webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Try having a poll up here in the NE and NW. The most disliked man i've ever witnessed Thais have a disdain for.

They don't count, almost certainly weren't asked, and anyway by the time the "reforms" are complete they probably won't have a vote.

Edited by JAG

10 hours ago, Reigntax said:

I suppose they didnt allow Thaksin votes or were they just excluded ?

Thought they had excluded monkey candidates.. So Thaksin should have mopped all the votes up.. shocking news. Bring back the bleating chimp on a stage ... Has he come out of hiding with the monks yet? The monkey and the chimp would make a perfect double act

3 hours ago, wiko said:

If you count up the 3 finalist in the poll you get 100% of the votes, which mean there were only 3 carefully chosen candidates.

Another example of freedom of choice and expression in Thailand

I noticed exactly the same thing.  80.69 + 10.12 + 9.19 = 100.00

The same can be observed from the top 3 male politicians - the percentages add up to exactly 100.00 %

What are the odds of this happening from a sample set of 5,964?  I'm guessing it was a closed answer affair - i.e., respondents could only choose from the options printed on the survey.  Alternatively, the results were massaged to make them ready for publication.  Either way, it seems remarkable that a national leader of a diverse and conflicted society would garner 80% plus of a popularity vote.  I would like to know the selection method that Dusit Poll used to choose their respondents.      

I initially laughed heartily at the headline for this 'survey', but now reflecting on the narrow response and double digit accuracy, I feel a little chilled.   

8 minutes ago, bluegum said:

I'm guessing it was a closed answer affair - i.e., respondents could only choose from the options printed on the survey. 

You mean the same as every poll ever conducted in the entire history of polls ever?

ps

The share of the vote percentages are completely unrelated to sample size.....

3 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

You mean the same as every poll ever conducted in the entire history of polls ever?

ps

The share of the vote percentages are completely unrelated to sample size.....

I see your point.  But in my view, any poll worth its salt should at least give a 'none of the above' option or an open-ended 'other' line to fill in (I know, TIT).  It seems that wasn't the case here and its really a farce if respondents were only given the choice of 3 individuals - head of the junta, coach of the national football team and the current hip rockstar.  C'mon, Dusit Poll...    

10 minutes ago, bluegum said:

I see your point.  But in my view, any poll worth its salt should at least give a 'none of the above' option or an open-ended 'other' line to fill in (I know, TIT).  It seems that wasn't the case here and its really a farce if respondents were only given the choice of 3 individuals

The vast majority of democratic elections in the west don't include a 'non of the above' option so I don't think this is specific to Thailand or TIT!  In fact the only time I recall ever seeing such an option is on a forum poll.

Can you think of a recent and world famous poll about something infinitely more important where there was only a choice of 2 individuals ?

43 minutes ago, bluegum said:

I noticed exactly the same thing.  80.69 + 10.12 + 9.19 = 100.00

The same can be observed from the top 3 male politicians - the percentages add up to exactly 100.00 %

What are the odds of this happening from a sample set of 5,964?  I'm guessing it was a closed answer affair - i.e., respondents could only choose from the options printed on the survey.  Alternatively, the results were massaged to make them ready for publication.  Either way, it seems remarkable that a national leader of a diverse and conflicted society would garner 80% plus of a popularity vote.  I would like to know the selection method that Dusit Poll used to choose their respondents.      

I initially laughed heartily at the headline for this 'survey', but now reflecting on the narrow response and double digit accuracy, I feel a little chilled.   

So Ronald McDonald could have won had the other 2 nominees been Neville Nobody and John Doe.

9 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

The vast majority of democratic elections in the west don't include a 'non of the above' option so I don't think this is specific to Thailand or TIT!  In fact the only time I recall ever seeing such an option is on a forum poll.

Can you think of a recent and world famous poll about something infinitely more important where there was only a choice of 2 individuals ?

Oh no! Don't bring anything so dysfunctional as the US electoral system into this conversation!  555  Dusit Poll's 2-decimal point descriptions of Thai public opinion is excruciating enough.

Actually, we need to be clear that this is just an opinion poll and can't really be compared to an election.  For the record, open-ended questions are quite often used in quantitative surveys.  Dusit Poll preferred not to use them in this case it seems.   

So 5.994 or so gave him a vote...out of a population of +60 million, those numbers are awesome...and, yes, I know what a poll is all about.
So I wonder, did they call only the local Bangkok gentry, or did they travel to village after village in the northern provinces in search of the opinion of the less prosperous citizens....?
I'm joking of course, a man of statue such as him would without a doubt be the peoples choice..
Happy new year !

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

And those who didnt vote for blunderboy are currently the subject of some attitude adjustment.

With Thailand being the hub of the universe as we know it, of course the master would succeed. All we need now is an aparartus to perch himself on where he can be constantly rotated and look upon the wasteland of his, and his cohorts creation

2 hours ago, currynamnam said:

So 5.994 or so gave him a vote...out of a population of +60 million, those numbers are awesome...and, yes, I know what a poll is all about.
So I wonder, did they call only the local Bangkok gentry, or did they travel to village after village in the northern provinces in search of the opinion of the less prosperous citizens....?
I'm joking of course, a man of statue such as him would without a doubt be the peoples choice..
Happy new year !

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

5,994, I guess it was just a wild coincidence that that is also the exact number of Thai Army Generals

Edited by pegman

And I just read on 'the other paper''s site an orchestra director in Rome was fired for telling his audience 'Santaclaus does not exist'...

Any hope to see the guys behind this Dusit 'poll' be fired to...? I guess not, different country, LOL

41 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

A bit sexist this award, what about woman of the year? Who is Thailand's woman of the year?

'Wilsonandson', indeed, 'personality of the year' would for sure have been better, ...but would the man chosen in Dusit's 'poll' have then been qualified?

And, anyway, the odds for a lady to get it would IMO be 1/1,000 in this not just sexist, but plain machist country (while it's the female part of the population taking care of most things, hard work included...).