No deaths on Day 1 of ‘Seven Days of Danger’

snoop1130

No deaths on Day 1 of ‘Seven Days of Danger’

Kongleaphy Keam

1_2016123015200500_mCbjFyHsvmXUncsHpdIKL

PHUKET:-- Phuket started the ‘Seven Days of Danger’ with zero deaths and 10 injuries, according to official statistics provided by the Phuket office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM).

The current road safety campaign, which is held nationwide during peak holiday seasons (only), runs from December 29, 2016 to January 4, 2017.

Police say they inspected 1,968 vehicles on the first day and recorded 570 moving violations.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/No-deaths-Day-of-Seven-Days-Danger/66057?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-30

More than 11% of checked drivers/riders had no license. And that's during a time where most people know about these road blocks and a big number will avoid them. I'd imagine overall the number of people riding every day on the roads without license is much higher.

Oh and even during this peak time of checking traffic violators they only found 14 people riding in the wrong direction island-wide during a whole 24h? Stand on any given day at any of the major roads for one hour and you'll spot more...

14 hours ago, bubblegum said:

555 the day just started 

hmmm....this is very misleading...relating only to Phuket, actually 42 people were routinely slaughtered nationwide in the first day of the seven days of stupidity on Thai roads

15 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm....this is very misleading...relating only to Phuket, actually 42 people were routinely slaughtered nationwide in the first day of the seven days of stupidity on Thai roads

Errr- as this is a PHUKET forum it is not misleading, although the headline should have been 'No REPORTED Deaths on Day 1'. 

Officials massaging figures to fudge- never happens!

7 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Listening to all the ambulance sirens wonder where they are going? Oh that is right lots of people have heart attacks in Thailand Come on you are going to tell me they going to road accidents which are a rare occurrence in Thailand 

Exactly... I wonder how accurate is the reporting.

Yesterday about 12.20 near the top of the hill out of Kata to Chalong I saw a very large crowd of farangs looking at battered bike(s?). One farang lady laid out,no medics yet there, 2 ambulances racing up from the circle.

Today about 12.40 on way over from Karon to Patong, bike in the ditch, cluster of farangs, one policemen in attendance. Older farang banged up but Ok.

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

Listening to all the ambulance sirens wonder where they are going? Oh that is right lots of people have heart attacks in Thailand Come on you are going to tell me they going to road accidents which are a rare occurrence in Thailand 

They only count those who are dead at the scene. 

Very easy to manipulate the road fatality statistics here.  

I am not a naive foreigner havingf broken both arms here in bike accidents ao aware of the dangers but I think the fact that it is felt newsworthy there had been zero deaths sums up what is wrong with attitudes here.

Regardless of the accuracy or measurements used in the statistics surely the fact that there is no deaths should be the goal every day not just something that is praised and newsworthy for a week?

I find it laughable that what should be the norm is lauded as an achievement. The 

Edited by swbaggies

I was surprised by the total lack of police checks just now at 1am on new years night when driving from Rawai to Pa Khlok. Most "checkpoints" were unmanned and those that had someone, didn't stop anyone and played with their phones.

"People keep telling this, totally incorrect." - link please.

Same discussion last year, or songkran, when somebody was involved in an accident in the late evening, died the same night but next day in hospital and was included in next days numbers.
So yes, people dying in hospital after a road accident are included in the fatalities numbers.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app