2016 is year of government's interference and media's depression : journalist association

webfact

2016 is year of government's interference and media's depression : journalist association

ab7e7709087c2a0483e881e1acac5c14.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- This year was a year of "government's interference and the media's depression," the Thai Journalists Association (TJA) said in a brief report released today.

The media situation in Thailand has continued to be obscure and among the constraints were the special power and the orders of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) as well as the premier's negative attitude towards the media's work, it said.

The TJA said the government is trying to interfere and control the media in many ways claiming the "media reform".

Recently, the media reform steering committee of the National Reform Steering Assembly (NRSA) deliberated the draft bill on the rights protection, ethical promotion and professional standards of media professionals.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303154

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-30

This is BS. I work in this field and know quite a few Thai journalists. I'm sorry but they wouldn't know "ethical promotion and professional standards of media professionals" if it hit them over the head. Self-sensorship is the game and always has been.

15 hours ago, cms22 said:

This is BS. I work in this field and know quite a few Thai journalists. I'm sorry but they wouldn't know "ethical promotion and professional standards of media professionals" if it hit them over the head. Self-sensorship is the game and always has been.

You work in the field?  Yet you use a word like self-sensorship?  Really makes me wonder what you did in 'this field'.

Sensor:  A sensor is a device that detects and responds to some type of input from the physical environment.

Censor:

noun:    an official who examines material that is about to be released, such as books, movies, news, and art, and suppresses any parts that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
(in ancient Rome) either of two magistrates who held censuses and supervised public morals.

verb:    examine (a book, movie, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.  

IMHO, in terms of overall professionalism both the print and TV etc., media and the Thai journalists are very lacking, and especially in terms of checking details and in follow up.

About 12 years ago my company made an agreement to supply content for the 'business' section of an English daily.

Their Thai journalists came to our office, acted superior, demanded expensive etc., and asked what freebies we could offer.

I gave them some researched based materials, told them the research source must be mentioned in full, and I tried to quickly explain it, they just ignored me and my Thai colleagues. I then asked if we could see a draft of what they would put in the newspaper. They were highly insulted and told me so. The article appeared a couple of days later with numerous mistakes, very wrong key words and totally illogical. My Thai senior called them and mentioned there were errors, their response: 'but we think our version is better'.  We cancelled the agreement. Seems to me very little has changed.

Edited by scorecard

"...Recently, the media reform steering committee of the National Reform Steering Assembly (NRSA) deliberated the draft bill on the rights protection, ethical promotion and professional standards of media professionals..."

Despite what the NRSA and others may think about Thai journalists (and media), at least they do have a Code of Conduct - https://accountablejournalism.org/?/ethics-codes/Thailand-Journalists-Association.

Just imagine what abuses would be attempted if the media is nobbled !!!

dont shoot.jpg

17 minutes ago, cms22 said:

It is the same underlying [pun intended] practice where professors are not permitted to fail students. Reality be dam**d. Propaganda will out.

29 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

You work in the field?  Yet you use a word like self-sensorship?  Really makes me wonder what you did in 'this field'.

Sensor:  A sensor is a device that detects and responds to some type of input from the physical environment.

Censor:

noun:    an official who examines material that is about to be released, such as books, movies, news, and art, and suppresses any parts that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
(in ancient Rome) either of two magistrates who held censuses and supervised public morals.

verb:    examine (a book, movie, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.  

Which comes full circle back to the headline. While journalists and the media may in fact be depressed, and probably are, the overriding fact is that they are oppressed and suppressed.

Even before the coup, the media as a whole was never that good or free.  John McCain made a remark about how great and free the Thai media was at the Foreign Correspondents Club in Bangkok or the FCCB.  He was then told that Thailand was ranked #51 in the world in regards to freedom of the press.   There are some good journalists, but they face great difficulties working in Thailand. 

11 hours ago, arrowsdawdle said:

It is the same underlying [pun intended] practice where professors are not permitted to fail students. Reality be dam**d. Propaganda will out.

'...not allowed to fail...' is not new, it's been in place for many years, but of course doesn't help anything.

It's seen in primary and high schools but in my experience not in universities. The uni's where I work / have worked don't practice it and very recently in one uni where I work professors have been told to fail students when appropriate and not offer extra assignments etc., to improve grades. I don't know about other unis.

20 hours ago, WhizBang said:

Censor:

Ah, the spelling brigade is on the rampage again ...

The guy makes a very interesting comment, and you have nothing to say to that, but he mispells a word, and oh dear God, how shocking !! So off you go on your high horse, lashing about in full pompous mode.

There is a word that describes the likes of you, it starts with an a and ends with hole. I'm not sure you'll find it in your dictionary, though.

Edited by Yann55

On 30/12/2016 at 2:46 PM, WhizBang said:

Censor:

Maybe he delivers sarnies to some newspaper's offices.