say is - that the whole forced piss/blood test system is flawed. Even an innocent person can go to jail.

Sorry don't agree

• Like 2

Just now, ethaniel said:

Because you are completely closed-minded and fail to see the picture from another perspective.

So you posted one word from my comment to make it look as though that was the only word I used?  Why?

I see the picture from the perspective of someone who doesn't hang around with pot-heads so much that their secondhand smoke would give a non-smoker a positive test result.

8 minutes ago, ethaniel said:

When you inhale secondhand drug smoke you are inhaling a very small amount, unless you're really trying hard, of course.  And if the atmosphere is so thick with it that your intoxicant level worries you all you have to do is leave to somewhere you can breathe normal air like the rest of us.

What you are ignoring is that going to jail doesn't depend on one street urine test.   How many  instances of innocent people going to jail for false tests can you point to?

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

You've indicated that, unless someone's a junkie, they're okay with giving up their rights and their privacy for the illusions of safety.

So be it.  Maybe so.  But I doubt the majority of non-junkies would agree.  Maybe the majority of Fox News junkies...

But that means they're willing to give up my rights and my privacy for their illusion of safety.  That's wrong.  On many levels.  Ben Franklin had that one right.

What's next?  I shouldn't be bothered if the cops want to knock on my door and check my closets for contraband- as long as I have nothing to hide?  And that's not to mention the tragic failure that the war on drugs has been, destroying more lives and more families than the drugs ever did.  

What possible outcome from a random tourist piss test is a net benefit to society?  Piss testing for cause?  I have no problem with that.  Random testing of tourists minding their own business?  Big problem.  (And I'll be packed and headed to Swampy the day after they come in and look in my closets.)

"You've indicated that, unless someone's a junkie, they're okay with giving up their rights and their privacy for the illusions of safety."

No, I didn't, that's nothing like what I said.

"What's next?  I shouldn't be bothered if the cops want to knock on my door and check my closets for contraband- as long as I have nothing to hide?"

If the Thai authorities have the right to do that and you have nothing to hide how could it be a problem?

"What possible outcome from a random tourist piss test is a net benefit to society?"

Let's think....how about punishing a law-breaking drug taker and sending a message to others that taking drugs is not a particularly good idea?   But what makes you think that the tests are random, maybe the police have a reason to think a test may be appropriate?

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

Slippery slope you're on there.  What privacy (or other human right) do you figure they're going to violate next- that you'll be fine with?

They're not violating any right to privacy when there's a reasonable suspicion that illegal drugs may have been used.