jonn1

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jvs said:

I guess a lot of people ask that question before they come to Thailand,you can figure it all out before you move here.

Once you are here what are you going to do?Sit around all day?Nice for the first few months but the shine does wear

of fast.

Do you have hobbies?Fishing? Traveling?Golf? All cost money and you will need to find something to occupy

your time.

I have seen a lot of people turn slowly into alcoholics.

Thailand is a great country to stay imo but it is not for everyone.

Learn to say no and choose your friends carefully.

"... Learn to say no and choose your friends carefully. ..."  Very wise comment.

- There is the chance other foeignrs will want to borrow from you, always (always) say NO. Tell a lie or whatever but don't loan to others.

- I've been here more than 3 decades, I realized a long time ago there a big % of foreigners I would not allow to enter my house.

Examples:

- A foreigner I thought was a good friend. My expensive camera disappeared and years later his partner arrived with same .

- A friend worked in an office tower in bkk and he had a several times shared courtesies with another  foreigner who worked in my building. Second foreigner asks my friend if he could join friends family (his wife (a professional Thai lady) and kids) at his holiday house on the beach for the long week-end. Two am in the morning and lots of loud noise downstairs, friend goes downstairs followed by his 16 yr and 10 yr old daughters, there's a nude orgy in process.

Foreigner conducting the orgy can't understand what's wrong - he had taken on the attitude that his behavior was 'totally normal'.

Made me realize very quickly to choose foreign friends very carefully. 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"... Learn to say no and choose your friends carefully. ..."  Very wise comment.

- There is the chance other foeignrs will want to borrow from you, always (always) say NO. Tell a lie or whatever but don't loan to others.

- I've been here more than 3 decades, I realized a long time ago there a big % of foreigners I would not allow to enter my house.

Examples:

- A foreigner I thought was a good friend. My expensive camera disappeared and years later his partner arrived with same .

- A friend worked in an office tower in bkk and he had a several times shared courtesies with another  foreigner who worked in my building. Second foreigner asks my friend if he could join friends family (his wife (a professional Thai lady) and kids) at his holiday house on the beach for the long week-end. Two am in the morning and lots of loud noise downstairs, friend goes downstairs followed by his 16 yr and 10 yr old daughters, there's a nude orgy in process.

Foreigner conducting the orgy can't understand what's wrong - he had taken on the attitude that his behavior was 'totally normal'.

Made me realize very quickly to choose foreign friends very carefully. 

thanks for the advice scorecard - I think I would be very naive and trusting so this helps - I have lived abroad before (not in asia) and I have been guilty of looking for friends with more enthusiasm than I would do at home 

10 minutes ago, Gary A said:

Everyone lives differently. You won't know for sure until you live here yourself and then live as you  normally would. I inflated my guess so I would be safe when I retired. I had some advantage because I worked her for a number of years before I retired.  That wasn't really much of an advantage because the company paid for housing, utilities and transportation. After I retired, I kept a spreadsheet religiously and found that my expenses were far below my estimates. I discovered that I could afford to buy a condo. That lowered my monthly expenses even more. My pensions allow me a healthy surplus every month. I had health insurance until they priced me out. I dropped the policy when I was 65 years old. I have enough of a nest egg to pay what was the policy limits.

Well said.

Another possibility is to make sure you have full information about costs and procedures for repatriation, especially folks who can go home to a 'free' health cover system. 

One of my buddies in Pattaya, older guy, enjoys putting together different 'envelopes' full of information about different scenarios. Many folks would find this boring and silly, but my buddy enjoys doing it and he regularly updates his scenario envelopes. He often mentions he updated his xxxx envelopes and shows me, and his efforts have alerted me to several things / options / possibilities that I wasn't aware of. 

The key word - preparation.

There are lots of ways to figure this, but here is an easy way... you can find a place to live in CM or many small cities for as little as $75 or $100 US a month... Thai people live at that price. The places are not great but livable - there are better places with farang living there for $2-300 a month. 

You can eat a meal, thai style for $1-2. Just a fried rice or soup... 

so bare bones, if you figure $300 a month for lodging and $300 a month for food, then everything else is discretionary. So, yes, you can live ok on that amount of money. Having some savings is nice too.

I used CM because it is relatively inexpensive. I live in a small city and those same numbers as above pretty well apply too... hope this helps.

Consider chumphon: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/509800-maats-guide-to-living-near-chumphon-town/

But i do somewhat agree on the health cover thing. I used to think it was trivial until i saw some older expats go through several hundred k baht for heart surgery or some other major operation (still cheaper than home country). Outside of that, it is cheap to live if you are in moderately good health. Some Europeans and i think Australians get decent 'free' health care (although u must return to home country to get covered procedures done). USA citizens do not.

Some people dont worry about it....others have full health coverage. But unless it is govt-backed or obtained via employment, not sure how reliable thai insurance is. I saw one couple get their policy cancelled, even though it was already determined it wasnt a pre-existing condition.

Dont want to get too far off topic or spook OP too much. Best to ask the expats on the ground how they handle the health thing as you visit potential places. It ranges from just waiting to die to having full cover + cash savings. Its the freedom to choose how to live ur life that makes Thailand kind of cool.

4 minutes ago, jonn1 said:

thanks for the advice scorecard - I think I would be very naive and trusting so this helps - I have lived abroad before (not in asia) and I have been guilty of looking for friends with more enthusiasm than I would do at home 

On the other hand there's also lots of very genuine, intelligent and reliable foreigners living here.

4 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Consider chumphon: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/509800-maats-guide-to-living-near-chumphon-town/

But i do somewhat agree on the health cover thing. I used to think it was trivial until i saw some older expats go through several hundred k baht for heart surgery or some other major operation (still cheaper than home country). Outside of that, it is cheap to live if you are in moderately good health. Some Europeans and i think Australians get decent 'free' health care (although u must return to home country to get covered procedures done). USA citizens do not.

Some people dont worry about it....others have full health coverage. But unless it is govt-backed or obtained via employment, not sure how reliable thai insurance is. I saw one couple get their policy cancelled, even though it was already determined it wasnt a pre-existing condition.

Dont want to get too far off topic or spook OP too much. Best to ask the expats on the ground how they handle the health thing as you visit potential places. It ranges from just waiting to die to having full cover + cash savings. Its the freedom to choose how to live ur life that makes Thailand kind of cool.

not spooked - I need to be realistic - thanks jonn 

No kids or rent, outskirts of Korat, wife and I average $2,000/mo.  If we hit a stretch of active socializing in the city with friends, bit of local travel, spikes to around $2,400.00.   Keep a couple mil in the bank for medical/other contingencies and for show and tell at Immigration once a year.

I didn't retire to live in a shoebox or eat entirely Thai food. I bought a 60 square meter livable condo near the beach. I still have the condo and only use it rarely but it is there when I want it. My Thai wife had a small two bedroom western style home upcountry when we married. Over the years I have further westernized it and added on. Over the years I now eat probably 80 percent Thai food. My wife is a good cook so I am fortunate. I like my toys and having a decent vehicle/vehicles. Anything less would mean just surviving. I worked all my life so I could enjoy my retirement.

8 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I didn't retire to live in a shoebox or eat entirely Thai food. I bought a 60 square meter livable condo near the beach. I still have the condo and only use it rarely but it is there when I want it. My Thai wife had a small two bedroom western style home upcountry when we married. Over the years I have further westernized it and added on. Over the years I now eat probably 80 percent Thai food. My wife is a good cook so I am fortunate. I like my toys and having a decent vehicle/vehicles. Anything less would mean just surviving. I worked all my life so I could enjoy my retirement.

And most of us feel the same way, so what? How does this help the OP who asked a very legitimate question about existing and what it would be like on his budget? 

why not just come here, rent a condo and try it,

if it dosnt suit well at least you tried,

people live differently, we have a farm our monthly out going are all paid for from our farm so it costs me nothing,

you on the other hand have said you want to live near the beach and mountains, 

rent youll find something for 10k

food depends on what you like to eat, thai of falang,

just give it a go mate,

get your ass on that plane

oh and happy new year

jake

3 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

people live differently, we have a farm our monthly out going are all paid for from our farm so it costs me nothing,

just give it a go mate,

oh and happy new year

jake

"... why not just come here, rent a condo and try it ..."

Great advice and don't expect utopia, you know already it doesn't exist.

Like everything in this world, there are pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses, ups and downs, frustrations and many positives.

And I suspect most of us would agree that Thailand is not for everybody, come and try and don't burn your bridges. 

41 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I hope that this thread doesnt into a "My autobiography " thread

30 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

just give it a go mate,

oh and happy new year

jake

lol Jake - you make it sound soooo easy - which it is :smile: I have some loose ends to get tidied up in the UK and I think I will have another couple of trips out there but this thread has convinced me it is worth giving it a whirl thanks :sleepy:

All many thanks for your inputs they have all been very informative and they are much appreciated - I thought I would be hit with a lot of negativity and unfriendly comments 

I've just realised it is late in Thailand so can I wish you all the best for the new year and good luck for all us in 2017 :partytime2:

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

And most of us feel the same way, so what? How does this help the OP who asked a very legitimate question about existing and what it would be like on his budget? 

The point being is that if you think you are going to come here, have a good life with very little money, you better think again. You have to carefully plan your retirement. If you don't have a lifetime livable income you will be miserable. Thailand is a great place to live if you can afford it. You don't have to be wealthy but you do need enough money to have a decent life.

The op has enough income to live pretty much as he wants. He doesn't need or want to live the expensive party life like some. He will do just fine.

Edited by Gary A

3 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The point being is that if you think you are going to come here, have a good life with very little money, you better think again. You have to carefully plan your retirement. If you don't have a lifetime livable income you will be miserable. Thailand is a great place to live if you can afford it. You don't have to be wealthy but you do need enough money to have a decent life.

Gary thanks - this goes back to my question though - is 1500 gbp enough for a decent life in Thailand - if I stay this will increase when I can draw my pension so things will get better but for now 1500 gbp will be the amount I am comfortable with to cover any outgoings - I think the consensus is that it will be enough without me living the high life :smile: 

Gary thanks - this goes back to my question though - is 1500 gbp enough for a decent life in Thailand - if I stay this will increase when I can draw my pension so things will get better but for now 1500 gbp will be the amount I am comfortable with to cover any outgoings - I think the consensus is that it will be enough without me living the high life :smile: 

It's enough.

3 minutes ago, jonn1 said:

I live quite well on considerably less than that. To tell the whole story, it cost me several million baht to get to this situation but without two different places to live and without two vehicles, two motorbikes and a number of toys, I could easily live on what you have.

1 hour ago, jonn1 said:

Jonn - - I think we have all been responding to your finances and have been skirting the larger issue. Maybe I missed it, but have you ever been here? Most people I know love Thailand and would not want to live anywhere else. The larger question is where will you be happiest? Yes, your money will go further here than England. That should settle the financial question... Let me turn it around - Is 1500 GBP enough for a decent life in Britain? I would guess you will have 3-4x or more the buying power here... 

But for me, the larger issue would be living in Thailand. I can probably live wherever I wanted but this would be my first choice by far... and that is all about the people. I prefer living amongst Thai as they smile easily and are much happier and less stressed than people in the West. And this would be the largest consideration for me.

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

I live quite well on considerably less than that. To tell the whole story, it cost me several million baht to get to this situation but without two different places to live and without two vehicles, two motorbikes and a number of toys, I could easily live on what you have.

And yes Gary, I am in a similar situation. Having built a house a long time ago, my only bills are electric and water which together run me about 2500 baht per month. And we live well for that. 

27 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Jonn - - I think we have all been responding to your finances and have been skirting the larger issue. Maybe I missed it, but have you ever been here? Most people I know love Thailand and would not want to live anywhere else. The larger question is where will you be happiest? Yes, your money will go further here than England. That should settle the financial question... Let me turn it around - Is 1500 GBP enough for a decent life in Britain? I would guess you will have 3-4x or more the buying power here... 

But for me, the larger issue would be living in Thailand. I can probably live wherever I wanted but this would be my first choice by far... and that is all about the people. I prefer living amongst Thai as they smile easily and are much happier and less stressed than people in the West. And this would be the largest consideration for me.

Kenk - I have been to Thailand about 4 times and will have another couple of trips soon - I have not seen much of Thailand - only Phuket and BKK - but I like the people and intrigued by the culture - I have also visited malaysia, vietnam, india and the phillipines but I think thailand is the more suitable for me. I have lived overseas before and I think I understand some of the challenges (although they may be different there) but this is a lifestyle change for me. Moving to asia should let me (semi) retire early whereas I would need to work till I am 60 if I remain in the UK - so my reasons are for both financial and lifestyle reasons - I hope this isn't too waffly :) 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

It costs 1200 Baht per day to live in Chiang mai

1500 Baht per day in Bangkok 

1700 Baht per day in Koh Samuii

1450 Baht per day in Pattaya

1550 Baht per day in Pukett

Probably not a bad ballpark estimate. The countryside can be a bit cheaper.

10 minutes ago, jonn1 said:

Kenk - I have been to Thailand about 4 times and will have another couple of trips soon - I have not seen much of Thailand - only Phuket and BKK - but I like the people and intrigued by the culture - I have also visited malaysia, vietnam, india and the phillipines but I think thailand is the more suitable for me. I have lived overseas before and I think I understand some of the challenges (although they may be different there) but this is a lifestyle change for me. Moving to asia should let me (semi) retire early whereas I would need to work till I am 60 if I remain in the UK - so my reasons are for both financial and lifestyle reasons - I hope this isn't too waffly :) 

We are moving in Feb 2017 to retire. I am a 54 yo American with a Thai wife (24 years being married). Basically I am in  the same situation I could keep working to age 62, or retire now on a military retirement that will more than cover my monthly living expenses. It was an easy decision for me.

1 minute ago, Ahab said:

We are moving in Feb 2017 to retire. I am a 54 yo American with a Thai wife (24 years being married). Basically I am in  the same situation I could keep working to age 62, or retire now on a military retirement that will more than cover my monthly living expenses. It was an easy decision for me.

yeh similar plans - working till I am 60+ has lost its appeal over the last year or two :smile: have you (or your wife) decided where you live yet?

Just now, jonn1 said:

yeh similar plans - working till I am 60+ has lost its appeal over the last year or two :smile: have you (or your wife) decided where you live yet?

Buriram (I like the countryside) for the first year or so, we plan on traveling within Thailand extensively after the first year or so.