Windows 8.1 pro (Original - Genuine) - any chance to find it in BKK?

thaimag

As thaimag states, Microsoft only sells the current version ot the OS. This applies as well to all authorized Microsoft resellers. Buying from a private seller (ie. eBay) or "grey market" is your best option.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Tapatalk

What reason can you have to want to buy 8.1 instead of WIN 10? I would understand if you wanted to get Windows 7, but I can assure you that Windows 10 is better then 8.1 and 7 combined. I have installed it on many pc's and laptops and it never causes any problems.

In fact all drivers needed are mostly provided by WIN 10...something you can't say about 8.1.

But anyway, that's my opinion and observation...  I'm sure you will get 8.1 but not original...

Jack

• Like 2

After you buy your Windows 8.1, trying installing Linux and running Windows in a VM or dual-booted (or both). 

After Microsoft's aggressive push to Win10 I made the move to Linux.  I keep Win7 around to run legacy apps but find that I seldom use it.  Sure, there is a bit of a learning curve, but than again, every time MS pushes out a new, buggy, resource-bloated operating system they generally destroy the user interface that you are use to.  At least with Linux you can choose a user interface that appeals to you and be guaranteed that it won't radically change over time. 

• Like 1

you can buy windows 10 licences with downgrade rights through Microsoft open licencing from a dealer. you can then download a previous version from the Microsoft volume licencing service center site. they are somewhat more expensive than retail copies though. I sell them in Oz. and can help you to purchase if you want. 

True, but where to buy a legal license to install it?

If the OS has never been installed on a machine (shrinkwrapped) and it's legal, the license will be accepted. If you get a list of product keys to "try" then you've got a bootleg.

On 2016-12-30 at 4:44 PM, lvr181 said:

Windows 8.1, why?

Probably because it´s a wish for that version. What do you think. Strange question. Same like why do you buy a hamburger instead of a hot dog?

Edited by Get Real

• 2 weeks later...
On 30-12-2016 at 2:52 PM, connda said:

After you buy your Windows 8.1, trying installing Linux and running Windows in a VM or dual-booted (or both). 

After Microsoft's aggressive push to Win10 I made the move to Linux.  I keep Win7 around to run legacy apps but find that I seldom use it.  Sure, there is a bit of a learning curve, but than again, every time MS pushes out a new, buggy, resource-bloated operating system they generally destroy the user interface that you are use to.  At least with Linux you can choose a user interface that appeals to you and be guaranteed that it won't radically change over time. 

I'm sorry to say, but what you are writing is nonsense. Just because Windows 10 or 8.1 for that matter looks a bit different, it is by far better then any Ubuntu or Linux destribution. The way you use Windows 10 is not much different from the use of Windows 7. The major difference is that it has added a lot of new features. If you don't like the tiles, you can take them out or shut them. The screen is still the same. You can clutter it with all your shortcuts and make it look like your old screen before.

You don't need to adapt to new programs, unless you rund those from before Windows XP.

If any OSses are buggy, then the Linux distributions. It is always very difficult (I'm an experienced user) to work with them.

I have tried many versions. I always ended up continuing working with Windows. I like to play games like Doom 2016, Tomb Raider etc... where do you find those? I use specific programs for my music and pictures, which are not to be found or equalled by Ubuntu versions.

I wanted to use Ubuntu.... but whatever they promise, Windows just does it better!

Especially Windows 10 is the best OS ever. 

Do you use two screens? A projector? Try to do it with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is stiff, unflexible. Updates from programs always require passwords and if you forget the major password, you can forget ever to be able to log into Ubuntu...

Windows is more forgivable...

Windows can read nearly all Drive formats. Can Ubuntu do this? Yes, it can read, but are you able to use a NTFS formatted drive? As far as I tried.... nope! 

Installing Windows is clear. Formatting your drive to do so, easy. No cryptic names for your drives. Windows just reserves a small partition of your drive for backup. Otherwise it just uses whatever you tell Windows to do.

Do you store your files like documents, pictures, movies, music on a different partition or drive? You can tell Windows where they are or where you want to have them. How is that with Ubuntu?

I wouldn't recommend Windows 8.0 or 8.1 and nowadays not Windows 7 anymore. Windows 7 was great after XP and Vista, but it can't reach the possibilities and safety of a Windows 10. 

I still like to experiment with the different versions of Ubuntu. Ubuntu Mint is very nice too. But like I already mentioned... not as good as Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry to say, but what you are writing is nonsense. Just because Windows 10 or 8.1 for that matter looks a bit different, it is by far better then any Ubuntu or Linux destribution. The way you use Windows 10 is not much different from the use of Windows 7. The major difference is that it has added a lot of new features. If you don't like the tiles, you can take them out or shut them. The screen is still the same. You can clutter it with all your shortcuts and make it look like your old screen before.

You don't need to adapt to new programs, unless you rund those from before Windows XP.

If any OSses are buggy, then the Linux distributions. It is always very difficult (I'm an experienced user) to work with them.

I have tried many versions. I always ended up continuing working with Windows. I like to play games like Doom 2016, Tomb Raider etc... where do you find those? I use specific programs for my music and pictures, which are not to be found or equalled by Ubuntu versions.

I wanted to use Ubuntu.... but whatever they promise, Windows just does it better!

Especially Windows 10 is the best OS ever. 

Do you use two screens? A projector? Try to do it with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is stiff, unflexible. Updates from programs always require passwords and if you forget the major password, you can forget ever to be able to log into Ubuntu...

Windows is more forgivable...

Windows can read nearly all Drive formats. Can Ubuntu do this? Yes, it can read, but are you able to use a NTFS formatted drive? As far as I tried.... nope! 

Installing Windows is clear. Formatting your drive to do so, easy. No cryptic names for your drives. Windows just reserves a small partition of your drive for backup. Otherwise it just uses whatever you tell Windows to do.

Do you store your files like documents, pictures, movies, music on a different partition or drive? You can tell Windows where they are or where you want to have them. How is that with Ubuntu?

I wouldn't recommend Windows 8.0 or 8.1 and nowadays not Windows 7 anymore. Windows 7 was great after XP and Vista, but it can't reach the possibilities and safety of a Windows 10. 

I still like to experiment with the different versions of Ubuntu. Ubuntu Mint is very nice too. But like I already mentioned... not as good as Windows 10.

I wonder just how hard you tried using all those Linux distributions. With the exception of gaming, just about everything you said that Linux cannot do is, in fact doable. Reading/writing NTFS? It most certainly can. Naming drives? Yep. Choosing which partition to which you can save files? Absoutely! I dual boot Ubuntu/Windows 10 and have a shared NTFS partition to which both OSs can read and write, and neither OS complains.

Having a root password is a security feature in Linux, disallowing non-root users from doing damage to the OS. For years Windows, by default, allowed normal users to run as an administrator, allowing for every sort of exploit (virus, trojan horse, malware, etc).

While Ubuntu is my go-to OS, I find that Windows 10 is far and away the best iteration of Windows to date, and I now find myself using it more than ever before. It has the leanest code-base of any prior version. As you point out, customizing the deskop is trivial, and the Smart Screen is brilliant.

I work in a very OS-agnostic environment, and administer several hundred Windows, Mac and Linux end-user computers, and a server room full of Linux servers, along with a couple of Windows servers and aging XServes (Apple). I've watched each OS mature over the years, and interoperability is better now than ever (Microsoft has learned to play nice with Linux, especially with the inclusion of Core Linux in Windows 10, which allows Linux shell commands to run in Windows).

Can't we all just learn to get along?

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2016 at 2:37 PM, ehs818 said:

I have a new, sealed, unused ORIGINAL OEM System Builder Pack version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit available that I'm willing to sell. Price is 3500 baht. Contact me by email if you are interested in it. I'm in Pattaya.

Eric

[email protected]

I have a brand new Ford Anglia for sale !!!!   lol

I would try in one of those second hand shops in Pantip or something similar.

Lots of people bought original 8.1 and then updated for free to Windows 10.

Officially you are not allowed to use those old 8.1 licenses anymore if it was used for any update. But I am pretty sure they will still work...